Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A little while, and you will see me no longer, and again a little while and you will see me.—St. John 16:16

John 16 is one of the most intimate chapters of the New Testament. Jesus has just washed the feet of the Apostles (chapter 13) and then we have several chapters of Him explaining at the Last Supper the Father’s love for the Son and the Son’s love for His own Apostles. This is just before the arrest of Jesus Christ. As most of you know, St. John spends nearly half of his Gospel on the Triduum prayer and the Passion and Resurrection, and a large part of this is the Great Commandment and the Great Prayer found from John 13-18.

Because John 16 is the chapter where Christ encourages the Apostles in regards to His own departure to face the cross alone, and because we do not have a long pre-Ascension talk from Our Lord, the Church has amazingly chosen to place John 16 as the chapter of the Sundays leading up to the Ascension. Perhaps this is because Christ was also encouraging His Apostles before the Ascension what it would be like without Him in similar words.

John 16 is also a chapter about how the life of a Christian in this valley of tears on earth will be the exact opposite of one who walks through this life without Christ. We Americans are used to so many evangelical T-shirts and Catholic stadium conferences telling us how saccharine-sweet joyful we should be to prove we’re actually Christian. But Christ strangely predicts the exact opposite about how his followers would look for most their stay on this wounded earth:

Continued below.

Reactions: mourningdove~