1. New: Christian Forums Staff Recruit Video.- It's that time of year again. We are having our annual Staff Recruit Drive. Simply ask any staffer to help you apply and enjoy the video...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Please help us test our new CF PrayPal app available right now in the Google Play store for Android devices. The iPhone app should be available within the next few days. If you would be so kind to also add a review for it that would be great! Thanks!

Just Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Lapsed” Catholics…

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Michie

Michie Manipulation Resistance Team Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    In 2007, a Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life study reported that one-third of Americans were raised Catholic but slightly less than one-third of those (~11% of all Catholics) stopped practicing their faith in the sense of “stopped attending Mass.”
    [​IMG]

That raises the question, “Why are those people not attending Mass?”

A USA Today article discussed a recent study of 298 people—67% of whom were women—who stopped attending Mass in the Diocese of Trenton (NJ). The study indicates they did so for three reasons:
    • personal reasons: “the pastor who crowned himself king and looks down on all,” “the Church’s handling of the clergy sex abuse scandal,” “divorced and remarried Catholics are unwelcome at Mass”;
    • political reasons: “eliminate the extreme conservative haranguing”; and,
    • doctrinal reasons: “don’t spend so much time on issues like homosexuality and birth control.”
    Continued- http://the-american-catholic.com/2012/04/09/lapsed-catholics/

2. Elvisman

Elvisman New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Their loss . . .

Luke 10:16
    Whoever listens to you (the Church) listens to me. Whoever rejects you (the Church) rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.”

3. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    That always has me wondering what parish they went to? My parish doesn't talk about homosexuality and birth control--bible study and maybe helping one's neighbor is frequently spoken about and at least once a year they'll be a talk on the Annual Appeal and the Greyer Lay Missionaries, plus the Easter and Christmas basket programs.

Same with the "the Catholic Church is too unfriendly". My actual non-Catholic son-in-law says that the Catholic Church is too friendly (and that's why he doesn't want to go.)

It all has to be in the "eye of the beholder" IMO. Lapsed Catholics all have different reasons for being lapsed and all we can do is pray for them.

4. Mikey123

Mikey123 NXT

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I am thankful that my Pastor frequently talks about the tough subjects. he even let me (Stewardship Director for the parish) talk after mass and tell everyone the "5% of the gross is what's expected - not a nice gesture." Along with some other sort of in-your-face statements about money.