• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Terrified after being overwhelmed with 'joy'

stevenb6

Apr 24, 2023
United States
✟18,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been walking with Jesus for years now I believe. What's disappointing is the progress. I've made many positive strides, don't get me wrong. I've done things now I never would have thought possible.

I guess what scares me the most is the seriousness of Sin. How destructive it really is. It makes me angry more than anything but a little sad as well.

I'm still on medications. Lots actually. I think the idea of quitting them scares me. I have a tendency to (in my mind) hold a list up to myself of every single thing wrong or that ever went wrong blame myself for it.

I fear that if I ever got off medications, instead of it being a positive thing I'd just be uncovering another wound rotting away cause it's been there so long.

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟7,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Steven, I went through a terrible experience recently and i sounded like you. You will get through this. Don't lose heart but put on courage. Use Christ and his promise of life as your shield.

Hope in the Lord always no matter the failure, confusion, fear or worry. The apostles experienced these things as well. Things will get better. Keep hoping in the Lord no matter what.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟7,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God said that with Him all things are possible. His mercy is new every morning. Greater is Christ than he who is in the world. Nothing can separate us from Christ or the love of God. Nothing, not illness or the enemy. Gods grace also sustains our weaknesses and illness. Jesus loves us very much brother. Even if we can't see it.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

stevenb6

Apr 24, 2023
United States
✟18,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been using a lot of my negative circumstances as fuel for a greater fire. Im trading weaker physical habits for stronger ones, and many of them.

I feel right now like how jesus explains when a tree is rooted firmly in him it produces much fruit. I seem to have been multiplying in more circumstances than I can even count on one hand.

Man. I was so low the other day, but just like how jesus says we wil be changed in the twinkling of an eye. I am no longer who I used to be and through the persistence of faith through adversity it feels like just that now with how far I came. In the twinkling of an eye. Even though things arent perfect right now, i have so much faith God can fix everything in his perfect timing.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟30,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been walking with Jesus for years now I believe. What's disappointing is the progress.
Great advice given and appreciate your faith in the midst of trials.

I would like to offer some additional caution, though, about measuring your own progress. What is a good habit of periodically reviewing where you are spiritually can easily turn into a continual practice of hyper-criticizing yourself - thinking by doing so you are being meek, humble or something - a habit the Lord is gradually weaning me from now. If this doesn't apply to you, please ignore.

He's teaching me, rather, that true humility is actually dying to Self daily. It's hard to criticize yourself when you are letting Him live through you. As Keith Green once sang, "Oh, it's so hard to see when my eyes are on me."

He's put my focus on a few Scriptures to aid in being freed from this habit. For one, here's how Paul dealt with it...

The problem:

2 Corinthians 2:12 KJV

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."

The solution: keep the Lord seated on your personal throne...

1 Corinthians 4:1-5 NIV

"This, then, is how you ought to regard us: as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the mysteries God has revealed. Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God."

The means: all you have to do is yield daily, because it is Jesus who is responsible for getting you where He wants you to be in your sanctification - through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Phillipians 1:6 NIV

"... being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

In other words, let HIM be the one to measure how far along you are and relax, because HIS stated goal SHALL be completed:

Jude 1:24-25 NIV

"To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy-to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

God bless!

Upvote 0