Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Welcome to 2024. Happens all the time.

It is actually a term from the 1800's:

From the Urban Dictionary:

Crackers were poor white folk who lived in the south during the antebellum era. Given their name because of their staple diet of crack-corn, crackers were often hired by plantation owners in order to replace a slave in dangerous jobs. The high prices of slaves during the 1830s and 40s made It efficient to use a cracker rather than a slave. If a planter lost or injured a slave he would be pressed to buy another slave, but if the cracker got injured or died, finacially, the planter would have been unaffected. Crackers had a very low standard of living. Many of them lived in forests and dug holes in the ground to live in. despite their living conditions and their social status, crackers stilled believed they were better than the african slaves. Today, cracker is often used as a derogatory term for a white person for obvious reasons. It implies a person who lives in the utmost worst conditions and a person who no one really cares about.​

I am pretty sure he meant wisecracker. Different term. But you knew that as well. But in case you didn't.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,802,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There are comedy clubs called Wisecrackers, etc. Never heard of it being a racist term. :scratch:

Cracker yeah but wisecracker??

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟220,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I rarely see anyone wearing a cross necklace and see Christians all the time. I'm a Christian woman and don't own one.

I'm just saying, most people don't wear symbols on them like some do, instead they choose to let their lives and character glorify God so that Christ is glorified among men in this way.

A normal outdoor gathering of very real American Christians can look just like that picture...
So, as you say, there is nothing to identify them as American or Christian; they could just as easily be Dutch Zoroastrians.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟105,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I rarely see anyone wearing a cross necklace and see Christians all the time. I'm a Christian woman and don't own one.

I'm just saying, most people don't wear symbols on them like some do, instead they choose to let their lives and character glorify God so that Christ is glorified among men in this way.

A normal outdoor gathering of very real American Christians can look just like that picture...
And a staged group of actors and models intended to appear to be "very real American Christians" would look exactly like that picture.

And, let's remember, advertising companies stage stock photos like that all the time.

Here's one:
cookies-on-a-picnic.jpg

And another:
healthy-family-enjoying-summer-picnic-in-the-nature.jpg

And yet another:
44774609-happy-family-having-picnic-in-the-park-on-a-sunny-day.jpg

Oops.

-- A2SG, just sayin'....

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟747,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Welcome to 2024. Happens all the time.

A wisecracker, a person who engages in wisecracking, is not a racist term. And I have a hard time believing that you don't know this.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟747,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

There are comedy clubs called Wisecrackers, etc. Never heard of it being a racist term. :scratch:

Cracker yeah but wisecracker??

It's an act of being deliberately dishonest. He knows what a wisecracker is, he's just engaged in bad faith acting.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟723,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's an act of being deliberately dishonest. He knows what a wisecracker is, he's just engaged in bad faith acting.

-CryptoLutheran

Is a wisecracker deliberately dishonest?

No... Another interchangeable term for wisecracker is a smart alec

And I was being a bit of a smart alec and @returntosender knows it - hence the mention... Lol.

Other people? They might not know they are being wisecrackers which means they might not be a wisecracker at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟723,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's some pretty funny wise crackers posting in this thread. Guffaw.

Love you brother... And yes. I was being a wisecracker. :)

In my defense however it's true. I respect what the office of presidency was all my life, but I don't respect in any way the person who is sitting in it at the moment.

If I was anyone but who I am in this moment, there's no way I would be able to manage even a modicum of politeness.

I agree we need to move the national temperature down and get back to working on issues but to be honest I don't know how...How? Pretend?? That's not something real... And we do need real.

This is the fight of our lives and everything is now at stake. So I'm being real and trying to keep the wisecracks to a minimum... the best I can.

So please forgive me my occasionally wisecracking self... :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟368,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

-CryptoLutheran
It's not being dishonest. It's a wise guy jokester.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟183,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
And a staged group of actors and models intended to appear to be "very real American Christians" would look exactly like that picture.

