Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

• The measure passed the Senate unanimously in March. On Thursday, it passed the House, 192-174. The bill now goes to Gov. Chris Sununu for signing into law.
  • “… If we continually restrict the freedom of marriage as a legitimate social option, when we do this to people who are a ripe, fertile age and may have a pregnancy and a baby involved, are we not, in fact, making abortion a much more desirable alternative, when marriage might be the right solution for some freedom-loving couples?” he said.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟314,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

• The measure passed the Senate unanimously in March. On Thursday, it passed the House, 192-174. The bill now goes to Gov. Chris Sununu for signing into law.
  • One of those voting against was Representative Jess Edwards, whose comments sparked immediate gasps from colleagues.
  • “… If we continually restrict the freedom of marriage as a legitimate social option, when we do this to people who are a ripe, fertile age and may have a pregnancy and a baby involved, are we not, in fact, making abortion a much more desirable alternative, when marriage might be the right solution for some freedom-loving couples?” he said.
I think child marriage leads to an increase in abortions, not less, given the age disparity of those unions. It is not the teens getting married to each other, but teen girls being married to someone older or their rapist and abuser by their parents once they find out they are with someone and/or pregnant.

And if you don't think that happens:

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Marriage isn't the answer for kids because the probability of it lasting would be slim. It is the job of parents to go to the health office and bring back a box of pills and rubbers and talk to their kids about pregnancy. I talked to my daughters at ages 10 and 12 about sex and till they left for college.
Now that I'm a grandparent I encourage my kids to crank out more. lol

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,215,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While it sounds like the phrasing is pretty poor (not sure why he would choose to use words like "ripe and fertile"....that's more than a bit creepy)

It sounds like this bill was aimed at raising the age for voluntary marriage from 16 to 18.

Right now, it sounds like the majority of states are allowing it at 16

While I personally don't think anyone should even be considering marriage until 21 (brains aren't even fully developed until mid-20s), seems like one needs to consider the context in which they were discussing it.

California just introduced legislation to try to ban it again after failed attempts in the past.

The policy comes as a surprise in liberal California, home to some of the strongest sexual violence protections in the nation. What’s more surprising is that opposition to a prohibition on marriage before age 18 has not been driven by Republicans as in other states but by progressive groups including the ACLU and Planned Parenthood — both of which have sway in the majority-Democrat Legislature.

Among their concerns is that a total ban on marriage of minors could be a slippery slope and impede constitutional rights or reproductive choices, including access to abortion.

“That pretty much made it clear I was not going to be able to do this,” former Democratic state Sen. Jerry Hill, who attempted to ban underage marriage in 2017, said of the unexpected opposition from the influential groups.

The reality is, nobody should be making any major life-changing decisions at 16 (nor should 16 year olds be allowed to drink, smoke, or vote). The underlying idea is creepy, but I don't think we should pretend it's inherently anymore creepy when a person we have other disagreements with says it.

Planned Parenthood and ACLU suggests "We should not restrict marriage to 18 because that could because that could have implications on abortion policy"
Democratic state legislature of Cali: "Okay, we'll vote against the rule change"

This republican dude suggests "We should not restrict marriage to 18 because that could because that could have implications on abortions"
"Gasp!!!! Can you believe what Edwards said just because he wants his preference to hold sway on the topic abortions?!?!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adam56

Nov 4, 2023
Nashville
✟25,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Corinthians 7:36 (KJV)
But if any man thinks he is acting improperly toward his virgin, if she is past marriageable age, and so it must be, he can do what he wants.

Leviticus 15:33 (KJV)
And of her that is sick of her flowers, and of him that hath an issue, of the man, and of the woman, and of him that lieth with her that is unclean.

Leviticus 15:33 (NIV)
for a woman in her monthly period, for a man or a woman with a discharge, and for a man who has sexual relations with a woman who is ceremonially unclean.

The Bible says the father is in charge here, not the government. The government has no business interfering here. This is an attack on traditional family freedoms.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 7:36 (KJV)
But if any man thinks he is acting improperly toward his virgin, if she is past marriageable age, and so it must be, he can do what he wants.

Leviticus 15:33 (KJV)
And of her that is sick of her flowers, and of him that hath an issue, of the man, and of the woman, and of him that lieth with her that is unclean.

Leviticus 15:33 (NIV)
for a woman in her monthly period, for a man or a woman with a discharge, and for a man who has sexual relations with a woman who is ceremonially unclean.

The Bible says the father is in charge here, not the government. The government has no business interfering here. This is an attack on traditional family freedoms.
The bible has no legal standing in this country.

Upvote 0

Adam56

Nov 4, 2023
Nashville
✟25,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bible has no legal standing in this country.
And water is wet.

Wanted to let the biblically illiterate Christians on the forum know what God thinks, lest they just succumb to the secular culture morality.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟496,576.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And water is wet.

Wanted to let the biblically illiterate Christians on the forum know what God thinks, lest they just succumb to the secular culture morality.
Don't forget what the bible says about keeping slaves, while you're at it.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And water is wet.

Consider mine to be a warning to anyone taking the quoted biblical text too explicitly that they might be violating the law and could end up in prison for dealing with "his virgin".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums