“It is good for me that I have been afflicted” (Psalm. 119:71)

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A strange testimony by a Psalmist, affliction is often accompanied by complaining or discouragement, but seldom by a statement of satisfaction and thankfulness, such as in our vocabulary for today, especially for some.

Affliction is one of God’s medicines. By it He often teaches lessons which would be learned in no other way. By it He often draws souls away from sin and the world, which would otherwise have perished everlastingly. Health is a great blessing, but sanctified disease is a greater. Prosperity and worldly comfort, are what all naturally desire; but losses and crosses are far better for us, if they lead us to Christ. Thousands at the last day, will testify with David, and the nobleman before us, “It is good for me that I have been afflicted.” (Psalm. 119:71.)

Joni Eareckson Tada, no stranger to great suffering, writes, "Whether a godly attitude shines from a brain-injured college student or from a lonely man relegated to a back bedroom, the response of patience and perseverance counts. God points to the peaceful attitude of suffering people to teach others about Himself. He not only teaches those we rub shoulders with every day, but He instructs the countless millions of angels and demons. The hosts in heaven stand amazed when they observe God sustain hurting people with His peace."

Romans 12:12 “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I think some Christians are like little children who sulk and think daddy does not love them because he spanked them, took away their toys, and grounded them; that daddy only loves them when he indulges them and lets them do as they please.

~Jim

“Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia” is the fear of long words.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think some Christians are like little children who sulk and think daddy does not love them because he spanked them, took away their toys, and grounded them; that daddy only loves them when he indulges them and lets them do as they please.

~Jim

YES! That's it exactly JimB! Perfect!

I’m not sure what you are agreeing with. Do you believe God is loving and good even when His chastenings are painful …

… or …

… is God only good when He indulges us and gives us what we want?

~Jim

Upvote 0

disciple-ofjesus

Dec 23, 2009
New York
✟2,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God is good ALL the time PERIOD.

Again, with your broad brush, you painted many people with it that simply isn't true. I do NOT believe for one second that God is only good when He indulges. I for one have never had Him "indulge" me. SO, your broad brush would be best to be put away.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God is good ALL the time PERIOD.

But God doesn’t work with our definition of what is “good.” Only God knows what is truly good for us.

~Jim

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟567,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But God doesn’t work with our definition of what is “good.” Only God knows what is truly good for us.

~Jim

I think the definition of "good" is the same for God and for us.
What is "good for us" is a different matter.
Yes, sometimes dads have to take steps to deal with us WHEN WE FAIL TO DEAL WITH OURSELVES. But these are extreme measures. The Corinthian fornicator is a case in point. The man was about to be turned over to satan for the destruction of his flesh because he was fornicating. That is a harsh step that was needed because of the circumstances. It was life or death.
I do not see in scripture where we get turned over to satan for the destruction of our flesh because we steal a paper clip or laugh at dirty jokes. Those are not good things.. but there is perspective here. Nobody is getting cancer in order to develop their sense of humor. That is way out of order. No early father would do that.

The scripture says that in the OT there was a "just recompense of reward" for every law and that it was wrong when the punishment exceeded the crime.
In fact God hates an unjust measure.
If good has no relative meaning... then God could not hate anyone.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the definition of "good" is the same for God and for us.
What is "good for us" is a different matter.
Yes, sometimes dads have to take steps to deal with us WHEN WE FAIL TO DEAL WITH OURSELVES. But these are extreme measures. The Corinthian fornicator is a case in point. The man was about to be turned over to satan for the destruction of his flesh because he was fornicating. That is a harsh step that was needed because of the circumstances. It was life or death.
I do not see in scripture where we get turned over to satan for the destruction of our flesh because we steal a paper clip or laugh at dirty jokes. Those are not good things.. but there is perspective here. Nobody is getting cancer in order to develop their sense of humor. That is way out of order. No early father would do that.

The scripture says that in the OT there was a "just recompense of reward" for every law and that it was wrong when the punishment exceeded the crime.
In fact God hates an unjust measure.
If good has no relative meaning... then God could not hate anyone.
Thanks for the civil tone, Dids. :thumbsup:

I am not sure that our definition of “good” and God’s definition of “good” are the same. Heck, we don’t even agree among ourselves on what is good. To me a quality cigar is good but to my wife (who does not believe there is such a thing as a quality cigar), they are awful. “Good,” for us, is a purely subjective term.

Also, comparing God, who is infinitely wise and just with any earthly father falls far short of being anything close to an accurate equivalence. Of course no earthly father would inflict a lethal disease on a child … but then no earthly father could not cure him if he did. But God can. So that comparison lacks teeth.

~Jim

Upvote 0

Simon Peter

14th Generation PROTESTant
Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He not only teaches those we rub shoulders with every day, but He instructs the countless millions of angels and demons. The hosts in heaven stand amazed when they observe God sustain hurting people with His peace."

For me, the greater testimony to the angels and demons is when a mere man - who has never seen God - is afflicted and hurting but continues to trust in God, to Praise His name.

:bow:

peace,
Simon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple-ofjesus

Dec 23, 2009
New York
✟2,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ha, which ones?

alot of them..lol sigh

I see dead people...I mean I get nightmares from this place and what people post
I don't let it get to me that bad. I am shocked at what some actually believe...but that is ok. Whatever.

Upvote 0

Pat Colby

Apr 12, 2010
✟425.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For me, the greater testimony to the angels and demons is when a mere man - who has never seen God - is afflicted and hurting but continues to trust in God, to Praise His name.

:bow:

peace,
Simon
That is a greater testimony. :amen:

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟567,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is a greater testimony. :amen:
Yes, all praise and glory to these believers for their ability to endure the sickness and torture God has placed on them.
They sure showed Him.
Mean old God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
God is Good and at the same time, God is Holy and Sovereign. There are people who believe that God is a God of love and grace, yet not of justice. In the Old Testament (Psalm 48:14) says "For this God is our God for ever and ever; He will be our guide even to the end."

God is good and God is also Just. The Bible teaches that God is love; some have interpreted this in such a way as virtually to deny that He is just, which the Bible also teaches. The biblical doctrine of God's goodness so far that it is made to contradict His holiness. The biblical doctrine of God's compassion cancel out His truth. People will view God is ALL good, which is true but the definition of "good" in God's point of view is different than our human point of view. 1 Corinthians 9:8 Do I say this merely from a human point of view? If God is ALL good, then Solomon would not write the negative side of God in Ecclesiastes. God's will is ALWAYS right when "There's a right time and way for everything."

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God is Good and at the same time, God is Holy and Sovereign. There are people who believe that God is a God of love and grace, yet not of justice. In the Old Testament (Psalm 48:14) says "For this God is our God for ever and ever; He will be our guide even to the end."

God is good and God is also Just. The Bible teaches that God is love; some have interpreted this in such a way as virtually to deny that He is just, which the Bible also teaches.

Yes. These are the same people that will say that Christians can have all the blessings of obedience without the curses of disobedience (ref. Deut 28) because they would have us believe that Gal. 3.13 the Christ redeemed us from the curse/s (plural) of the law. We get the blessings without the curses. IOW, God’s kids get to pick-and-choose, we get the ice cream without the vegetables. Life is just one big dessert table.

But Gen. 3.13 says that Christ redeemed us from the “Curse” (sing.) not the curse/s (pl.) of the law. The “Curse” of the law is its judgment on sin of which we are all guilty. Hell is the Curse of the law that Christ redeemed us from so that the blessing of Abraham (Christ, the Messiah, and His salvation) might come upon all who believe “through faith” (v.14).

~Jim

Upvote 0