And, let's remember, advertising companies stage stock photos like that all the time.

Here's one:
cookies-on-a-picnic.jpg

And another:
healthy-family-enjoying-summer-picnic-in-the-nature.jpg

And yet another:
44774609-happy-family-having-picnic-in-the-park-on-a-sunny-day.jpg

Oops.

-- A2SG, just sayin'....
Of course, and "look like American Christians" is very telling as to what "American Christianity: is all about--that is, the culture not the faith.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟183,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

BUDAPEST, March 4 (Reuters) - Hungary's nationalist Prime Minister Viktor Orban will meet former U.S. President Donald Trump this coming Friday in Florida, shortly after he openly endorsed his long-time ally's bid to return to the U.S. presidency this year.
The right-wing Orban, who has regularly been at loggerheads with the EU over his anti-immigration campaigns and moves to put the judiciary, NGOs, and media under more state control, has been described by Trump as a "great leader".

Orban's conservative family policies have also earned praise among populist figures in the United States, and Hungary has hosted meetings of CPAC, the Conservative Political Action Conference, in the past years.
Evidently CPAC doesn't really know what is actually going on in Hungary or they wouldn't be so eager to have Trump hang out with Orban. Hungary has strict gun control, liberal family leave policies, free child care, Universal health coverage, low cost higher ed, outstanding public transportation and many other perks which are anathema to US conservatives.

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟747,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Is a wisecracker deliberately dishonest?

No... Another interchangeable term for wisecracker is a smart alec

And I was being a bit of a smart alec and @returntosender knows it - hence the mention... Lol.

Other people? They might not know they are being wisecrackers which means they might not be a wisecracker at all.

A wisecracker isn't deliberately dishonest.

But someone claiming that "wisecracker" is an anti-white slur because the word "cracker" has been used that way--that's dishonest. Which is what happened earlier in this thread.

It's entirely possible the poster has simply never heard of the term "wisecracker" before--but chances of that are slim to none.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟122,947.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Evidently CPAC doesn't really know what is actually going on in Hungary or they wouldn't be so eager to have Trump hang out with Orban. Hungary has strict gun control, liberal family leave policies, free child care, Universal health coverage, low cost higher ed, outstanding public transportation and many other perks which are anathema to US conservatives.
Yeah, but he hates "teh gay" and likes Putin so it's ok to ignore all the other stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟723,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course, and "look like American Christians" is very telling as to what "American Christianity: is all about--that is, the culture not the faith.

American Christianity is a culture and a way of life. And it's a beautiful one when it reflects Christ - which many do daily. I'll quote from Jonathan Haidt below:

"I got my first teaching position at the University of Virginia,” he told the CCCU. UVA draws students from all over the country, but especially from the western and southern parts of the state.

“I had never met evangelical Christians, growing up in New York and going to Ivy League schools,” Haidt said. (He received a BA from Yale University and a PhD from the UVA, then did postdoctoral work at the University of Chicago.) “Of course they were there, but they weren’t as ‘out’ as they were at UVA.”

Haidt’s Christian students “radiated a kind of sweetness, a kind of warmth and gentleness and humility that I hadn’t seen before,” he said. “It was really lovely.”

He saw the same “warmth and openness and love” from evangelical churches he visited as part of a class on moral communities. “It was really beautiful, and it touched my heart. And when your heart is open, then your mind is open.”

As one who studies morality, Haidt was also impressed with the Bible (“among the richest repositories of psychological wisdom ever assembled”) and with the actions of Christians (“religious conservative Americans are . . . more generous with their time and money [than secular Americans]”).

“I started realizing that the scientific community at that time . . . was really underestimating and misunderstanding religion,” he said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟183,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, but he hates "teh gay" and likes Putin so it's ok to ignore all the other stuff.
Yes, Orban is an autocrat with a stick in one hand, but he has a carrot in the other. Trump's supporters just want the stick.

Upvote 0