‘Our children, our rights’: Scores of parents hit rally opposing MoCo schools’ LGBTQ policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,107,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Parents with teens and tykes in tow chanted “education over indoctrination,” “we shall never surrender our children,” and most passionately, “leave our kids alone,” as they gathered to oppose Montgomery County Public Schools’ removal of its opt-out option for elementary reading materials that cover gay and transgender topics.

The rally is in opposition to MCPS revoking parents’ ability to withhold their elementary-aged children from lesson plans that include LGBTQ-themed books recently added to the curriculum.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,217,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like these parents oppose freedom of speech.
I think it's more that they oppose having mandatory participation for certain lesson plans and curriculum content.

"they gathered to oppose Montgomery County Public Schools’ removal of its opt-out option for elementary reading materials that cover gay and transgender topics."

The ability to "opt out" was always the "last line of defense" for parents, so to speak. And while some left-leaning members of academia have been persistently saying "this is just education, not indoctrination", the moves they're making seem to cut against that.

I remember back in the day when I was in high school and some parents didn't want their kids learning about sex ed or evolution, they'd opt them out and have an alternate lesson plan ready or just give them an extra study hall. I'd argue that those topics were far less polarizing and controversial than these ones.

When these conversations started a few years back, the left had more people on their side than not, which each little bit further they move the needle, the more and more people they lose to the "other side" of this particular set of issues.

When it started, they had the overwhelming majority of Democrats, over half of Independents, and even a small percentage of Republicans.

For instance when this was strictly just talking about High School, 2019 polling showed:
About 85 percent of Democrats (as well as 60 percent of Independents) said that high school students should learn about sexual orientation and gender identity. That compares with 37 percent of Republicans who want students to learn about sexual orientation and 32 percent who want them taught about gender identity. (averaging out to about 6-7 in 10 of all Americans in favor)

When they kept moving the line and pushing for younger and younger target audiences, now 2023 polling finds this:
Fewer 50 percent of Democrats supporting the teaching of both transgender rights and same-sex rights in elementary schools, while fewer than 1 in 10 Republicans support teaching those topics in elementary schools. (averaging out to only about 3 in 10 Americans in favor)

They went from positions that were largely popular, to pushing for ones that are quite unpopular.

When they can't even get over 50% of their own party to support something, and then combine that with subsequent rules like "You're not allowed to have any input on this, and when we actually do teach it, you're not allowed to show up at school board meeting to complain about it, else be labelled as a domestic extremist" The backlash was quite predictable, and in the midst of that backlash, schools like this one in the article decided it was a good idea to remove parents' ability to opt their kids out of elementary school content that polling shows is largely unpopular.

Unpopular ideas + "You just have to sit down, keep your mouth shut, and let it happen" = Cultural powder keg

The lesson that can be inferred from the poll results above? High school is where this kind of content should probably be covered and not 4th grade, and if a school is going to try to include it at much younger ages, they should probably not take away the opt out ability of parents.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was amazed at how many countries of the world protect their schools with armed personnel when I googled it, and sometimes even their Military. Children are the future of any nation and must be protected from worldly weirdos of all types.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you then support a school who would force your children to learn about how homosexuality is wrong, boys cannot become girls, and that marriage is between one biological male and one biological female and your are denied the ability to opt out of the studies?

Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
Parents with teens and tykes in tow chanted “education over indoctrination,” “we shall never surrender our children,” and most passionately, “leave our kids alone,” as they gathered to oppose Montgomery County Public Schools’ removal of its opt-out option for elementary reading materials that cover gay and transgender topics.

The rally is in opposition to MCPS revoking parents’ ability to withhold their elementary-aged children from lesson plans that include LGBTQ-themed books recently added to the curriculum.

So sad, they want our kids.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟150,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Would you then support a school who would force your children to learn about how homosexuality is wrong, boys cannot become girls, and that marriage is between one biological male and one biological female and your are denied the ability to opt out of the studies?
I dunno about what @NxNW would support, but a private school that taught these things is a-okay in my book.

Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
No, sir. They oppose teachers trying to turn their children. Also, teachers discussing something that the parents should discuss with kids. This world is so ready to shove all type of indecencies down our throat. No one is safe. How young is too young. Will that start at kindergarten? No one can be in on WNF in this sick perverted world. Even those that are innocent.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
No school, should be discussing anything sex related with children in elementary school. Never. Let the parents raise their child. Sex Ed maybe appropriate in middle school. But alllow the parent to discuss these topics with kids that are 7 years old or 8. This world is ready to take away the line that says minor, indecent, underage just to start converting our kids on all of their doctrines. Specifically, sex related ones. It breeds a world where pedophilia is acceptable.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟334,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's what they teach in church. Not schools. People send their kids to school for education. LGBTQ is education.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟716,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's what they teach in church. Not schools. People send their kids to school for education. LGBTQ is education.
No - LGBTQ is not education, not anymore than Christianity is. They are belief systems - not education.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟920,189.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
No - LGBTQ is not education, not anymore than Christianity is. They are belief systems - not education.
Is this like the "evolution is a religion" complaint? An attempt to create parity on two items that are not equal?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟716,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it is.
OK - share the curriculum for the course study
Is this like the "evolution is a religion" complaint? An attempt to create parity on two items that are not equal?
I can show you course books, curriculum and course descriptions for evolution.

Care to do the same with LGBTQ?

Remember, less than a decade ago, in some cases as recent as three years - LGBTQ was considered a mental illness. now it is cause celeb.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟920,189.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
OK - share the curriculum for the course study

I can show you course books, curriculum and course descriptions for evolution.

Care to do the same with LGBTQ?
Why? Would that somehow show it to be a "belief system" as claimed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dunno about what @NxNW would support, but a private school that taught these things is a-okay in my book.
Would you be okay with a public school doing it?

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you are against freedom of speech then?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟920,189.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
No - but it would indeed show it as education - like evolution

Can you show any?
I disagree. It would only show someone created those items. Can we get back to my original question now?

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why? Would that somehow show it to be a "belief system" as claimed?
If you cannot define what a woman is, you are following a "belief system," Not education.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.