New York
✟44,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you really trust in God if all you do is "believe" (have intellectual assent) in Jesus and the Gospel of His salvation? James says, NO! Belief without action is dead belief, which cannot save (James 2:14). Our belief must be faith (intellectual assent that leads to action), not just confidence and assurance, but action, substance, evidence.
Believe on Jesus Christ to save you. I put in my OP to trust and have faith in Jesus to save you as well as to believe. I still think believing Jesus is will save you is enough. It is not works that save you as nothing you do is going to clear the sin debt you have.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believe on Jesus Christ to save you. I put in my OP to trust and have faith in Jesus to save you as well as to believe. I still think believing Jesus is will save you is enough. It is not works that save you as nothing you do is going to clear the sin debt you have.
There is absolutely nothing any person can do to clear the debt of sin anyone has, this is true. But it is equally true that if you do not do what God says leads to receiving salvation, then you also do not receive that salvation. Without faith it is impossible to please God, and faith is not just intellectual assent. Faith is both intellectual assent (belief) and the actions engendered by that belief, for without actions faith is dead (James 2:26). Our actions complete, or make perfect, our faith. And imperfect, incomplete faith cannot save (James 2:14). If your belief does not cause you to do the actions that God commands, then you don't really believe; you just think that you do.

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟50,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There is absolutely nothing any person can do to clear the debt of sin anyone has, this is true. But it is equally true that if you do not do what God says leads to receiving salvation, then you also do not receive that salvation. Without faith it is impossible to please God, and faith is not just intellectual assent. Faith is both intellectual assent (belief) and the actions engendered by that belief, for without actions faith is dead (James 2:26). Our actions complete, or make perfect, our faith. And imperfect, incomplete faith cannot save (James 2:14). If your belief does not cause you to do the actions that God commands, then you don't really believe; you just think that you do.
What actions lead to receiving salvation if it's not calling on the name of the Lord to save you (Ro 10:13)? It can't be offering your children as human sacrifices.

20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? (Jas 2:20–21)​

And it can't be lying to authorities when they ask you what you know about some spies.

25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way? 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. (Jas 2:25–26)​

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What actions lead to receiving salvation if it's not calling on the name of the Lord to save you (Ro 10:13)? It can't be offering your children as human sacrifices.

20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? (Jas 2:20–21)​

And it can't be lying to authorities when they ask you what you know about some spies.

25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way? 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. (Jas 2:25–26)​
Those are examples of faith in those people in those times. Today, we have the commands in Scripture to tell us what actions we must take. Rom 10:9-10 says that confession of Jesus as Lord results in receiving salvation. Acts 3:19 says that repentance results in forgiveness of sin. Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Col 2:11-14, Rom 6:1-7, and 1 Pet 3:21 all say that baptism in water results in salvation. These are the only things in the NT that we are commanded to do to receive salvation. All other actions flow out from having already received salvation (fruits of the Spirit). While calling on the name of the Lord is necessary, just calling on the name of the Lord does not lead to salvation, because many will call on His name and He will say, "I never knew you." Calling on His name must be done in terms of a relationship with Him. An example would be the brothers (sons of Sceva) who tried to use Jesus' name to cast out a demon. The demon replied, "I recognize Jesus, and I know of Paul, but who are you?" (Acts 19:11-17)

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟50,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Those are examples of faith in those people in those times.
They are examples of faith plus works. In Abraham's case, God instructed him to offer his son as a sacrifice on an alter. Just saying, "I believe you" and doing nothing would not have been enough. Follow-through was necessary. But faith plus works was also necessary when he didn't sacrifice Isaac upon God telling him to stop. The same thing is true for Rahab. She feared God would destroy her town. Just being certain would not have saved her. She had to act on what she believed in order to be saved.

There is another example of faith plus works that James gave, but it was an example of faith not being accompanied by works. If you see someone naked and hungry and send him on his way with a blessing and don't help him, that is analogous to faith without works.

And he gave other examples of faith without works, among them... thinking you are religious but not controlling your tongue, clinging to the law that says love your neighbor as yourself but breaking the law through showing partiality, blessing God and cursing men, boasting about your piety while having envy and self-seeking in your heart, and dishonoring the law by being judgmental of others.

