I want to write some novels, but I don't know if God approves of any of them.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did a little bit of work on my horror novel last night, but then felt a fear of God and begged God not to punish me. I'll see what I can do later.
You might want to talk to a priest or preacher about this then.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did a little bit of work on my horror novel last night, but then felt a fear of God and begged God not to punish me. I'll see what I can do later.

You felt the fear of God? So there is your answer!

Working on a Horror novel and felt the fear of God...That would be a red flag to me to stop doing that.

Ephesians 4:29-30
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.../KJV

I am of the belief that this applies to fingertips too!

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Working on a Horror novel and felt the fear of God...That would be a red flag to me to stop doing that.

29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.../KJV

But it could potentially be scrupulosity for DavidTheGnome, which is a form of OCD, but a priest would probably be able to discern the difference between an actual feeling from God vs. internal OCD for a person who asks for help.

Upvote 0

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟37,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the point of antagonizing your audience by the your novel? Your aim is to win and influence your listeners, not to antagonize them.
I thought the novel might show that the Devil is nobody's friend and scare people who worship him into running to Jesus.

Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But it could potentially be scrupulosity for DavidTheGnome, which is a form of OCD, but a priest would probably be able to discern the difference between an actual feeling from God vs. internal OCD for a person who asks for help.

What's scrupulosity? I never heard that term.

Upvote 0

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟37,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

And maybe one of my teeth having had some crumbling today and the moss growing on my garage roof are too.

I wish I was already in Heaven.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem is that I'm not sure whether or not God is okay with me writing these. I've had some bad stuff happen to me this year, which I suspected of being divine retribution for a lot of things I did throughout my life.

Trust God.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And maybe one of my teeth having had some crumbling today and the moss growing on my garage roof are too.

I wish I was already in Heaven.

I hear you Brother. But apparently the Lord still needs your boots on the ground here.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to resume writing, but I'm afraid of being punished by God.

If you can feel the Lord warning you then you might not want to write it anymore. It sounds like your conscience is talking to you. My advice is to listen and obey that voice.

That's how God works a lot of times. He'll tell you to not do something or cause your conscience to tell you. If you are supposed to do something but arent sure, then God will send you a internal peace within your spirit that makes it obvious, go ahead and do it!

But if you are not feeling peace but you do the fear? You might want to be careful Brother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I have to give up writing, then it's another dream of mine built up and smashed to pieces.

The Lord can pick up the shattered pieces and put them back together to make a Tiffany lamp out of them so don't worry.

Besides, is it really over? Was that going to be your only book ever? Doubtful. So just keep thinkng and praying.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟37,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have struggled with obsessive compulsions all my life.

I've developed the same fears of God about bicycling as I have about writing, which is why I haven't bicycled in months, and bicycling is one of my favorite things to do.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have struggled with obsessive compulsions all my life.

I've developed the same fears of God about bicycling as I have about writing, which is why I haven't bicycled in months, and bicycling is one of my favorite things to do.
Biking is pretty fun brother, and bike paths are pretty safe, just like writing is pretty safe. You might want to talk to a psychologist about this OCD, as it is consuming your life. Pure OCD/anxiety.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟37,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Biking is pretty fun brother, and bike paths are pretty safe, just like writing is pretty safe. You might want to talk to a psychologist about this OCD, as it is consuming your life. Pure OCD/anxiety.
I sure hope and pray that's all that it is. I want my life back.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟208,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I want to resume writing, but I'm afraid of being punished by God.

If I have to give up writing, then it's another dream of mine built up and smashed to pieces.
Romans 8:14-16 said:
14 For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons and daughters of God. 15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons and daughters by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

Hebrews 12:4 said:
4 You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin; 5 and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons,

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
Nor faint when you are punished by Him;
6 For whom the Lord loves He disciplines,
And He punishes every son whom He accepts.”

7 It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 8 But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. 9 Furthermore, we had [d]earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much more be subject to the Father of [e]spirits, and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness. 11 For the moment, all discipline seems not to be pleasant, but painful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterward it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

12 Therefore, strengthen the hands that are weak and the knees that are feeble, 13 and make straight paths for your feet, so that the limb which is impaired may not be dislocated, but rather be healed.

From these verses, we know that the discipline of the Lord for believers in Christ, while painful, does not lead to fear. We are not God's slaves who have to fear His every sovereign move. I pray that you may be strengthened. From what I have read, it seems that Satan is coming to scare you away from what could be a valuable witness to others.

Our Lord disciplines his children in love. His correction is not something to be feared. It is Satan who attacks and punishes people for making progress and accomplishing tasks that could be a witness for God's glory and honor. Adversity frequently means that you are heading in the right direction.

But if you have a mental illness, please do seek treatment so that you may not have any more broken dreams.

1 John 4:17-19 said:
17 By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, we also are in this world. 18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. 19 We love, because He first loved us.

I pray that the Lord would show His love and support for you very soon, so that your heart may be strengthened.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟218,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, in the horror story, the Devil and the demons lose. The female protagonist, who turns out to be God's chosen champion in the conflict between good and evil, fights the demons with guns, a blade, and her martial arts skills, but after killing the Devil's self-made champion, she calls on the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit to deliver the coup de grace.
In the Elder Scrolls story, the Ayleid elves and the Daedra lose.

Fictional writing is something I really enjoy doing. Also, I thought maybe my horror novel, if it gets published, might scare some Satanists into running to Jesus. I read at least 2 chapters of the Holy Bible daily. I enjoy bicycling, but I haven't done that in months, although I'd love to get back to doing it. I've also been trying to turn my swimming pool into a garden, but progress on it has been halted, although I'd like to get it finished.
That sounds okay. It's very clear your Christian beliefs are HEAVILY influencing your writing......& that is very good. It shows your passion. You can use it to witness. Readers will ask what are your beliefs.....& that's an opportunity to share the Truth.

I wrote a little fiction once. Halfway thru evil won, completely took over everything, & it's like, now what? Evil can't win. We know it can't.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,764,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread had a small clean up. Please stick to the topic and reply with grace. Remember:

Let your speech always be [fn]with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.
Col. 4:6 NASB95

• Winner
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟848,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For what it's worth, I say go for it. A novel is a great way to express your thoughts. Having a fictional demon do something evil, to make a statement about evil, is in my opinion doing God's work. Go by your convictions as God personally speaks to your spirit, but don't be afraid of Him. He is your Father, and He loves you. You might want to try praying before writing. And if you feel Him telling you not to follow that story line, then stop. That's obeying Him, and he's certainly not going to punish you for doing that. (Any time He does punish, it's not to hurt us, but to refine us and make us more like Him. But that's a different discussion.)

Not to piggyback or hijack your thread, but I too am an aspiring writer. I have just finished one novel (self-published), and I have the seed of another one hatching. I may even start on it today. My stories tend to be about healing from trauma and abuse. As they say, write what you know. I'm certainly not going to leave God out of my writing, even in a secular-aimed work, but you can still preach a gospel using analogy and allegory, as C.S. Lewis did.

Upvote 0