Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus used this image - "the gates of hell will not prevail against it” - to describe the destiny of the church in Matthew 16:18.

I never understood this because I wondered how a gate can prevail against anything but I came across something by Elton True blood where he noted that it's actually a metaphor of offense, not of defence. So it's Christians who are storming the gates, and they will prevail.

This Is from a Philip Yancey book. Yancey comments: "No matter how it looks at any given point in history, the gates guarding the powers of evil will not withstand an assault by grace."

He had in mind acts of grace like that shown by Martin Luther King who countered violence with nonviolence. King believed that the US would only rally around the cause of civil rights when they saw the ugliness and evil of police beatings and other brutalities carried out on peaceful demonstrators, and this obviously proved a very effective strategy.

What do others think of this interpretation of the phrase?

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus used this image - "the gates of hell will not prevail against it” - to describe the destiny of the church in Matthew 16:18.
I am thinking that rather than speaking of "the destiny of the church", the topic would be
the authority of the church on earth. First, I examined in context, and the next verse is
surely elaborating on this statement.

Matthew 16:
And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates
of Hades shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

With the keys of the kingdom, binding or loosing on earth is accomplished in heaven,
therefore, no power of Hades can oppose this authority. This is as the words of the prophet:

Isaiah 54:17 No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue rising against
you in judgment, you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord,
And their righteousness is from Me, says the Lord.

1 John 4:4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in
you is greater than he who is in the world.

• Informative
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I never understood this because I wondered how a gate can prevail against anything but I came across something by Elton True blood where he noted that it's actually a metaphor of offense, not of defence. So it's Christians who are storming the gates, and they will prevail.

This Is from a Philip Yancey book. Yancey comments: "No matter how it looks at any given point in history, the gates guarding the powers of evil will not withstand an assault by grace."

He had in mind acts of grace like that shown by Martin Luther King who countered violence with nonviolence. King believed that the US would only rally around the cause of civil rights when they saw the ugliness and evil of police beatings and other brutalities carried out on peaceful demonstrators, and this obviously proved a very effective strategy.

Yes, the church overwhelms the gates of hell.

Years ago Andre crouch wrote a song called *The blood will never lose its power".

That's true of the church, too. It will never lose its power to demolish the defenses of hell.

• Agree
Reactions: Hmm and Mr. M
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 16:18 [MGNT] 16:18 κἀγὼ δέ σοι λέγω ὅτι σὺ εἶ Πέτρος καὶ ἐπὶ ταύτῃ τῇ πέτρᾳ οἰκοδομήσωμου τὴν ἐκκλησίαν καὶ πύλαι ᾅδου οὐ κατισχύσουσιν αὐτῆς
(Note: Morphological Greek New Testament and Textus Receptus are identical for this verse.)

The other NT verses that use the EXACT SAME WORD:

Noun - Genitive Singular Masculine form of ᾅδης háidēs (Strongs G86)
  • [Mat 11:23 nasb20] 23 "And you, Capernaum, will not be exalted to heaven, will you? You will be brought down to Hades[G86]! For if the miracles that occurred in you had occurred in Sodom, it would have remained to this day.

• [Mat 16:18 nasb20] 18 "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades[G86] will not overpower it.

• [Luk 10:15 nasb20] 15 "And you, Capernaum, will not be exalted to heaven, will you? You will be brought down to Hades[G86]!

• [Luk 16:23 nasb20] 23 "And in Hades[G86] he raised his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his arms.

• [Act 2:27 nasb20] 27 FOR YOU WILL NOT ABANDON MY SOUL TO HADES[G86], NOR WILL YOU ALLOW YOUR HOLY ONE TO UNDERGO DECAY.

• [Act 2:31 nasb20] 31 he looked ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that He was neither abandoned to Hades[G86], nor did His flesh suffer decay.

• [Rev 1:18 nasb20] 18 and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades[G86].

• [Rev 6:8 nasb20] 8 I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and the one who sat on it had the name Death, and Hades[G86] was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, and famine, and plague, and by the wild animals of the earth.

• [Rev 20:13-14 nasb20] 13 And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades[G86] gave up the dead who were in them; and they were judged, each one [of them] according to their deeds. 14 Then Death and Hades[G86] were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My understanding is not so much the destiny of the Church but rather what the Church is and the power given to it. It is the Kingdom of God unveiled.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
This may help you with this scripture

The word “hades” from the Greek was used as a counterpart to the Hebrew word “sheol” and is more accurately defined as a state rather than a place.

“The Old Testament is the fountain-head of the Hebrew language. It has no literature behind it. But the case is entirely different with the Greek language. The Hebrew word “Sheol” is divine in its origin and usage. The Greek “Hades” is human in its nature and come down laden with centuries of development, in which it has acquired new senses, meaning and usages.”

Gravedom is a word coined by E W Bullinger, and is a great word for hell; it is the state, reign or time of being in the grave. I am not talking about the grave itself which employs the Greek word (qeber). I am speaking of the time when one takes his last breath, until the return of our savior Jesus Christ….

The Bibles’ definition is; “the state of being when one dies,” it’s a continuing state until the resurrection.”

The RSV quotes Matt 16:18
And I tell you, you are Peter (petros) and on this rock (petra) I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.

Petros – small stone

Petra – large rock

The word death is a better translation than hell. Jesus Christ was the rock, upon Him was the church built and He conquered death (the grave) when He was raised.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

A gate of a Roman era walled city defined the defensible limits of the city, thus the city of hell could not overcome the good news sent by God and Jesus Christ.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private

The gates of hell is the wide way

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Many are invited/called, few are chosen

Matthew 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

The elect/chosen are tested

Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Revelation 3:10-11 Because thou hast kept the word of My patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Matthew 16:18 is faithful

Revelation 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for He is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with Him [are] called, and chosen, and faithful.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The gates of hell is the wide way

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Many are invited/called, few are chosen

Matthew 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

The elect/chosen are tested

Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Revelation 3:10-11 Because thou hast kept the word of My patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Matthew 16:18 is faithful

Revelation 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for He is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with Him [are] called, and chosen, and faithful.

What struck me though was that the phrase isn't saying that hell will not overcome the church as is often thought, so it can just sit back feeling contented and safe, but rather that the church will prevail against hell but obviously this requires the church to be active.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Speaking of the Gates of Hell reminds me of the early Orthodox Church depiction of Christ trampling down those gates during the Resurrection:

resurrection2007.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Speaking of the Gates of Hell reminds me of the early Orthodox Church depiction of Christ trampling down those gates during the Resurrection:

resurrection2007.jpg

Great picture. That's exactly what the quote in the OP was saying it means.

It makes you wonder if kicking the gate down like that is going to allow anyone in there to escape but probably best not go there!

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Great picture. That's exactly what the quote in the OP was saying it means.

It makes you wonder if kicking the gate down like that is going to allow anyone in there to escape but probably best not go there!

In the depiction they don't have to escape because they're being rescued.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In the depiction they don't have to escape because they're being rescued.

Yes, I used the wrong word and image there. Why would Jesus kick the gates of hell in if not to rescue the people there?

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
What struck me though was that the phrase isn't saying that hell will not overcome the church as is often thought, so it can just sit back feeling contented and safe, but rather that the church will prevail against hell but obviously this requires the church to be active.

The Active Church
Matthew 24:14 And this Gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Matthew 20:1 For the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a man [that is] an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.
20:10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny. 11 And when they had received [it], they murmured against the goodman of the house, 12 Saying, These last have wrought [but] one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.
20:15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

Revelation 3:8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept My word, and hast not denied My name(authority).

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Upvote 0