None of these examples point to what a person does to gain salvation. They point to things that people do to prove as false what they say they believe. And they all stem from these verses:

21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. 22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does. (Jas 1:21–25)​

If a person "looks into the perfect law of liberty" and "continues in" the perfect law of liberty, he will be "blessed in what he does". And the follow-on is this advice to how to "continue in it":

12 So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. 13 For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment. (Jas 2:12–13)​

The punchline is memerable... Mercy triumphs over judgment.
Today, we have the commands in Scripture to tell us what actions we must take. Rom 10:9-10 says that confession of Jesus as Lord results in receiving salvation. Acts 3:19 says that repentance results in forgiveness of sin. Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Col 2:11-14, Rom 6:1-7, and 1 Pet 3:21 all say that baptism in water results in salvation. These are the only things in the NT that we are commanded to do to receive salvation. All other actions flow out from having already received salvation (fruits of the Spirit). While calling on the name of the Lord is necessary, just calling on the name of the Lord does not lead to salvation, because many will call on His name and He will say, "I never knew you." Calling on His name must be done in terms of a relationship with Him. An example would be the brothers (sons of Sceva) who tried to use Jesus' name to cast out a demon. The demon replied, "I recognize Jesus, and I know of Paul, but who are you?" (Acts 19:11-17)
I prefer this list of necessary and sufficient conditions:

53 Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven—not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever.” (Jn 6:53–58)​

Jesus is the manna which came down from heaven to give us life. Eating Him is both necessary and sufficient to gain eternal life.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are examples of faith plus works.
Faith without works is not real faith; it is dead and worthless.
In Abraham's case, God instructed him to offer his son as a sacrifice on an alter. Just saying, "I believe you" and doing nothing would not have been enough. Follow-through was necessary. But faith plus works was also necessary when he didn't sacrifice Isaac upon God telling him to stop. The same thing is true for Rahab. She feared God would destroy her town. Just being certain would not have saved her. She had to act on what she believed in order to be saved.
That is exactly the point. Without taking action none of them would have received the blessings at stake. Just saying "I believe" is not faith, and it does not result in the receiving of the blessing. Faith includes doing what is required based on that belief.
There is another example of faith plus works that James gave, but it was an example of faith not being accompanied by works. If you see someone naked and hungry and send him on his way with a blessing and don't help him, that is analogous to faith without works.
That is analogous to dead faith, which is to say no faith at all.
And he gave other examples of faith without works, among them... thinking you are religious but not controlling your tongue, clinging to the law that says love your neighbor as yourself but breaking the law through showing partiality, blessing God and cursing men, boasting about your piety while having envy and self-seeking in your heart, and dishonoring the law by being judgmental of others.

None of these examples point to what a person does to gain salvation. They point to things that people do to prove as false what they say they believe. And they all stem from these verses:

21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. 22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does. (Jas 1:21–25)​

If a person "looks into the perfect law of liberty" and "continues in" the perfect law of liberty, he will be "blessed in what he does". And the follow-on is this advice to how to "continue in it":

12 So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. 13 For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment. (Jas 2:12–13)​

The punchline is memerable... Mercy triumphs over judgment.

I prefer this list of necessary and sufficient conditions:

53 Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven—not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever.” (Jn 6:53–58)​

Jesus is the manna which came down from heaven to give us life. Eating Him is both necessary and sufficient to gain eternal life.
So you're saying the action of being baptized as Scripture commands is not essential, but the action of eating Jesus body and drinking His blood as Scripture commands is essential? Is that not still an action? Is it not still something we have to do to be saved?
If you include one, and ignore the other, you of necessity negate Scripture and make some Scripture to be false. But ALL Scripture is truth, and comes from the mouth of God.

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟50,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

That is exactly the point. Without taking action none of them would have received the blessings at stake. Just saying "I believe" is not faith, and it does not result in the receiving of the blessing. Faith includes doing what is required based on that belief.

