Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Myth: Busted.

Wikipedia has the full story.

During the 1980s, band member Ulf Ekberg spent a few years with a neo-Nazi group known as "Commit Suiside", during which point he was a skinhead. He was active in "far right" groups as late as 1988, but left not long after. By the time he started with Ace of Base, he had completely changed his ways. Unfortunately, every so often people will throw his past right back at him, such as when someone released a compilation album of his old music in order to ride the band's fame.

VH1's "Pop-Up Video" actually discussed the matter a good 15 years ago back when the band was still producing new material. As part of it, they claimed that during the film shoot for the video in question he spent a lot of time on-set marveling at his new, full head of hair.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Also, I was on the Cracked.com forums at one point and so had access to the area where writers develop new columns.

There's a definite party line when it comes to articles concerning news, politics, and history. This is on top of their general preference for shock as a means of getting eyeballs. Because of this, there are certain articles where they're almost guaranteed to be factually incorrect on points. In fact, a large part of why I got kicked off was because I knew too much in the way of "politically incorrect" history and would point the facts out to people.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Myth: Busted.

Wikipedia has the full story.

During the 1980s, band member Ulf Ekberg spent a few years with a neo-Nazi group known as "Commit Suiside", during which point he was a skinhead. He was active in "far right" groups as late as 1988, but left not long after. By the time he started with Ace of Base, he had completely changed his ways. Unfortunately, every so often people will throw his past right back at him, such as when someone released a compilation album of his old music in order to ride the band's fame.

VH1's "Pop-Up Video" actually discussed the matter a good 15 years ago back when the band was still producing new material. As part of it, they claimed that during the film shoot for the video in question he spent a lot of time on-set marveling at his new, full head of hair.

Yeah but what about them Nazis though?

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Until clicking the cracked article, I'd always assumed Ace of Base were black. Like TLC. In fact, I think I may have basically assumed they were the same group. Not really something I've given a lot of thought to since the early '90s, but there you go. TIL.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Until clicking the cracked article, I'd always assumed Ace of Base were black. Like TLC. In fact, I think I may have basically assumed they were the same group. Not really something I've given a lot of thought to since the early '90s, but there you go. TIL.

Well you learn something new every day.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well you learn something new every day.
TIL=Today I Learned

So, they were Swedish fly ins like ABBA and Roxette. I never even considered it. Was never really a big fan, I probably only ever considered them "inoffensive background noise" at most.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
TIL=Today I Learned

So, they were Swedish fly ins like ABBA and Roxette. I never even considered it. Was never really a big fan, I probably only ever considered them "inoffensive background noise" at most.

I've listened to more of their music since I read about this conspiracy than I ever did in the 90s.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
There is no connection between the band and the Nazi movement beyond what I explained.

If you're getting your information from Cracked, then you need to find a better source. Period.

I'd rather be safe than sorry. Literally dozens of people could be exposed to this music.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I always thought Ace of Base were a trio, with a blonde female singer and 2 guys on instruments.

I've just realised that for years I've been confusing them with Saint Etienne. Who weren't even Swedish. Or Nazis, afaik.

Upvote 0