‘Mission: Impossible’: What’s Up With Tom Cruise and All the Catholic Stuff?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In preparation for seeing Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One, I fired up Paramount+ and watched all the previous MI films. And I noticed something interesting.

There’s a crazy number of Christian references, most of them overtly Catholic.

Tom Cruise, Baptized Catholic​

Now, I have read that Cruise wasbaptized Catholic, and for two years, he attended high school at St. Francis Seminary in Cincinnati, Ohio, where reportedly he had the beginnings of a vocation.

From The New York Daily News:

Cruise’s closest buddy from the seminary, Shane Dempler, said he was very sincere about becoming a priest.
“He had a very strong Catholic faith,” Dempler said. “We went to Mass, spent time in the chapel and enjoyed hearing stories from the priests. We thought the priests had a great lifestyle and we were really interested in priesthood.
“In truth,” Dempler added, “we were too young to make that decision.”

But, Cruise disputes the notion that he wanted to be a priest.

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In preparation for seeing Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One, I fired up Paramount+ and watched all the previous MI films. And I noticed something interesting.

There’s a crazy number of Christian references, most of them overtly Catholic.

Tom Cruise, Baptized Catholic​

Now, I have read that Cruise wasbaptized Catholic, and for two years, he attended high school at St. Francis Seminary in Cincinnati, Ohio, where reportedly he had the beginnings of a vocation.

From The New York Daily News:

But, Cruise disputes the notion that he wanted to be a priest.

Continued below.
Some people are haunted by Christ and His bride long after they have given up the faith. Some of them even come back to the faith.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never liked his acting. He's Tom Cruise in every film he's been in.
The only films I can think of where he was different was Vampire Diaries. Maybe Born on the 4th of July.

Upvote 0