So you're saying the action of being baptized as Scripture commands is not essential, but the action of eating Jesus body and drinking His blood as Scripture commands is essential? Is that not still an action? Is it not still something we have to do to be saved?
If you include one, and ignore the other, you of necessity negate Scripture and make some Scripture to be false. But ALL Scripture is truth, and comes from the mouth of God.
I'm saying that James was not promoting a faith plus works recipe for salvation. His "faith without works is dead" comments were aimed at ending hypocritical Christian living... to people saying they believed in the tennants of the gospel (mercy, liberty, love, etc.) but whose actions were the opposite (judgmental, legalistic, and self-endulgent, etc.). In none of his criticism's was he questioning their salvation but in all urged them to turn back to God... even in this harsh passage:

4 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?​
6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:​
“God resists the proud,​
But gives grace to the humble.”​
7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. (Jas 4:1–10)​

And I'm saying that Jesus told us the truth when He said (a) "unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you" (Jn 6:53), and (b) "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life" (Jn 6:54). These two statements form a necessary and sufficient condition for having eternal life. Being a Georgia Tech man, I'm sure you know what that means. But for the uninitiated, it means that in order to have eternal life, it is "necessary" for you to have eaten His flesh and drank His blood. That's what John 6:53 says... if you havn't done it, then you don't have life. Also, eating his flesh and drinking His blood is "sufficient" for granting eternal life, meaning if you have done it, then you have eternal life. This is what John 6:54 says. These two statements combined create a necessary and sufficient condition for having eternal life... you have eternal life if and only if you have eaten Jesus' flesh and drank His blood. To be clear, this is not talking about His physical flesh and blood, as He clarified when He said, "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life." (Jn 6:63)

So, if you want to make water baptism necessary for salvation, then you must make the case that it is the same thing as eating His flesh and drinking His blood or a required pre-requisite (i.e, you must be baptized before you can eat and drink), or an automatic follow-on (i.e., if you eat or drink, then you are automatically water baptized). In any case, What Jesus said can't be undone.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm saying that James was not promoting a faith plus works recipe for salvation. His "faith without works is dead" comments were aimed at ending hypocritical Christian living... to people saying they believed in the tennants of the gospel (mercy, liberty, love, etc.) but whose actions were the opposite (judgmental, legalistic, and self-endulgent, etc.).
Faith means the same before one is saved as it does after one is saved. There is not one faith that saves and then a different faith that one has after receiving salvation.
In none of his criticism's was he questioning their salvation but in all urged them to turn back to God... even in this harsh passage:

4 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?​
6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:​
“God resists the proud,​
But gives grace to the humble.”​
7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. (Jas 4:1–10)​

And I'm saying that Jesus told us the truth when He said (a) "unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you" (Jn 6:53), and (b) "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life" (Jn 6:54). These two statements form a necessary and sufficient condition for having eternal life.
These passages do not negate or cancel out Rom 10:9-10, Acts 2:38, Acts 3:19, Rom 6:1-7, Col 2:11-14, 1 Pet 3:21, and all the others that tell us there are other things that are also required to be saved.

He is not talking about cannibalism. He is talking about eating the Spiritual food that is His Word (John 6:63). The reference here is to taking Communion (the Lord's Supper), and taking Communion does not bring about salvation. If you take Communion in an unworthy manner, then you eat and drink Judgement/damnation upon yourself (1 Cor 11:27-29). Only those who have already been saved should take Communion, otherwise they cannot properly discern the Body, or the body and blood of Christ.
Being a Georgia Tech man, I'm sure you know what that means. But for the uninitiated, it means that in order to have eternal life, it is "necessary" for you to have eaten His flesh and drank His blood. That's what John 6:53 says... if you havn't done it, then you don't have life. Also, eating his flesh and drinking His blood is "sufficient" for granting eternal life, meaning if you have done it, then you have eternal life.
His flesh and blood is the Spiritual Word which we have recorded in the Scriptures. It is the digestion of them, starting with the milk of the Word (the Gospel and then the simpler matters of the Christ like life) that brings life. And then as you grow in life, you graduate to the more weighty (solid meat) matters of the Word.
This is what John 6:54 says. These two statements combined create a necessary and sufficient condition for having eternal life... you have eternal life if and only if you have eaten Jesus' flesh and drank His blood. To be clear, this is not talking about His physical flesh and blood, as He clarified when He said, "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life." (Jn 6:63)
Took you long enough to get here. But notice this, not all who eat His flesh and drink His blood (read and study the Scriptures) receives life. It is those who digest it (internalize it) and obey it (have faith in it) who receive salvation. Notice in Heb 5:9 that Jesus is the author of salvation to those who obey Him.
So, if you want to make water baptism necessary for salvation, then you must make the case that it is the same thing as eating His flesh and drinking His blood or a required pre-requisite (i.e, you must be baptized before you can eat and drink), or an automatic follow-on (i.e., if you eat or drink, then you are automatically water baptized). In any case, What Jesus said can't be undone.
I have already made the case that baptism is required by Scripture, and is the point at which salvation is actually received. And this is shown in 1 Pet 3:21, Col 2:11-14, Rom 6:1-7, and Acts 22:16. Baptism is a step of faith and is the point at which we become one with Christ. As with a wedding, there is a point in time during the ceremony when the two become one. They entered the room as two, and they leave the room as one. It is not a gradual process of slowly over time moving from two to one, it happens in an instant, with one declaration the minister declares them one. This is what baptism is; the moment in which the Holy Spirit actually removes sin and resurrects us from death in sin to life in Christ.

