125 Million-Year old Dinosaur feathers remarkably similar to modern bird feathers

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The discovery offers new insight into the evolution of feathers over hundreds of millions of years.

No, it doesn't. It shows at most that some dinosaurs had feathers. That is all it says.

Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
No, it doesn't. It shows at most that some dinosaurs had feathers. That is all it says.

Feathers are fascinating and this discovery adds a significant lump to our knowledge of their evolution and the evolution of feathered animals in general. From the article:
  • This new thinking not only shows that proteins can remain preserved in the fossil record for upward of 125 million years but also provides new thinking into the evolution of ancient feathers by "pushing the time scales a lot further than what we thought," Slater said.
  • "The chemistry of modern-day feathers is actually a lot more ancient than we previously thought," Slater said. "Our research helps rewrite the narrative and shows that the very basic building blocks that are required for powered flight were present at least 125 million years ago."
We tend to associate feathers with flight but they actually have a variety of uses including insulation, waterproofing, threat and sexual display, gliding, skin protection, short distance travel through fluttering, camouflage, cushioning. This means that different types of feathers can evolve in response to a variety of evolutionary pressures.

Feathers are also made from alpha-keratin, the key structural material making up scales, hair, nails, feathers, horns, claws, hooves, fur, spines and the outer layer of skin among vertebrates (including you).
( Keratin - Wikipedia ).

Did you know that scientists have changed the scales on chicken's feet to feathers by tweaking a single gene?

Feathers are fabulous. :clap:

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
With birds having evolved from dinosaur's, this does not surprise me one bit.

"Feathers from modern-day birds have more in common with dinosaur feathers than experts previously thought and have a similar protein composition, a new X-ray analysis reveals. The discovery offers new insight into the evolution of feathers over hundreds of millions of years."

125 million-year-old dinosaur feathers were remarkably similar to modern bird feathers, analysis reveals
Thanks @dlamberth - another fascinating article.

OB

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Did you read the paper? It shows a lot more than "some dinosaurs had feathers".

Here's the link to the Nature study

It shows:
Feathers on non-avian dinosaurs and early birds from 125 million years ago and feathers other birds 60 million years ago have similar protein structures to feathers on modern birds.
That the protein structures for powered flight existed at least 125 million years ago, pushing back our assessment of when powered flight likely started
It also confirms the feasibility of biomolecular preservation over deep time (at least when it comes to feather proteins), providing potential pathways to further investigate molecular evolution

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Convergent evolution.
Unlikely.

Convergent evolution is "the repeated evolution of similar traits in multiple lineages which all ancestrally lack the trait".

The particular protein structures we're looking for appear in non-avian dinosaurs and early birds which are part of the ancestral group which predates modern birds. It appears that these early bird-types did not "lack the trait". This in turn suggests that the trait was carried down through successive bird-type generations, as opposed to being reinvented in various generations. In other words, it is unlikely to qualify as "convergent".

OB

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,335.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Convergent evolution.
Unlikely.

Convergent evolution is "the repeated evolution of similar traits in multiple lineages which all ancestrally lack the trait".

The particular protein structures we're looking for appear in non-avian dinosaurs and early birds which are part of the ancestral group which predates modern birds. It appears that these early bird-types did not "lack the trait". This in turn suggests that the trait was carried down through successive bird-type generations, as opposed to being reinvented in various generations. In other words, it is unlikely to qualify as "convergent".

OB
Actual examples of convergent evolution
still show distinct, deep differences.

Like ichthyosaurs and dolphins.

As anyone knowing more about biology than a
few words would understand.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actual examples of convergent evolution
still show distinct, deep differences.

Like ichthyosaurs and dolphins.

As anyone knowing more about biology than a
few words would understand.
Of course, of course... I understand that, I just wanted to make sure everyone else does. That's why I brought it up.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Scientists are actually rethinking their presuppositions of evolution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"Presupposition" is not a magic word and that article doesn't mean what you think it does.
This article is predicated on a Royal Society meeting in 2015 which sought to incorporate psychology, and a number of other fields not currently associated with biology into an evolutionary umbrella. It was met with bemusement 18 years ago and is still considered such.

Evolution is NOT a theory in crisis.

• Winner
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It clearly shows that feathers did not first evolve in birds but were first seen in other dinosaurs. But notice that these feathers are symmetrical, unlike the flight feathers of later dinosaurs such as Archaeopteryx and birds. And while these later feathers of extinct dinosaurs are very close to those of birds, birds have evolved some modifications of those feathers:
Early feathered dinosaurs, such as Archaeopteryx, exhibit asymmetrical feathers that had always been thought to be indistinguishable from those of living birds.

“This is a well-appreciated adaptation that provides aerodynamic stability,” said Feo. “It is clear that these animals were doing something in the air.”

Feo and fellow doctoral candidate Daniel Field decided to take a closer look at feathers representing the evolutionary transition from dinosaurs to modern birds. They found that while the shape of the wing feathers of Archaeopteryx and modern birds are generally similar, their trailing edges differed significantly in the angle where feather branches connected to the central shaft. These structural changes might be important in enabling a coherent wing surface during sustained flight, they said.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sounds interesting. Which of the four points of evolutionary theory do you think have been invalidated? Last time I looked (yesterday) they were still as solidly demonstrated as ever.

Perhaps you don't know what "presuppositions" means. What do you think it means and what "presuppositions" do you think Darwin relied on in his theory?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Feathers are fabulous. :clap:
All my life I've bought into the stereotype that Australian men are a rugged, manly breed. Now I'm picturing you prancing around wearing a feather boa. Crocodile Dundee would be ashamed. :(

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Evolution is NOT a theory in crisis.
From a YE creationist, Dr. Todd Wood:
Evolution is not a theory in crisis. It is not teetering on the verge of collapse. It has not failed as a scientific explanation. There is evidence for evolution, gobs and gobs of it. It is not just speculation or a faith choice or an assumption or a religion. It is a productive framework for lots of biological research, and it has amazing explanatory power. There is no conspiracy to hide the truth about the failure of evolution. There has really been no failure of evolution as a scientific theory. It works, and it works well.

I say these things not because I'm crazy or because I've "converted" to evolution. I say these things because they are true. I'm motivated this morning by reading yet another clueless, well-meaning person pompously declaring that evolution is a failure. People who say that are either unacquainted with the inner workings of science or unacquainted with the evidence for evolution. (Technically, they could also be deluded or lying, but that seems rather uncharitable to say. Oops.)

Creationist students, listen to me very carefully: There is evidence for evolution, and evolution is an extremely successful scientific theory. That doesn't make it ultimately true, and it doesn't mean that there could not possibly be viable alternatives. It is my own faith choice to reject evolution, because I believe the Bible reveals true information about the history of the earth that is fundamentally incompatible with evolution. I am motivated to understand God's creation from what I believe to be a biblical, creationist perspective. Evolution itself is not flawed or without evidence. Please don't be duped into thinking that somehow evolution itself is a failure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I know a chemical biologist (who believes in evolution) who believes that evolution needs a real face lift. His name is Dr. Sy Garte in case you want to ask him yourself.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,949.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I know a chemical biologist (who believes in evolution) who believes that evolution needs a real face lift. His name is Dr. Sy Garte in case you want to ask him yourself.

Good for him.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sounds interesting. Which of the four points of evolutionary theory do you think have been invalidated? Last time I looked (yesterday) they were still as solidly demonstrated as ever.

Perhaps you don't know what "presuppositions" means. What do you think it means and what "presuppositions" do you think Darwin relied on in his theory?

That evolution is unguided.

Upvote 0