The evidence for Evolution.

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if you did or not.
It doesn't matter. Whatever points your were discussing, right or wrong, justified or not, it does not belong in this thread. Because it has nothing to do with the validity of the scientific theory of biological evolution.
You do realize that whatever tangent you think I've introduced into this thread was actually introduced by another person who I was attempting to assuage of his heightened concern about the "Satanic Influence" of Darwin's ToE?

It might very well be that I agree with your points.
...well, that sounds promising. :cool:

That's a given, as that is the way every idea in science is treated.
Well, that probably depends on whether one subscribes to Methodological Materialism or Philosophical Materialism.

Because there is no reason to.
It only confuses people about what the word means in a scientic context.

Is that what you were shooting for, by the way, by putting so much explicit emphasis on that word? To imply that, because it is called a "theory", that it doesn't need to be taken terribly seriously or something of the sorts?
I only do it for emphasis to try to get those TO WHOM I'm addressing to take notice and hopefully think a little more on the subject. And no, I didn't emphasize the term "theory" to imply a colloquial denotation, but in the context of the dialogue I had with those I was speaking to (i.e. a fellow Christian, initially), I was attempting to emphasize the difference between the biological fact of evolution apart from the scientific theory of evolution. Do you think I am wrong in doing so?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then what was with the emphasis on the word? What point were you trying to make, by doing so?

Christians are often confused by this very thing. AGAIN, I was initially speaking to a fellow Christian (who is of the more Fundamentalist variety). They need this 'explained' to them...often. Sometimes, non-Christians need it explained to them too because they've listened too much to those like Richard Dawkins. ;)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then why did you feel the need to capitalize the word theory?

Basically to differentiate it from the colloquial term, "theory." Christians many times don't understand that there is a difference in the denotations involved between simply saying "theory" and instead saying "scientific theory."

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Basically to differentiate it from the colloquial term, "theory." Christians many times don't understand that there is a difference in the denotations involved between simply saying "theory" and instead saying "scientific theory."

Then perhaps you could have simply said 'the scientific theory of evolution', since there is a long history of Christians who believe in a literal reading of the Bible more often than not capitalize the word theory to try and prove a poor point about the theory of evolution.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then perhaps you could have simply said 'the scientific theory of evolution', since there is a long history of Christians who believe in a literal reading of the Bible more often than not capitalize the word theory to try and prove a poor point about the theory of evolution.

In this particular thread, the focus of my interlocution with one of the other posters--a Christian--was specifically upon Darwin's ToE. (Of course, you and I know that we no longer adhere to a "Darwin only" scientific model of evolution. Unfortunately, a lot of Christians can never get past Darwin, and they tend to think of him as the sole designer of the whole concept.)

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well, that probably depends on whether one subscribes to Methodological Materialism or Philosophical Materialism.

No, I'm just talking about science. All ideas in science are provisional. Which is why the word used for the "graduation stage" of such ideas is the word "theory", not "fact".

The provisional nature of these ideas is implied by the word "theory".

I only do it for emphasis to try to get those TO WHOM I'm addressing to take notice and hopefully think a little more on the subject. And no, I didn't emphasize the term "theory" to imply a colloquial denotation, but in the context of the dialogue I had with those I was speaking to (i.e. a fellow Christian, initially), I was attempting to emphasize the difference between the biological fact of evolution apart from the scientific theory of evolution. Do you think I am wrong in doing so?

No, I just think it is confusing, because you put emphasis on the word while talking to me, not your fellow christians.

But nevermind then.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unfortunately, a lot of Christians can never get past Darwin, and they tend to think of him as the sole designer of the whole concept.
What's the difference between Darwinism and the THEORY of evolution?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No, seriously ... what's the difference please?
Mostly in the science of genetics, which was in its infancy in Darwin's day. He observed heritable random variation and selection at work in nature and based his theory on those observations, but he had no inkling as to how that variation was produced.

• Informative
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mostly in the science of genetics, which was in its infancy in Darwin's day. He observed heritable random variation and selection at work in nature and based his theory on those observations, but he had no inkling as to how that variation was produced.
Is Darwinism the same thing as Evolution?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's the difference between Darwinism and the THEORY of evolution?

Well, AV............to answer that, I'd need to know "WHICH" Darwinism you're specifically referring to, and "WHICH" theory of evolution? Then we can slice and dice, and compare and contrast one to another.

By the way, AV, which historical model of Alfred E. Neuman represents "Neumanism" as you think of it today? o_O

upload_2016-10-21_11-32-33.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Is Darwinism the same thing as Evolution?
Strictly speaking, "Darwinism" is the theory of evolution conceived of by Darwin. It is not the same as the modern theory of evolution, which has moved on since Darwin's original insight. Neither is the same as evolution. Evolution occurs; both Darwinism and the modern theory of evolution which is based on it are theories which attempt to explain evolution.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Strictly speaking, "Darwinism" is the theory of evolution conceived of by Darwin. It is not the same as the modern theory of evolution, which has moved on since Darwin's original insight. Neither is the same as evolution. Evolution occurs; both Darwinism and the modern theory of evolution which is based on it are theories which attempt to explain evolution.
Sorry ... I don't understand.

I'm sure the theory of gravity has moved on since Newton, but it's still called the theory of gravity.

I would think that Darwinism, even though it's "new and improved," would still be Darwinism.

Ditto for geocentrism and other isms.

Just trying to find out.

But I will say this much:

I suspect scientists today have found something in Darwinism they don't like, and are therefore trying to distance themselves from it for some reason; and I'm wondering if that "something" isn't racism.

Just trying to find out.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Sorry ... I don't understand.

I'm sure the theory of gravity has moved on since Newton, but it's still called the theory of gravity.
And it's not called "Newtonianism" either.

I would think that Darwinism, even though it's "new and improved," would still be Darwinism.
Why should that be the case for the theory of evolution? We don't call the theory of relativity Einsteinianism either. In fact, science does not tend to call it's theories after the name of the originators

I suspect scientists today have found something in Darwinism they don't like, and are therefore trying to distance themselves from it for some reason; and I'm wondering if that "something" isn't racism.
In fact it is Creationists who insist on calling the theory of evolution "Darwinsim" for that very reason.

Upvote 0