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟50,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
His flesh and blood is the Spiritual Word which we have recorded in the Scriptures. It is the digestion of them, starting with the milk of the Word (the Gospel and then the simpler matters of the Christ like life) that brings life. And then as you grow in life, you graduate to the more weighty (solid meat) matters of the Word.
No it's not. He is referring to Himself, not the Bible.

47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.” (Jn 6:47–51)​

He plainly said that He came down from heaven to sacrifice His own flesh and blood so that we may have eternal life through believing in Him.
But notice this, not all who eat His flesh and drink His blood (read and study the Scriptures) receives life.
If we take eating Jesus out of the equation and substitute in obeying the Bible, then we get what we see here... religious people that never receive eternal life. Why is this so? Because Jesus Himself is the bread which came down from heaven. Eating Him (I would say this is analagous to receiving Him into our hearts) and drinking His blood (I would say this is analagous to believing that His blood offering to God for our sins sufficiently satisfies the debt we owe) is the one and only way to receive eternal life. Contrary to what you say, EVERYONE who eats His flesh and drinks His blood has eternal life!
  1. "I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. (Jn 6:48–50)
  2. "If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever" (Jn 6:51)
  3. "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life" (Jn 6:54)
  4. "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me." (Jn 6:57)
  5. "He who eats this bread will live forever." (Jn 6:58)
It is those who digest it (internalize it) and obey it (have faith in it) who receive salvation. Notice in Heb 5:9 that Jesus is the author of salvation to those who obey Him.
If we take eating Jesus out of the equation and substitute in obeying the Bible, then we get what we see here... salvation by works.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No it's not. He is referring to Himself, not the Bible.

47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.” (Jn 6:47–51)​

He plainly said that He came down from heaven to sacrifice His own flesh and blood so that we may have eternal life through believing in Him.
And what is the Bible but His Word? The Bible came from Jesus, just as Jesus came from the Father. Just as Cornelius was saved through the words spoken to him by Peter, so we are saved through the words written by the inspired writers of God's Word.
If we take eating Jesus out of the equation and substitute in obeying the Bible, then we get what we see here... religious people that never receive eternal life. Why is this so? Because Jesus Himself is the bread which came down from heaven. Eating Him (I would say this is analagous to receiving Him into our hearts) and drinking His blood (I would say this is analagous to believing that His blood offering to God for our sins sufficiently satisfies the debt we owe) is the one and only way to receive eternal life. Contrary to what you say, EVERYONE who eats His flesh and drinks His blood has eternal life!
  1. "I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. (Jn 6:48–50)
  2. "If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever" (Jn 6:51)
  3. "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life" (Jn 6:54)
  4. "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me." (Jn 6:57)
  5. "He who eats this bread will live forever." (Jn 6:58)

If we take eating Jesus out of the equation and substitute in obeying the Bible, then we get what we see here... salvation by works.
There is no such thing as "salvation by works". That is a fabrication of Satan as a diversion from obedience to God. Eating Jesus' flesh is more than "receiving Him into our heart", it is receiving Him as our Lord, Master, and submitting to Him as his servant. One who does not do his Master's will is not really a servant, but a liar and a deceiver. Drinking His blood is more than believing that Jesus' blood covers our sin debt, it is completely submitting to His authority and honoring His commandments found in His Word, the Bible.

