15 yr-old football player dies protecting three girls during shooting in Knoxville, hailed as hero

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hope somehow I am misunderstanding a well intentioned post and that you aren't seriously trolling in a thread where a young man gave his life to save others...

I am more socially aware now, and will call out problematic behaviors as I see them.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What about his three word initial reply could possibly be construed as well intentioned?

That is why I used the word "hope"... Alas, trolls gonna troll

I am more socially aware now, and will call out problematic behaviors as I see them.

Men are hardwired to want to protect women and children, it is one of those pesky evolutionary traits that enabled our species to survive and exist in an environment where we were surrounded by larger and stronger predators.

Without that problematic behavior you and I would not be here...

I am all for equality and political correctness, sure. However, in matters of life and death, men will be men and do what they must to protect women and children.

This young man was and is an inspiration and it is truly tragic that he died.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The football player.
To MehGuy as well:

What exactly is sexist about what he did?
Do you advocate he should have just walked on and let them be shot to death instead of himself?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Men are hardwired to want to protect women and children, it is one of those pesky evolutionary traits that enabled our species to survive and exist in an environment where we were surrounded by larger and stronger predators.
Protecting women and children is a survival trait. (species survival, not individual survival)

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
To MehGuy as well:

What exactly is sexist about what he did?
Do you advocate he should have just walked on and let them be shot to death instead of himself?
In MehGuy's defense, it's an understandable bit of sarcasm.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sarcasm is entirely inappropriate when someone has died; and especially when it involves WHY they died.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Sarcasm is entirely inappropriate when someone has died; and especially when it involves WHY they died.
I'm going to have to disagree. Death tends to bring out a range of emotions.

I am reminded that my wife has requested a party at her funeral. I intend to honor that request.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Having occasionally been sarcastic myself, I would recommend using some device or specification to signal sarcasm.

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm going to have to disagree. Death tends to bring out a range of emotions.
I am reminded that my wife has requested a party at her funeral. I intend to honor that request.
Your wife may want a party and that is fine. But to have someone make sarcastic remarks about her life or the way she died would STILL be inappropriate if not downright hurtful.

Let Mehguy or Nighthawkeye go to that boy's dad and tell him that is son was being a sexist when he died. How much do you think that dad would appreciate the comment?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Your wife may want a party and that is fine. But to have someone make sarcastic remarks about her life or the way she died would STILL be inappropriate if not downright hurtful.
Some sarcastic remarks would be inappropriate, certainly.

This one was a societal comment though and not personally targeted sarcasm.
Let Mehguy or Nighthawkeye go to that boy's dad and tell him that is son was being a sexist when he died. How much do you think that dad would appreciate the comment?
Again, I don't see it as a personal comment so much as a societal statement.

That said, it wasn't my comment, and it certainly wouldn't be the first thing I'd bring up to a grieving parent. I attended a funeral for a friend who lost his wife just a few weeks ago. Our discussion at the time was light-hearted and mostly about other things. The best one can do at such times is simply be there for support.

Upvote 0