NW England
✟1,062,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A while back, I got tired of the religious strictures I've been bound by these past months, and listened to some music I like (classic rock, symphonic metal, and synthwave), and did some artwork after some encouragement from my therapist, and now my life is even worse. I guess I am being punished for moments of happiness and for buildups of hope.
As I see it, THAT is what the problem is - your belief that the bad things that happen in your life are punishment for the good things/times.

The Bible says that Jesus died for our sins - even Isaiah said that he was bruised for our iniquities. You seem to be saying "my sins are SO great that, as well as Jesus' death, I am punished by getting stinky tyres - or whatever else is going on in your life."
If you are saying that God needs to punish you for your sins, then you are effectively saying that Jesus' death wasn't enough

Reactions: DavidTheGnome
Upvote 0

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟37,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I see it, THAT is what the problem is - your belief that the bad things that happen in your life are punishment for the good things/times.

The Bible says that Jesus died for our sins - even Isaiah said that he was bruised for our iniquities. You seem to be saying "my sins are SO great that, as well as Jesus' death, I am punished by getting stinky tyres - or whatever else is going on in your life."
If you are saying that God needs to punish you for your sins, then you are effectively saying that Jesus' death wasn't enough
There are things I'd love to be wrong about, and this divine retribution stuff is one of them. Maybe I'm an anhedonic cherophobe.
I believe Jesus's body and blood is capable of covering all sins. I believe it can cover mine, but I haven't been sure whether or not it will.

Upvote 0

Laeomis

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2024
✟5,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @DavidTheGnome

God bless you. There are two main suicides that I think about in the Bible: King Saul and Judas Iscariot. Both betrayed Jesus Christ in a way. Iscariot directly, and Saul by trying to kill David who is the Branch of Christ Revelation 22:16. I hope these stories can give you some kind of relief, and I pray that God removes this pain from you and replaces it with something great. Amen.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,062,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are things I'd love to be wrong about, and this divine retribution stuff is one of them.
You are wrong about it.
I believe Jesus's body and blood is capable of covering all sins. I believe it can cover mine, but I haven't been sure whether or not it will.
It will.
Why would Jesus die for everyone else except you? He loves you.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,062,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As per my therapist's suggestion, I'm displaying some of my artwork as backgrounds to lyrics at the church today.
I'm scared about it though. I pray God allows me to do this and that it doesn't produce bad consequences.
Have you ever thought that any "bad consequences" may be because the devil is mad that you are worshipping and serving God - and that he might want to get you to stop?

Hope it goes well and blesses people.

Upvote 0

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟37,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever thought that any "bad consequences" may be because the devil is mad that you are worshipping and serving God - and that he might want to get you to stop?

Hope it goes well and blesses people.
The thought has occurred to me. I also pray that God prevents him from doing anything ever.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟37,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is the image I'm using as the background for the song Love Lifted Me.

Jesushand&Adrienna73butterbuilding.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟30,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
David, I want to tell you something. God is about to set you free, man! He knows exactly what He's doing. It's going to be awesome. For once, I don't have a Bible verse to share to back me up, He just put this on my heart to tell you. All I know is that I recognize God's hand in what you're sharing, and HE STILL HEALS! Keep seeking, brother! Strong In Him is exactly right, the enemy is quaking in his boots. God bless!

Upvote 0

Phil_D

May 16, 2024
Huntsville
✟359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi David. If you are dealing with depression, the book of Job is a great book to read. It shows how the life of a good man starts falling apart, but there are circumstances that he is unaware of going on in the background. Spoiler alert: Satan was messing with him. Job had free will and held out under some really extreme circumstances. Job gave God the glory and tried his best to stay faithful, even when his "friends" showed up and accused him of being responsible. God was constantly recommending his example when Satan would show up. Satan in turn would seek to further attack Job. God would let Satan test Job, but always put limits on him. Highly recommend you read through that book. In the end, God blesses Job greater than he had before. Now, we're not guaranteed that kind of ending in this life, but if we hold out and stay faithful to him, we are told that anything we suffer in this life is not worthy to be compared with the reward in eternity (Romans 8:18). If you are not currently, I would recommend daily bible reading (2 Tim 2:15). That can be an encouragement as well!

Upvote 0