The bread the fathers ate in the wilderness equates to the Law of Moses, but the bread we eat equates to the Law of Jesus. They died in the desert, but we live in Christ. They will be resurrected at Judgement, we are resurrected in Spirit as soon as we are baptized into Christ just as the Spirit says through Paul in Col 2:11-14, we die to sin and are raised in Christ as the Spirit says through Paul in Rom 6:1-7.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟50,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And what is the Bible but His Word? The Bible came from Jesus, just as Jesus came from the Father. Just as Cornelius was saved through the words spoken to him by Peter, so we are saved through the words written by the inspired writers of God's Word.

There is no such thing as "salvation by works". That is a fabrication of Satan as a diversion from obedience to God. Eating Jesus' flesh is more than "receiving Him into our heart", it is receiving Him as our Lord, Master, and submitting to Him as his servant. One who does not do his Master's will is not really a servant, but a liar and a deceiver. Drinking His blood is more than believing that Jesus' blood covers our sin debt, it is completely submitting to His authority and honoring His commandments found in His Word, the Bible.

The bread the fathers ate in the wilderness equates to the Law of Moses, but the bread we eat equates to the Law of Jesus. They died in the desert, but we live in Christ. They will be resurrected at Judgement, we are resurrected in Spirit as soon as we are baptized into Christ just as the Spirit says through Paul in Col 2:11-14, we die to sin and are raised in Christ as the Spirit says through Paul in Rom 6:1-7.
Consistent with what you are saying, the big problem with the Lordship Doctrine is that the Bible is made "Lord" and not actually Jesus Himself. Even if that were not a problem, a person's sins after they have "made Jesus their Lord" prove that their commitment wasn't worth the paper it was written on. As a result, they must rely on God's grace for their "failures to obey Him as Lord" to not count against them. And before you say it, I will just say that godly sorrow after a person sins is not a valid substitute for obedience.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Consistent with what you are saying, the big problem with the Lordship Doctrine is that the Bible is made "Lord" and not actually Jesus Himself. Even if that were not a problem, a person's sins after they have "made Jesus their Lord" prove that their commitment wasn't worth the paper it was written on. As a result, they must rely on God's grace for their "failures to obey Him as Lord" to not count against them. And before you say it, I will just say that godly sorrow after a person sins is not a valid substitute for obedience.
The Bible is not "Lord", that is only God (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), but the Bible is God's words written by inspiration by His instruments. And as such, it should be followed as if God were speaking directly to us through it.

Godly sorrow is not a substitute for obedience, that is true. But thank God we are not expected to be perfect, just to strive to be so, and to walk in the Light trusting the Spirit to support, guide, strengthen, and rescue us. Even Paul said that what he didn't want to do (sin) he did, and what he wanted to do (righteous deeds) he didn't do. So God says that if we are walking in the Light the Spirit continually cleanses us from all sin.

Upvote 0

Basketball

Apr 7, 2020
New York
✟44,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Faith is confidence in what you hope for and certainty about what you do not see. Believe is to accept something as true, to be persuaded something is true.

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟50,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is not "Lord", that is only God (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), but the Bible is God's words written by inspiration by His instruments. And as such, it should be followed as if God were speaking directly to us through it.

Godly sorrow is not a substitute for obedience, that is true. But thank God we are not expected to be perfect, just to strive to be so, and to walk in the Light trusting the Spirit to support, guide, strengthen, and rescue us. Even Paul said that what he didn't want to do (sin) he did, and what he wanted to do (righteous deeds) he didn't do. So God says that if we are walking in the Light the Spirit continually cleanses us from all sin.
Maybe you could clarify a couple things about your beliefs.

Concerning Lordship, you say we should follow the Bible "as if God were speaking directly to us". Do you also say that when God actually speaks to us directly, as He does all day every day by His Spirit, that we should obey Him and do what He says?

Concerning servanthood, you said before that "One who does not do his Master's will is not really a servant, but a liar and a deceiver". Now you are saying that "doing" the Master's will is not required, only "wanting to do" His will and "striving to be" perfect is required. Then you say all our failures to do the Master's will are forgiven and are not counted against us. Please clarify who that person is "who does not do his Master's will" and "is not really a servant, but a liar and a deceiver."

