Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Where they hear that motherhood and being a wife is oppression and should be avoided at all costs.

Again, nobody says that.

Look at the reaction just this little speech is getting... It's ridiculous.
It may be a bit much, but he also echoed language that's been used to oppress women for centuries. It's only within the last few decades that they've begun to turn that around.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟712,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well if I was this guy I'd be leaving the Catholic Church and fast they seem to despise traditional marriage so much.

Can't even speak of housewives in a Catholic University

No wonder the birth rate is in the toilet. We are below replacement rates... This here is why.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟150,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is the full speech, given on his own time in a Church. It seems some only believe in free speech as long as they agree with what’s being said.

h

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,136,791.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was a stay at home Mom but in the mid 1970s most of my suburban neighbors were.
My husband became a VP at his company at 32. He worked 60 hour weeks, traveled a few days a month.
We did not have an egalitarian marriage. If I didn't do it, it wouldn't get done--from domestic chores to finance to landscaping to soccer mom and everything in between. If something was broken, he'd tell me to hire someone. When my daughter was born we relocated every few years. He did things here and there--coaching, vacations, and I, being a writer and musician, always had fulfilling sidelines along with lots of community involvement.
But I would describe our family and childrearing as notable in his absence. I was mother and father and he was the fill-in sub. Reflecting back, I think our strict roles hurt both him and our 3 children.
And when I finally had a career he retired five years before I did--and all the chores still fell on me.
If I had had all the responsibility along with a rigid authoritarian husband, I would have left. But my husband was happy letting me be the decision maker.

• Friendly
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As a Catholic in a Catholic Church. Do you really want to try to control speech this much? The NFL should have said that he is free to express his opinions on his own time but they do not reflect the views of the NFL or something to that effect.
I appreciate my wife and the sacrifices she has made and I wouldn’t be where I am without her shouldn’t be a controversial statement anywhere, especially not in a Church.
It was at a college graduation, not in a church. It would be really weird to have a speech in the sanctuary of a Catholic church. Just the thought of a speech in a church is giving me the willies. Cheers.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It was at a college graduation, not in a church. It would be really weird to have a speech in the sanctuary of a Catholic church. Just the thought of a speech in a church is giving me the willies. Cheers.
Tell me you’re not a Baptist without telling me you’re not a Baptist.

ETA: AME and AoG, too.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟150,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Correct, my mistake. I’m not Catholic,there’s nothing weird about speeches being given in a church to me.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟712,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who’s advocating for him to have not been allowed to say that?

Everyone from the Catholics themselves throwing a fit to the women on the view ending with his public condemnation by the NFL to the public wanting him outright fired now..

I think the shorter list is who thought he had a right to speak at an event he was invited to speak at if it was at odds with the left wing meta narrative.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Tell me you’re not a Baptist without telling me you’re not a Baptist.

ETA: AME and AoG, too.
LOL, No. Other than not baptizing until 10 or whatever, I have no idea what the Baptists believe, but then again, I was never interested either..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps if you use my husbands definition perhaps.

The reason we stand for the anthem is because we don't worship the state, bending the knee is reserved for God alone in the American psyche.
Why is our National Anthem played before sporting events in the first place?
Just begin the event at the time set.
Why is this added jingoism “needed”?

So when Kapernick started kneeling my husband said he's worshipping the government.

Interesting take given that Mister Kaepernick actually told us “why”.
So, using my husband's definition it's an extreme or obscene love of state that Kapernick has.

But since he does it to express his hatred of it I don't ascribe my husband's definition to Kapernick - though it's also true.
Hatred of injustice is a virtue, kids need more than just the possibility of being a world-class athlete to “get ahead”.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Everyone from the Catholics themselves throwing a fit to the women on the view ending with the NFL publishing the players home address so people can physically harass the man after his public condemnation to the public wanting him outright fired now.
When did the NFL publish his address?

I think the shorter list is who thought he had a right to speak at an event he was invited to speak at if it was at odds with the left wing meta narrative.
Pointing out that what he said was bad is not the same as saying that he didn’t have a right to say it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL, No. Other than not baptizing until 10 or whatever, I have no idea what the Baptists believe, but then again, I was never interested either..
It’s less about our doctrine than it is about our history of politicking.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟327,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When did the NFL publish his address?
I think they're referring to Kansas City's (the city, not the team) twitter account saying that he lived in Lees Summit (i.e. a KC suburb, not KC itself - I think they were getting some flack from the hoi polloi). Probably not the wisest choice, but hardly "publishing his address". They deleted the tweet a little later.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟327,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well if I was this guy I'd be leaving the Catholic Church and fast they seem to despise traditional marriage so much.
It's not about "despising" traditional marriage. The problem that people have with what he said was his insistence that traditional marriage is the only meaningful path for women, and that anyone saying otherwise is peddling a "diabolical lie". His own mother is a doctor - a medical physicist. Does he truly think that the only meaningful thing she's done in her life is raise him and his sister? Does he think that her medical degree was a waste? Do you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟150,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not about "despising" traditional marriage. The problem that people have with what he said was his insistence that traditional marriage is the only meaningful path for women, and that anyone saying otherwise is peddling a "diabolical lie". His own mother is a doctor - a medical physicist. Does he truly think that the only meaningful thing she's done in her life is raise him and his sister? Does he think that her medical degree was a waste? Do you?
He didn’t say it was the only meaningful path.

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟327,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He didn’t say it was the only meaningful path.
Yeah, he kinda did.
For the ladies present today, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud of all that you have achieved to this point in your young lives. I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.

I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I'm on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation. I'm beyond blessed with the many talents God has given me, but it cannot be overstated that all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife, and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker.

She is a primary educator to our children. She is the one who ensures I never let football or my business become a distraction from that of a husband and father. She is the person that knows me best at my core, and it is through our marriage that, Lord willing, we will both attain salvation.

I say all of this to you because I have seen it firsthand how much happier someone can be when they disregard the outside noise and move closer and closer to God's will in their life. Isabelle's dream of having a career might not have come true, but if you asked her today if she has any regrets on her decision, she would laugh out loud, without hesitation, and say, “Heck, No.”

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟150,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, he kinda did.
I don’t see anything wrong with that or how that diminishes someone who chooses a career.
There’s value in being a mother and a wife and he’s celebrating that.

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟327,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don’t see anything wrong with that or how that diminishes someone who chooses a career.
What's the diabolical lie then?
There’s value in being a mother and a wife and he’s celebrating that.
Really. By talking down to anyone who chooses otherwise? And how would a man know the value in being a wife and mother? This isn't the 1950s.

Upvote 0