SC Senate Passes Bill Banning Affirmative Care For Minors

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟341,266.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Could we trust medical ethics and professionalism to guide practice?

As a mental health therapist, from time-to-time I have been asked if someone could see me for evaluation and recommendation to proceed with transition surgery. My answer is always, "No, I don't do that." I don't need government to tell me what my answer should be.
As a therapist you should be well aware of what's going on in the gender treatment field. I would recommend Genspect and Therapy First as a good starting point. Actual therapists who work in the field and are up to date on the research and outcomes.

Whatever you do don't follow WPATH.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because, as everyone knows, the most qualified person to determine whether a medical treatment is harmful or not is a politician.

-- A2SG, that's why everyone trusts politicians to make all their medical decisions for them.....
Yep and they'll gladly do it because it's another dime.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟341,266.00
Faith
Pentecostal
And here is a bit of irony. Many of the same folks who are okay with government action banning affirmative care lose their minds over government action banning conversion therapy. Either we want government making health care decisions for us or we don't.

Good luck, by the way, finding that doctor willing to cut off your arm because you don't like it. I'm betting you could spend that whole afternoon on the phone trying to make that appointment without much success.
But somehow cutting off someone's penis is OK. Bizzarre.

• Winner
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟341,266.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Since a child can't undergo surgery without the permission of a parent or guardian, or a court order, it looks like you would have to examine each law in that light.
It's already been proven that the pool parents aren't even well informed. Just cause a parent is involved doesn't mean they understand either. Because they are B being informed by a professional who isn't giving them all the information n action. The WPATH files proved that.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟970,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As a therapist you should be well aware of what's going on in the gender treatment field. I would recommend Genspect and Therapy First as a good starting point. Actual therapists who work in the field and are up to date on the research and outcomes.
As I said I don't do this work by choice. There are reasons for that, some practical and some personal. The research and outcomes speak for themselves. Of course I am under no illusion that my refusal will stop them. They will find someone who does this work. I have no interest in it and it's never going to be me.

• Friendly
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟250,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Not always. I have a friend who has lost many fetuses in trying to have a child. I think it is cruel to her to call a fetus a child.
How is that cruel? I’m sorry for her loss and I’m sure she suffered a lot.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟440,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
South Carolina has joined 24 other states in banning affirmative therapy and/or puberty blockers.for.minors. This bill.also prevents schools from hiding a kids desire to be trans in the school. This is all great news.

We are slowly winning this battle to protect kids from harm.

From rhe article.

The bill bars health professionals from performing gender-transition surgeries, prescribing puberty blockers and overseeing hormone treatments for patients under 18.

School principals or vice principals would have to notify parents or guardians if a child wanted to use a name other than their legal one, or a nickname or pronouns that did not match their sex assigned at birth.

It's pretty obvious the author is a leftist with a left wing bias but that's to be expected these days from journalists. Sex isn't assigned. Sex is. No doctor assigns sex, it's a biological reality. I also wonder how much the author left out regarding how this bill came to be. What research was used. What information was used in order to pass this bill. Did anyone testify in support or opposition to the bill and what did they say?

This is great news indeed.

Thank goodness someone cares about proper medical care for children.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟440,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's why we should trust people who never went to medical school to evaluate the best course of medical treatment for our children.

They banned the treatment because of the recommendations of people who went to medical school.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟440,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because it has been or now is doesn't make it more palatable to me. We have government and insurance companies dictating what medical treatment consumers can get. I would prefer that to be a personal decision of a consumer and of the medical provider. I don't much care for Big Brother making those decisions.

We're talking about elective care with lifelong repercussions.... for a non-fatal mental issue.

This isn't denying children life saving cancer therapy... it's denying them a tattoo.

Last edited:
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟341,266.00
Faith
Pentecostal
As I said I don't do this work by choice. There are reasons for that, some practical and some personal. The research and outcomes speak for themselves. Of course I am under no illusion that my refusal will stop them. They will find someone who does this work. I have no interest in it and it's never going to be me.
Perhaps if you joined these groups and learned about it you COULD make a difference. Yes the research does speak for itself. It"s garbage and unreliable. There is no evidence that outcomes of transitioning for the kids helps.at all. In fact it's harmful. Do.you agree.with that?

Find someone who does this? Yes im.sure there are, and that's why we need the laws, to prevent it and protect them.

As a therapist you seem rather uninformed on this topic.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟341,266.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Ah yes. "Parental rights" unless they are making choices we disagree with.
Parental rights have ALWAYS ended when harm.is being done to their child. And in this case we have discovered by the practitioners that even the parents don't understand. You really need to brush up.

Parents have been duped as much as you have been. Maybe even worse. Because they trust the professionals. They just want their child to be better, but have no clue what they are getting into. That's why someone from the outside needs to step in and say we are not going to harm the kids. Because the so called professionals aren't doing it. Well at least some aren't. There is a growing number now who.are starting to.speak out and their voices are being heard.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟970,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As a therapist you seem rather uninformed on this topic.
Actually, I am quite well informed - informed enough that I have made a decision to never participate in it, and have refused every request I have had to do so. I don't know how much informed I can be than that. I have already staked out my position here opposing gender affirming care for adolescents. My comments have strictly addressed government deciding health care, which I am opposed to as a general principle. I think such decisions are better made by professional organization ethics boards, professional licensing boards, and professional practitioners.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟101,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why not call them a human being?
What's wrong with the correct term for the stage of development they're at? It might avoid causing confusion.

-- A2SG, unless that's the point....

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟440,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What's wrong with the correct term for the stage of development they're at? It might avoid causing confusion.

-- A2SG, unless that's the point....

Since when were you concerned about "correct terms".

I say if you cannot tell woman from man....you're in no position to be complaining about "correct terms".

Upvote 0