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith is confidence in what you hope for and certainty about what you do not see. Believe is to accept something as true, to be persuaded something is true.
Faith is not just confidence and certainty. It is confidence to the point of action, thus evidence of what is hoped for. It is certainty to the point of obedience, thus substance of what cannot be seen. Without action there is no faith, because there is no substance/evidence. The actions complete the mental aspects of faith, making it complete, whole, and alive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟308,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Man is saved through faith and not by works (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9); yet genuine faith is (evidenced) by works. (James 2:14-26).

*Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption "alone" and not based on the merits of our works. (Romans 3:24-28)

It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not based on the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 4:5-6; 5:1; 5:9); yet the faith that justifies does not remain alone (unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine. (James 2:14-26) *Perfect Harmony*

Reactions: John Mullally
Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you could clarify a couple things about your beliefs.

Concerning Lordship, you say we should follow the Bible "as if God were speaking directly to us". Do you also say that when God actually speaks to us directly, as He does all day every day by His Spirit, that we should obey Him and do what He says?
We should obey God when He speaks from whatever source at all times. We certainly don't always do so, meaning that we continue to sin all through our life, like stumbling while walking a path through the woods, but God has told us that as long as we are walking in the Light, even though we stumble, He will continually cleanse us from all sin.
Concerning servanthood, you said before that "One who does not do his Master's will is not really a servant, but a liar and a deceiver". Now you are saying that "doing" the Master's will is not required, only "wanting to do" His will and "striving to be" perfect is required. Then you say all our failures to do the Master's will are forgiven and are not counted against us. Please clarify who that person is "who does not do his Master's will" and "is not really a servant, but a liar and a deceiver."
No human is perfect, and God knows and understands that. It is not possible for a human to be perfect, because we have a nature of sin, a flaw that Satan caused that makes us want to be our own master instead of submitting to God as our Master. But one who, as Paul put it, continually buffets his body daily to keep it in line with God's Lordship is walking in the Light. One who submits to his body's urging to sin continually is not submitting to Jesus as Lord, and so is not walking in the Light, even if he claims to be. He is deceiving himself. The more one buffets his body, driving it to stay in line with God's commands for how to live life, the more like Jesus that person will become. And the more one allows the body to direct his actions, the more like Satan that person becomes. It is the desire to do God's will to the point of sacrifice of ungodly pleasures that leads to continually doing God's will more easily. Just having the desire does not make one godly, it requires the actions also, even though those actions are flawed, fall off the path, and fail often.

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟50,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We should obey God when He speaks from whatever source at all times.
I 100% agree. He tells you in a dream to rise up, kill, and eat, you don't say, "No, Lord".
We certainly don't always do so, meaning that we continue to sin all through our life, like stumbling while walking a path through the woods,
I 100% agree. We are to walk in the Spirit all the time. If we do it, we will not gratify the desires of the flesh. But we don't always walk in the Spirit, and when we don't walk in the Spirit, we end up gratifying the lusts of the flesh.
but God has told us that as long as we are walking in the Light, even though we stumble, He will continually cleanse us from all sin.
I can't say I agree with this because of the words, "as long as". It appears you are saying God's continual cleansing from sin stops if we are not walking in the light. But that doesn't make sense because forgiveness is not needed when a person walks in the light, for there is no cause for stumbling when he walks in the light (1 Jn 2:10). Therefore, if he stumbles, it is evidence that he is not walking in the light, and that's the only time His cleansing from sin is needed. Are you saying He forgives our past sins only after we get up after a fall and start walking in the light again?
No human is perfect, and God knows and understands that. It is not possible for a human to be perfect, because we have a nature of sin, a flaw that Satan caused that makes us want to be our own master instead of submitting to God as our Master.
I think I materially agree with this. James beautifully describes the lifecycle of sin in James 1:14-15. He says, in particular that "each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed". (Jas 1:14) The devil may entice, but a person's own sinful desires are what draw him away from God to sin. This is the sin-nature that does not go away after a person is saved, and its presence in a person is why he continues to sin after he is saved. The Spirit and the flesh have desires that are in adversarial opposition to one another, and that is why walking in the Spirit is the only way to not carry out the desires of the flesh.
But one who, as Paul put it, continually buffets his body daily to keep it in line with God's Lordship is walking in the Light.
I would say that a person who has been joind to the Lord and is one spirit with Him (1 Cor 6:17) and who also walks in lock step with the Spirit (Ga 5:25) is walking in the light. There is no way to change the flesh into being less sinful than it is, so buffeting it doesn't make it more holy. Gratifying the Spirit is the only way to prevent the fruits of the flesh from developing and maturing.
One who submits to his body's urging to sin continually is not submitting to Jesus as Lord, and so is not walking in the Light, even if he claims to be. He is deceiving himself.
I agree that walking in the flesh is the opposite of walking in the Spirit. If a person walking in the Spirit, he is not walking in the flesh. Obviously, no instance of sinning is in line with submitting to Jesus as Lord. But I would also say that no sinful desire of the flesh (draws us away from God to sin) is in line with submitting to Jesus as Lord.
The more one buffets his body, driving it to stay in line with God's commands for how to live life, the more like Jesus that person will become. And the more one allows the body to direct his actions, the more like Satan that person becomes.
I first learned the tennants of progressive sanctification in the early 1980's. Back then, I eagerly adopted them. But the longer I practiced them, the more obvious it became that progressive sanctification is a false doctrine. The bottom line is that the flesh is corrupt beyond repair and the new man, which was created according to God in true righteousness and holiness, is not corruptible by sin (Eph 4:22-24). We could discuss this in more detail if you are interested.
It is the desire to do God's will to the point of sacrifice of ungodly pleasures that leads to continually doing God's will more easily. Just having the desire does not make one godly, it requires the actions also, even though those actions are flawed, fall off the path, and fail often.
Yes, "action" is required. "If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit." (Ga 5:25)

