Opinion: Catholics Should Not Be Organ Donors When ‘Brain Death’ Is the Standard...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,741,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
COMMENTARY: The April 11 statement by The National Catholic Bioethics Center affirms that ‘a partial brain death standard can never be acceptable to Catholics.’

Tremendous controversy surrounds the discussions surrounding brain death, which is the notion that when the brain is dead, the person is dead.

In 1997 one of the world’s foremost brain death scholars published “Recovery from ‘Brain Death’: A Neurologist’s Apologia (republished with updated endnotes in April 2024). In it, pediatric neurologist D. Alan Shewmon, a convert to Catholicism, documents his professional conversion from believing that brain-dead patients are dead to the firm conviction that nearly all of them are alive. (He allows for the possibility that some patients who have died from widespread bodily injury incidentally meet the criteria for brain death.) “There is no question that [this] truth will eventually prevail,” Shewmon wrote. “The only questions are: after how long a time and at what human cost?”

Despite this clarion call 27 years ago to stop harvesting organs from brain-dead patients, organ donation and transplantation practices have remained essentially unchanged.

While some Catholics hold that the person is dead when there is complete and irreversible cessation of all brain activity (“whole brain death”), a growing number of Catholics agree with Shewmon that whole brain death cannot be used to diagnose the death of the person. Crucially, though, on a pragmatic level, this difference of opinion is irrelevant because the medical criteria to diagnose brain death establishes only partial loss of brain function (“partial brain death”). All Catholics agree that patients with partial brain death are alive, and the Catholic Church forbids removing vital organs when this act would kill the patient.

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟450,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This is a subject that truly upsets me.

My nephew aged 6 was given two prognosis after a car wreck, one said let him heal he's bruised [spinal cord] the other said severed, he will never live normal, get the parents to be organ donors.

I just can't even talk about it.
Falsely told them he was deaf and blind but I saw his eyes being tested by the one year med dr and they dilated and also he specifically heard me ask him a question.

I forgive them. But I do not like the policy.
Okay...
So I took being a donor off my license.
IF your organs are valuable, that's all you are now.

I still believe in being a donor, but I must be completely brain dead [like my dad was] a flat line EEG.

Upvote 0