Best Books of the Bible to Read When Struggling With Faith?

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All of them..although Jonah comes to mind based on what you posted...
That reminds me of Esther. Although God is not mentioned in that book, it's cool to see Him working all things out behind the scenes. Since the OP is in a drought, reading Esther and meditating on how God works "invisibly" might be helpful.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I want to keep reading it over and over again as I am on my drought

Yuckstine: On increasing your faith in God: Romans 10:17, 1 Peter 1-25...it be in Luke 17:5-10 that the apostles asked Jesus to increase their faith. Then there's Mark 9:24...the man says: Lord, I believe... but help my unbelief...many struggle with that same type of thing.

It not be for us to just read the same thing over and over again, a body needs to hear the Word of God and do what it say....ref: James 1:22.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to keep reading it over and over again as I am on my drought
Reading the Bible will not strengthen your faith, per se. It will give you ammunition, but if you want to be able to take advantage of it, you must believe it, but intellectual agreement that what you read is true won't do it. Belief is a matter of the heart. Part of the process of obedience to God's will is what gets a person more faith. Prayer, fasting, and other spiritual disciplines help. (In addition to being good themselves, they are also ways to be obedient.)

By the way, if you are painfully aware of your lack of faith, then seeking more faith won't help in the short-term. Time is needed for a human's faith to grow; it's called building your faith on the rock that is Jesus Christ. Regardless, you can seek comfort for the short-term through the promises of God as well as other (encouraging) Christians—especially if they are more rooted in the Word and more experienced in life than you. Serving people worse off than yourself, or even just talking to them, can help, too.

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
All of the Word of God is inspired by the Holy Spirit. If it is in the Word of God, that means, that the Holy Spirit thinks that is important. All of the Word of God inspires faith. God never put something in his Word, which will not build up faith.

2 Corinthians 1:20, (Matthew 14:29,30,31+Luke 8:49,50+Romans 4:18,19,20) Hebrews
11:1,6, Mark 11:22-24, Psalm 13, Psalm 130, Matthew 7:8, Psalm 62:8, 1 John 5:14,15,
Psalm 130:5,6, Psalm 38:15, Romans 4:18, 10:17, 15:18,19, Psalm 62:8, Matthew 7:24-27,
11:20-23, 13:3-8, 24:24,35, Micah 7:7, Galatians 5:6, 1 Peter 1:6,7,23,25, John 1:1,14,
Numbers 11:21,22,23, 1 Kings 18:43, 44, Psalm 33:20, Psalm 40:1, Psalm 25:5, Psalm 27:14,
2 Peter 1:1, Ephesians 6:23, Romans 8:24,25,32, Galatians 5:22

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Reading the Bible will not strengthen your faith, per se. It will give you ammunition, but if you want to be able to take advantage of it, you must believe it, but intellectual agreement that what you read is true won't do it. Belief is a matter of the heart. Part of the process of obedience to God's will is what gets a person more faith. Prayer, fasting, and other spiritual disciplines help. (In addition to being good themselves, they are also ways to be obedient.)

By the way, if you are painfully aware of your lack of faith, then seeking more faith won't help in the short-term. Time is needed for a human's faith to grow; it's called building your faith on the rock that is Jesus Christ. Regardless, you can seek comfort for the short-term through the promises of God as well as other (encouraging) Christians—especially if they are more rooted in the Word and more experienced in life than you. Serving people worse off than yourself, or even just talking to them, can help, too.
I disagree.

Knowing who God is through what He reveals to us in His Word does promote faith. The Bible even says so.

Romans 10:17
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reading the Bible will not strengthen your faith, per se. It will give you ammunition, but if you want to be able to take advantage of it, you must believe it ...
I disagree.

Knowing who God is through what He reveals to us in His Word does promote faith. The Bible even says so.

Romans 10:17
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
I agree. It's two sides of the same coin, though. A person's ability to "hear" is dependent on the Spirit.

For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith.
(Hebrews 4:2, 1984 NIV)

“No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. (John 6:44, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree. It's two sides of the same coin, though. A person's ability to "hear" is dependent on the Spirit.

For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith.
(Hebrews 4:2, 1984 NIV)

“No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. (John 6:44, 1984 NIV)
I believe the question I was answering is Does God's Word promote faith? So I'm not sure how I am wrong. God's Word does promote faith. God's Word says faith comes by hearing the Word of God or the gospel message.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe the question I was answering is Does God's Word promote faith? So I'm not sure how I am wrong. God's Word does promote faith. God's Word says faith comes by hearing the Word of God or the gospel message.
So the belief is from report, and the report through the word of God. (Romans 10:17, ABP [literal from the Greek])

Ah, hearing in some translations confused me. I was thinking (and still think) that we can't "hear" (understand and believe) the Word of life without the working of the Holy Spirit because of spiritual blindness (John 14:6b).

However, I forgot that the Word is God (John 1:1, 1 John 1:1). Thank you for not giving up on challenging me; I was wrong. The power of God in the Word must bring faith. (The power of God is inseparable from the Word of God.) In fact, It might even be the case that reading/hearing the Word with an open heart always moves someone's faith in the right direction.

Upvote 0