What Does the Bible Say About Dating While Separated?

eatenbylocusts

Senior Veteran
Oct 13, 2005
✟14,434.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the kind words from experience. I'm so glad I found this thread in the midst of what I'm going through... and the confusion I am having.
We divorced July '08, Christians,parents of 2, 15 years married, did ministry together. In the first year she began to be sexually untouchable. On the few times I was adamant we conceived. Emotionally she has withdrawn over the years,wouldn't kiss,allow touching, surface talk. I have felt very lonely with the rejection, yet I still love her. She won't deal with her fear of intimacy and seems bound. She's faithful,claims to love me,and is a good mother. We are each other's best advocates.
So I tried settle it with a divorce. I've grieved some, distanced a little, but last night I had sex with a lady friend...and I don't feel so good. I guess I want to kill the love in my soul, but I can't deny the love that's there(it seems holy and good), yet God has brought no answer to make it work. So my insides are fragmented. Counseling only revealed her denial but I DO love her but can't rid myself of her. I dispair.
If your wife wants to reconcile then you should. You don't have grounds to divorce her so I wouldn't think you would have much peace.

I would like to know where your church stands in all this. If she believes the Bible is true she must know that she is not to deny her husband. If after a few sessions the counseling isn't getting anywhere then try another. The few times I've heard stories like this it has turned out that the wife had been sexually abused as a child. If this is the case then it would be the loving thing to do to let her get the counseling she needs first before demanding sex.

For the record I would be very upset if I was married and my husband refused to have sex with me or to make sure that I was satisfied. It's not right, but I understand that I would have to stay married.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This experience with this other woman has awakened me sexually and I find myself vulnerable in this desert. She wants more of me yet I feel guilty to see her. It's very hard for two adults who have been sexually together to be alone and remain platonic.

As to my ex, she uses an obscure blame towards me to not deal with the elephant standing in the room ie her refusal to face the hurt and need to DEAL with her deep fear of intimacy. And yes she was molested as a preschooler. Yet you can't make someone address their deepest hurts.

There is some debate as to whether sexual removal from the marriage is grounds for a divorce. It certainly is a form of abandonment. I wonder how your church would address our marriage. I feel lousy over this fling, I feel stupid because I'm still feeling love for ex, I know God loves me and this sin has hurt our relationship, but He's not clear either. Maybe I'm just hoping against all hope, don't know.

Upvote 0

rppearso

Sep 8, 2006
Alaska
✟1,061.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You should not feel lousy, sexual desire is an inherant human need along with drinking water and eating. Sexual neglect is grounds for divorce, it is equivilant to abandonment, in regards to divorce for sexual abuse (in this case the abuse is sexual refusal) you have to research on your own and decide for your self because there are so many neighsayers and zealots out there its not even funny and I feel like slapping them at times because stayin in a sexually unsatisfying marriage/relationship is inexcusable, also make sure the people you are taking advice from have half a brain cell. Be smart and stand up for yourself and stand your ground, if people are pressuring you into a bunch of bogus crap then cut them off, good christian friends will not throw stones at you. It is suspect that we have such an inate drive for sexual intimicy and the literal english interpertatoin of the bible and there are all kinds of cultural differences between then and now. There are alot of prudes in the christian church and they tout there own opinion more than anything. I have also noticed a much heavyer focus put on sex than other things in church, maybe when someone slips a swear word they should have a huge guilt filled intervention just like they would do if you were with this woman and had sex with her, if you really like her dont break it off tell her what you are feeling but she will only wait so long while you waffle around. The refusal of your wife has gotten so extreme that you are dating another woman, you need to make a decision to divorce your wife and give this other woman a chance or cut it off with her and go back to your depressing life with your wife. My ex wife went through sexual abuse in the past and it never gets better you will have issues for the rest of your lives and why waste the sexual peak of your life on someone who does not care about you because she is so caught up in her own issues, I believe people with sexual abuse issues need to just stay single because its not fair to burden a partner with that kind of baggage, marriage was not ment to suck regardless of what other crazy people may say. Be a man and stand up to the pressure and abuse, I was in the international church of christ in college and I had a ninjutsu class that interfered with one service and this guy was laying on a huge guilt trip like I had commited murder, my roomate walked in and politly asked him to leave and he kept going on so he said im going to ask nice one more time then im going to remove you by force, he left but thats sometimes what it takes, watch for the wolves in sheeps clothing and if you have to throw down such is life.

http://www.marriageradio.com/sexual_neglect_refusal_sexless_marriage.php

This experience with this other woman has awakened me sexually and I find myself vulnerable in this desert. She wants more of me yet I feel guilty to see her. It's very hard for two adults who have been sexually together to be alone and remain platonic.

As to my ex, she uses an obscure blame towards me to not deal with the elephant standing in the room ie her refusal to face the hurt and need to DEAL with her deep fear of intimacy. And yes she was molested as a preschooler. Yet you can't make someone address their deepest hurts.