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I 100% agree. He tells you in a dream to rise up, kill, and eat, you don't say, "No, Lord".
Peter's resistance was righteous at the time.

We are told in the OT to test messengers who claim to be from God, and if their message is not consistent with other messages we already have from God, to reject the message and stone the messenger. So when God's new command contradicted a message already received and proven to be from God, the new message had to be rejected.

But God was showing Peter that the old command had been eliminated in favor of a new command, and that what God had previously declared to be unclean was now clean (both food and Gentiles).
I 100% agree. We are to walk in the Spirit all the time. If we do it, we will not gratify the desires of the flesh. But we don't always walk in the Spirit, and when we don't walk in the Spirit, we end up gratifying the lusts of the flesh.

I can't say I agree with this because of the words, "as long as". It appears you are saying God's continual cleansing from sin stops if we are not walking in the light. But that doesn't make sense because forgiveness is not needed when a person walks in the light, for there is no cause for stumbling when he walks in the light (1 Jn 2:10). Therefore, if he stumbles, it is evidence that he is not walking in the light, and that's the only time His cleansing from sin is needed. Are you saying He forgives our past sins only after we get up after a fall and start walking in the light again?
The Light illuminates the Narrow Path, it does not illuminate the darkness of the wide path. Satan tempts us even while we are walking the Narrow Path, and if we stumble and fall off of the Path, we enter darkness. If we repent and return to the light, the Blood cleanses us from all sin, but if we fail to repent and return, then we remain lost and condemned. This is what James is telling us in James 5:19-20.
I think I materially agree with this. James beautifully describes the lifecycle of sin in James 1:14-15. He says, in particular that "each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed". (Jas 1:14) The devil may entice, but a person's own sinful desires are what draw him away from God to sin. This is the sin-nature that does not go away after a person is saved, and its presence in a person is why he continues to sin after he is saved. The Spirit and the flesh have desires that are in adversarial opposition to one another, and that is why walking in the Spirit is the only way to not carry out the desires of the flesh.

