Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
COMMENTARY: The Academy Award-nominated film serves as a cautionary tale for students of science today.

The scene of the Trinity nuclear bomb test, from Christopher’s Nolan’s film Oppenheimer, has already become a memorable moment in film history. After the laboratory personnel wait in harrowing suspense during a final countdown, the darkness of the New Mexico desert is suddenly illuminated by the fearsome explosion of the plutonium bomb.

As J. Robert Oppenheimer gazes in awe at the terrible power which has been unleashed, he quotes the Hindu sacred text: “Now I am become death, destroyer of worlds...” Shortly before, when asked to give a name to the atomic test, the director of Los Alamos Laboratory responds by making use of the poet John Donne’s invocation of the Christian God: “Batter my heart, three-person’d god.”

Such religious language was a significant way by which the famed physicist sought to understand the terrifying power which the new technology had introduced to the world. Oppenheimer recognizes that science is not enough to grasp the new reality which he had helped bring about. And so, among the many other noteworthy aspects of the film, Oppenheimer allows us to reflect anew on the relationship between science, religion, and ethics. Indeed, apart from the skilled direction, acting, and cinematography, the movie stands out for grappling with some of the most profound moral dilemmas of our time. Even if viewers decide to skip the scenes with mature content — a possibility made easier with the current technologies — the film gives us much to ponder.

Continued below.

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know -

I never really thought Oppenheimer was all that religious. He was, however, a Renaissance man. He was horse man, an outdoorsman, he wrote a lot and was extraordinary well read.

I always just figured Vishnu, in his many armed from suddenly appearing to his human companions (this is the story he's quoting from) claiming to be the destroyer of worlds sort of fit what we, as humans, had just become.

Either way. One of the great quotes of the 20th Century.

Upvote 0

Qubit

Mar 6, 2024
USA
✟13,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Atom (a Trinity) is being described here...

Romans 1:20
"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse."

The Logos manifests as things we can see. Oppenheimer saw what many, even to this day, cannot.

Upvote 0