Australia
✟148,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I assume you know what the Last Supper is but for those reading this who do not, I will provide a brief outline.

In the Old Testament you will find (in the book of Exodus) that the Lord told Moses to instruct Israel to celebrate the Feast of Unleavened Bread once a year every year on a certain date. This feast included a special meal called the Passover meal. This is the last meal Jesus ate before his crucifixion and is therefore referred to as the Last Supper. During the Last Supper, Jesus takes the bread, gives thanks to God and gives it to the disciples, telling them it his body that is broken for them and do this in remembrance of Him. He takes the cup and in the same manner gives it to the disciples saying it is His blood of the New Testament. Remembering Jesus broken body and shed blood by partaking of the bread or wafer and wine or grape juice is more commonly referred to as the Eucharist, Divine Liturgy or Communion.

How a person celebrates the Last Supper or Communion and how often this happens depends upon their denominational beliefs. Some Christians celebrate it at every meal because it was a meal at which the disciples were participating when Jesus introduced the idea. Some Christians celebrate it annually because the Passover meal at which Jesus introduced the idea was only participated in once a year. Most denominations have Communion several times a year in their church services by having it on a regular basis such as every week or once a month. The majority opinion among Christians would therefore have to be, that Communion should be participated in several times a year and is not required to be done in conjunction with a meal.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I grew up with the monthly schedule Paul described, where the story of the Last Supper was read each time, to remember Christ's death in sobriety. But as time went on, I saw more about the event that gave more depth of meaning.

Jesus was eating a full meal with His friends. It was one of the Passover meals with some ritual, but they were reclining while eating, leaning on each other.

Jesus was not stuffy about sharing the bread and wine with humans. He even shared it with someone He knew would betray Him.

Jesus was confiding in them because He was concerned about how they would take the news and the changes. Jesus cared about His disciples as individuals, and He cares about each one of us now.

There is interesting research on how the Passover rituals compare with Christ's death...too much to go into in one post. But you might enjoy doing a search on it.

When the early Christians gathered for the Lord's supper, it was a meal. Compare that with the thin wafer and sip of wine at formal churches. No matter what approach a fellowship takes, people will still get something out of it, and remember that Jesus went through a lot for us to have salvation, and redemption from our sins.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, 1 Cor 11 was talking about a substantial meal held by the whole church: the "agapae meal" is the term for it.

I think 1 Cor 11 talks about "the Lord's Supper", too. It is definitely the same as "the Last Supper" which Jesus held with His disciples, which was also a ceremonial, but substantial, meal: Passover.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's interesting because the Lord's Supper arose out of a communal meal, but was distinct from it. Mark 14.22 says that Jesus took the bread and blessed it "as" they were eating. But it is clear that with the blessing and the proclamation of its importance, something more than just the communal meal was happening.

Some house churches are following this very pattern. They have their regular "love feast", and at a certain time they move into the Lord's Supper itself.

It's a bit of a metaphor for the nature of Christian koinonia. We gather together and fellowship, but when we turn our attention communally toward the Lord, we begin to function as His Body.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The verses after the passage normally read during communion:

So then, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. If anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, so that you will not come together for judgment.

There's a mix of reverence and familiarity.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Koinonia
koinonia. We gather together and fellowship, but when we turn our attention communally toward the Lord, we begin to function as His Body.
(-:

Upvote 0