I would say that a person who has been joind to the Lord and is one spirit with Him (1 Cor 6:17) and who also walks in lock step with the Spirit (Ga 5:25) is walking in the light. There is no way to change the flesh into being less sinful than it is, so buffeting it doesn't make it more holy. Gratifying the Spirit is the only way to prevent the fruits of the flesh from developing and maturing.
Buffeting the body does not mean beating yourself with rods, or depriving yourself of pleasures as those in the middle ages did. To use a horse analogy, it means breaking the flesh to the reins, and using a bit and bridle to maintain control of it. Like a young mount, it may break free and cause havoc in its youth, but the more it is trained with the reins, the less often it seeks to break free, and the more quickly and easily it is brought back under control when it does.
I agree that walking in the flesh is the opposite of walking in the Spirit. If a person walking in the Spirit, he is not walking in the flesh. Obviously, no instance of sinning is in line with submitting to Jesus as Lord. But I would also say that no sinful desire of the flesh (draws us away from God to sin) is in line with submitting to Jesus as Lord.
I agree, but Satan is still there constantly placing obstacles in our way, and trying to draw us away to himself. To use another analogy, it is easy to keep focused on the road when you have a clean windshield. When you have driven for a while, insects start to splatter on your windshield. One insect is easy to overlook, and keep your focus on the road. But after a while there are hundreds of insects on the windshield, and it becomes easier to take your focus off of the road and onto the guts of a particularly large bug that splatters in amazing color and brilliance. When this happens, an accident becomes much more likely. Satan is a master at sending "bugs" to splatter on our life, just in time for the traffic in front of us to stop suddenly and we end up with a massive crash in our life. Part of our duty is to keep our windshield clean so we are not as distracted when the bigger bugs hit.
I first learned the tennants of progressive sanctification in the early 1980's. Back then, I eagerly adopted them. But the longer I practiced them, the more obvious it became that progressive sanctification is a false doctrine. The bottom line is that the flesh is corrupt beyond repair and the new man, which was created according to God in true righteousness and holiness, is not corruptible by sin (Eph 4:22-24). We could discuss this in more detail if you are interested.
Correct, there is nothing "progressive" about sanctification. We are either sanctified, or we are not. It is the training of our spirit to be in tune with THE Spirit, and to have greater and greater control over our flesh that is progressive.
Yes, "action" is required. "If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit." (Ga 5:25)

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟50,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Peter's resistance was righteous at the time.
Lol. It's righteous to say "No, Lord, I'm not going to do what you say" when the Lord tells you to do something?
So when God's new command contradicted a message already received and proven to be from God, the new message had to be rejected.
You're gonna double down on that?
But God was showing Peter that the old command had been eliminated in favor of a new command, and that what God had previously declared to be unclean was now clean (both food and Gentiles).
So, you would not contend that the one acceptable answer is "Yes, Lord. You are in control. I will do what you say."?
The Light illuminates the Narrow Path, it does not illuminate the darkness of the wide path. Satan tempts us even while we are walking the Narrow Path, and if we stumble and fall off of the Path, we enter darkness. If we repent and return to the light, the Blood cleanses us from all sin, but if we fail to repent and return, then we remain lost and condemned.
Thanks for clarifying. That's what I thought you meant... a saved person becomes lost when he sins, then gets his sins forgiven after repenting and returning again to walking in the light. Since that is what you believe, how many times can a person sin, repent, and be saved again? Is seventy times seven the lifetime limit?
Buffeting the body does not mean beating yourself with rods, or depriving yourself of pleasures as those in the middle ages did. To use a horse analogy, it means breaking the flesh to the reins, and using a bit and bridle to maintain control of it. Like a young mount, it may break free and cause havoc in its youth, but the more it is trained with the reins, the less often it seeks to break free, and the more quickly and easily it is brought back under control when it does.
So, you're saying that over time, as we train our flesh to be good, we sin and lose our salvation less frequently and we gain back our salvation through repentance more quickly? I heard a famous preacher from Texas say in a sermon that he had gone as long as 3 days in a row without sinning once. Let's assume his clame was right. Would you say that he needs to beat his flesh some more to stretch out the number of days that his salvation lasts to several weeks or months or years instead of just 3 days?
Correct, there is nothing "progressive" about sanctification. We are either sanctified, or we are not. It is the training of our spirit to be in tune with THE Spirit, and to have greater and greater control over our flesh that is progressive.
I don't know exactly what you're saying. The idea of training our spirits to be in tune with His Spirit is not a scriptural concept. On the contrary, gaining new life in Christ gives us new spirits that are rightly aligned with Him in every way. Our new spirits are rightly aligned with Him by virtue of the fact that they were created when He gave birth to us by His Spirit, meaning we are His offspring. But I do agree that we walk in lock step with His Spirit more effectively as we learn through use to train our spiritual senses to discern good and evil.

Upvote 0