“The church is not a museum for saints but a hospital for sinners.”

Do you agree with the thread title/quote ?

• I agree with the quote.

• I disagree with the quote.

• Other (please explain if you wish).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Souldier

Mar 30, 2015
✟2,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe that Christ heals our spiritual infirmities but not always our physical infirmities. I believe we can learn to manage things like depression by following the examples of Paul and David who had their share of emotional battles. I also believe that in time as we grow that we can find purpose by abiding in the Lord and that helps too. I don't think faith is about getting healed of everything but i think its about finding peace, love and joy. This doesn't mean we will be without sorrow and hardship at times though. THe Lord changed my life. He took me out of a prison of drug addiction, anxiety, depression, and sorrow. It took a long time to learn how to abide in Him, it was not something that came over night. Without the Lord i would be lost.

Upvote 0

Souldier

Mar 30, 2015
✟2,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that healing is misunderstood. I think that the healing we are promised is referring to sin. Christ said that those who are well dont need a physician but only those who are sick. He was talking about sin, not actually physical illness. I think that this world is full of pollution and poison that makes people sick and God never promised that we would live forever, but he promises that we will have a great reward in heaven where there will be no more sorrow, sickness or death.

Mathew 9:10 Now it happened, as Jesus sat at the table in the house, that behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Him and His disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

12 When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”[c]

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"The church is not a museum for saints but a hospital for sinners." ― Morton T. Kelsey

Do you agree with this quote or disagree with it ? Why or why not ?

The poll is "private" so no one can see which choice a poster voted for.
I agree. I teach it sometimes. Ideally, though we're also on our way to wellness, to sainthood.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"The church is not a museum for saints but a hospital for sinners." ― Morton T. Kelsey

Do you agree with this quote or disagree with it ? Why or why not ?

The poll is "private" so no one can see which choice a poster voted for.
I agree. Those who don't go never get well

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is half right. The Church is definitely not a museum for saints. It is the home of saint/sinners that wish to be part of the Body of the Bride of Christ( i.e. the Church) . The buildings and the denominations which are often referred to as the church are simply gathering places for a small number of those that make up the Church and are not themselves( the buildings and denominations ) the Church.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have heard this statement before. I do think it is right in part, but not all. It also assumes that these are our only two options which isn't correct. It is for those who are in spiritual need, but it is more than that. Some churches, like one that I was a member of in Texas, seem to rely on the past and reputation in community rather than what they are doing right now to help and we should not sit back and rest and act as though all the needs are taken care of because they are not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums