Visit site
✟438,339.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
живот is cognate with the Latin ‘vīta’ (from Sanksrit ‘jīvitá, “life”)
Yeah, that I knew. The root just looked closer to the Slavic than to the Latin. Yandex Translate gave the root as “to rise”, pretty straightforward.

I find etymological dictionaries to be overall more helpful than standard “definition” dictionaries. They take me deeper, and further away from just one guy’s guesswork.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟438,339.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting stuff. Goes to show how there was one language in the ancient times, the Indo-European language.

Info about Indo-European: Russian and Sanskrit similarities
Well, yes, it is how this starts to become visible as you learn more and more of an ever-wider range of languages. I can SEE the Tower of Babel, at least, its outline in the vast criss-crossing that is so clearly mixed-up versions of each other (after what little we really know of PIE) rather than languages developing separately in isolation; it’s all indicative of a sudden drastic change of all languages, which the ToB story fits, and other explanations, not so much.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, yes, it is how this starts to become visible as you learn more and more of an ever-wider range of languages. I can SEE the Tower of Babel, at least, its outline in the vast criss-crossing that is so clearly mixed-up versions of each other (after what little we really know of PIE) rather than languages developing separately in isolation; it’s all indicative of a sudden drastic change of all languages, which the ToB story fits, and other explanations, not so much.
I was gonna mention the Tower of Babel (from 4000 years ago) as well, as languages changed drastically around 4000 years ago.

Yes, this is from Wikipedia, but it covers multiple languages: Evolution of languages - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟138,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Christ is Risen!
Христосъ воскресе!
¡Cristo ha resucitado!
Χριστὸς ἀνέστη!
Christus ist auferstanden!
Hristos a înviat!
המשיח קם!
المسيح قام!
ქრისტე აღსდგა!
Xris-tusaq Ung-uixtuq!
ハリストス復活!

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,192,084.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christ is Risen!
Христосъ воскресе!
¡Cristo ha resucitado!
Χριστὸς ἀνέστη!
Hristos a înviat!
המשיח קם!
المسيح قام!
ქრისტე აღსდგა!
Xris-tusaq Ung-uixtuq!
ハリストス復活!
Truly (all the above) :sorry:

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,192,084.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Believe it or not, I actually know how to correctly say all of them too!
:D
I hear quite a few of them in the ROCOR parish we attend as we have a lot of different ethnicities present. Our priest monk is Anglo but speaks a bit of German, our other priest is from Indonesia, we have Greeks, Russians, Brazilians and a few others I can't remember, plus a few people speak other languages. We get to hear all of them on Saturday night/Sunday morning :cool:

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟488,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Christ is Risen!
Христосъ воскресе!
¡Cristo ha resucitado!
Χριστὸς ἀνέστη!
Hristos a înviat!
המשיח קם!
المسيح قام!
ქრისტე აღსდგა!
Xris-tusaq Ung-uixtuq!
ハリストス復活!

He Is Risen Indeed!

That reminds me of the Welcome Aboard messages on TWA and Delta international flights in the late 1990s, which opened their very elegant and very serious safety briefing videos.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟488,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I hear quite a few of them in the ROCOR parish we attend as we have a lot of different ethnicities present. Our priest monk is Anglo but speaks a bit of German, our other priest is from Indonesia, we have Greeks, Russians, Brazilians and a few others I can't remember, plus a few people speak other languages. We get to hear all of them on Saturday night/Sunday morning :cool:

Splendid! You know I always love visiting ROCOR parishes as they tend to do a really good job at liturgics, and I really find the people very friendly.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟138,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I picked them up over the years. Here in the US English, Slavonic, Greek, and Arabic are the most common and a little less so Romanian. Georgians will say theirs loud and proud. The Japanese one I picked up at an OCA parish where there were some families that lived in Japan for years. The Yupik one (Xris-tusaq Ung-uixtuq) I head from a Native Alaskan who used to live at one of my old parishes. I like that one the most mainly because it always confuses people who don't know it lol

Splendid! You know I always love visiting ROCOR parishes as they tend to do a really good job at liturgics, and I really find the people very friendly.
eh....... don't go to New York or Seattle. The most unfriendly ROCOR people, both clergy and laity, were in those areas.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟488,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I picked them up over the years. Here in the US English, Slavonic, Greek, and Arabic are the most common and a little less so Romanian. Georgians will say theirs loud and proud. The Japanese one I picked up at an OCA parish where there were some families that lived in Japan for years. The Yupik one (Xris-tusaq Ung-uixtuq) I head from a Native Alaskan who used to live at one of my old parishes. I like that one the most mainly because it always confuses people who don't know it lol

eh....... don't go to New York or Seattle. The most unfriendly ROCOR people, both clergy and laity, were in those areas.

I had a ROCOR priest from Seattle who greatly helped me with a personal bereavement, and also I have long wanted to visit the monastery on Vashon Island. I also really love the music at the Synodal Cathedral of the Sign in New York City.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟138,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I had a ROCOR priest from Seattle who greatly helped me with a personal bereavement, and also I have long wanted to visit the monastery on Vashon Island. I also really love the music at the Synodal Cathedral of the Sign in New York City.
I can not in good conscience recommend the monastery on Vashon. I used to regularly visit Abbot Tryphon who used to be a kind, loving monk but has since drank the Moscow Kool-Aid. He has bought into their narrative that all Ukrainians are Nazis, Russia is on the good side of a holy war, Putin is a living saint, etc. Basically, a similar situation from how rusmeister has describe the Stalinist priests in Russia. Do not go there.

Upvote 0