2024 Conference on the 8th Council

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently Metropolitan Seraphim of Pirus was added to the conference's speak list. This is interesting considering people's unfounded speculation that the Metropolitan was on bad terms with Father Peter Heers. Hence, if ROCOR is correct that their reception of Father Peter was invalid due to the canonical release to the MP being bungled, then, it seems pretty clear there are no issues with the original bishop who issued the release.

Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

Platina

Nov 3, 2017
Mechanicsburg
✟229,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Apparently Metropolitan Seraphim of Pirus was added to the conference's speak list. This is interesting considering people's unfounded speculation that the Metropolitan was on bad terms with Father Peter Heers. Hence, if ROCOR is correct that their reception of Father Peter was invalid due to the canonical release to the MP being bungled, then, it seems pretty clear there are no issues with the original bishop who issued the release.
Exactly my thought.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
good point

Upvote 0
Nov 27, 2023
downers grove
✟2,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello. Can someone please explain to me what this council is supposed to address (if such information is even known)? I looked online and google doesnt seem to understand what information Im looking for (which is mostly likely due to me putting my question into google in a manor that google doesnt understand)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello. Can someone please explain to me what this council is supposed to address (if such information is even known)? I looked online and google doesnt seem to understand what information Im looking for (which is mostly likely due to me putting my question into google in a manor that google doesnt understand)
Constantinople IV which condemned the filioque, which Rome formally agreed with for over a century.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 27, 2023
downers grove
✟2,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Constantinople IV which condemned the filioque, which Rome formally agreed with for over a century.
I apologize for a stupid question...but are you saying this council next year will be another Constantinople IV?

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It condemned those who added to the creed and issued a canon that Constantinople cannot be appealed to Rome and Rome's privliges cannot be changed by innovations (an implicit condemnation of Papalism).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It condemned those who added to the creed and issued a canon that Constantinople cannot be appealed to Rome and Rome's privliges cannot be changed by innovations (an implicit condemnation of Papalism).
and, lest we forget, Rome agreed to this council for over a century.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yep, and Dr David is for Constantinople IV and V being added as Ecumenical for us.
I don't like the palamite councils being declared Ecumenical. They lacked the assent of Rome, which at least is mentioned as one of the parties whose assent is necessary within the pentarchy. I am honestly surprised that within the popular Orthodox consciousness, even among the experts, what makes an Ecumenical council seems to be approached as if the criteria was nebulous.

For what it's worth, the Pan Orthodox synods are still authoritative :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't like the palamite councils being declared Ecumenical. They lacked the assent of Rome, which at least is mentioned as one of the parties whose assent is necessary within the pentarchy. I am honestly surprised that within the popular Orthodox consciousness, even among the experts, what makes an Ecumenical council seems to be approached as if the criteria was nebulous.

For what it's worth, the Pan Orthodox synods are still authoritative :)
you don’t need Rome if Rome had been heretical for 300 years

Upvote 0