There is some debate as to whether sexual removal from the marriage is grounds for a divorce. It certainly is a form of abandonment. I wonder how your church would address our marriage. I feel lousy over this fling, I feel stupid because I'm still feeling love for ex, I know God loves me and this sin has hurt our relationship, but He's not clear either. Maybe I'm just hoping against all hope, don't know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"You should not feel lousy, sexual desire is an inherant human need along with drinking water and eating. Sexual neglect is grounds for divorce, it is equivilant to abandonment, in regards to divorce for sexual abuse (in this case the abuse is sexual refusal) you have to research on your own and decide for your self because there are so many neighsayers and zealots out there its not even funny and I feel like slapping them at times because stayin in a sexually unsatisfying marriage/relationship is inexcusable, also make sure the people you are taking advice from have half a brain cell. Be smart and stand up for yourself and stand your ground, if people are pressuring you into a bunch of bogus crap then cut them off, good christian friends will not throw stones at you. It is suspect that we have such an inate drive for sexual intimicy and the literal english interpertatoin of the bible and there are all kinds of cultural differences between then and now. There are alot of prudes in the christian church and they tout there own opinion more than anything. I have also noticed a much heavyer focus put on sex than other things in church, maybe when someone slips a swear word they should have a huge guilt filled intervention just like they would do if you were with this woman and had sex with her, if you really like her dont break it off tell her what you are feeling but she will only wait so long while you waffle around. The refusal of your wife has gotten so extreme that you are dating another woman, you need to make a decision to divorce your wife and give this other woman a chance or cut it off with her and go back to your depressing life with your wife. My ex wife went through sexual abuse in the past and it never gets better you will have issues for the rest of your lives and why waste the sexual peak of your life on someone who does not care about you because she is so caught up in her own issues, I believe people with sexual abuse issues need to just stay single because its not fair to burden a partner with that kind of baggage, marriage was not ment to suck regardless of what other crazy people may say. Be a man and stand up to the pressure and abuse, I was in the international church of christ in college and I had a ninjutsu class that interfered with one service and this guy was laying on a huge guilt trip like I had commited murder, my roomate walked in and politly asked him to leave and he kept going on so he said im going to ask nice one more time then im going to remove you by force, he left but thats sometimes what it takes, watch for the wolves in sheeps clothing and if you have to throw down such is life."

WOW, you pretty much summed up my best understanding on this topic! One thing I have faced is in this marriage where I have been the one to suffer for wife's sexual/emotional abandonment is the response "Well it takes two to tango, marriage problems are usually both people's fauly". Well thank you very much. What a cad you would be to visit a sister in Christ in the hospital,black and blue for the third time lately of wife-beating and say "Hon, you know there's always blame on both sides; what did you do to cause him to beat you this time?"
I think at this point I have some blame. I'm refusing to let go of the "dream" and keep hoping that God would cure her. I haven't been disciplined to let go,take the pain so that I can realistically move on to a better future.

Upvote 0

rppearso

Sep 8, 2006
Alaska
✟1,061.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, no comments from the peanut gallery well thats a good thing and a first lol. Anyways, once you are able to let go and move on you will feel so much better but the move on part is critical because if you just let go and dont move on it may get worse. Since I have met my GF who does not have baggage life is exponentially better. The pain and putting your foot down and cutting off idiots in your church is a just a snap shot in time dont let thoes issues define your life. I have found people use church as a crutch so they dont have to think for themselves and you also get a little bit of mob mentality, it is unrealistic to roll everyone together based on faith alone and expect there to be interaction, there has to be commonalities here on this earth for people to click more on the lines of a fraternity where you have actual comradary, I have noticed that comradarary is lacking in the church big time. Good luck

"You should not feel lousy, sexual desire is an inherant human need along with drinking water and eating. Sexual neglect is grounds for divorce, it is equivilant to abandonment, in regards to divorce for sexual abuse (in this case the abuse is sexual refusal) you have to research on your own and decide for your self because there are so many neighsayers and zealots out there its not even funny and I feel like slapping them at times because stayin in a sexually unsatisfying marriage/relationship is inexcusable, also make sure the people you are taking advice from have half a brain cell. Be smart and stand up for yourself and stand your ground, if people are pressuring you into a bunch of bogus crap then cut them off, good christian friends will not throw stones at you. It is suspect that we have such an inate drive for sexual intimicy and the literal english interpertatoin of the bible and there are all kinds of cultural differences between then and now. There are alot of prudes in the christian church and they tout there own opinion more than anything. I have also noticed a much heavyer focus put on sex than other things in church, maybe when someone slips a swear word they should have a huge guilt filled intervention just like they would do if you were with this woman and had sex with her, if you really like her dont break it off tell her what you are feeling but she will only wait so long while you waffle around. The refusal of your wife has gotten so extreme that you are dating another woman, you need to make a decision to divorce your wife and give this other woman a chance or cut it off with her and go back to your depressing life with your wife. My ex wife went through sexual abuse in the past and it never gets better you will have issues for the rest of your lives and why waste the sexual peak of your life on someone who does not care about you because she is so caught up in her own issues, I believe people with sexual abuse issues need to just stay single because its not fair to burden a partner with that kind of baggage, marriage was not ment to suck regardless of what other crazy people may say. Be a man and stand up to the pressure and abuse, I was in the international church of christ in college and I had a ninjutsu class that interfered with one service and this guy was laying on a huge guilt trip like I had commited murder, my roomate walked in and politly asked him to leave and he kept going on so he said im going to ask nice one more time then im going to remove you by force, he left but thats sometimes what it takes, watch for the wolves in sheeps clothing and if you have to throw down such is life."

WOW, you pretty much summed up my best understanding on this topic! One thing I have faced is in this marriage where I have been the one to suffer for wife's sexual/emotional abandonment is the response "Well it takes two to tango, marriage problems are usually both people's fauly". Well thank you very much. What a cad you would be to visit a sister in Christ in the hospital,black and blue for the third time lately of wife-beating and say "Hon, you know there's always blame on both sides; what did you do to cause him to beat you this time?"
I think at this point I have some blame. I'm refusing to let go of the "dream" and keep hoping that God would cure her. I haven't been disciplined to let go,take the pain so that I can realistically move on to a better future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0