Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We used to have a band play at Easter.
I was thinking about it recently.
What put it to mind was how folks 'seek' emotion at Church and I recall drums get emotions rolling.
I like drums so it woke me up and at that time, a kid in fact, I didn't mind it.

Reflecting on it, it was really a distraction.
I could not make out the songs because the drums.
I was more interested in the drums and beat than what it was about.
SO yeah, emotional or exciting things at Church that are sought out, replace not enhance.

Emotions do not stay regular.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We used to have a band play at Easter.
I was thinking about it recently.
What put it to mind was how folks 'seek' emotion at Church and I recall drums get emotions rolling.
I like drums so it woke me up and at that time, a kid in fact, I didn't mind it.

Reflecting on it, it was really a distraction.
I could not make out the songs because the drums.
I was more interested in the drums and beat than what it was about.
SO yeah, emotional or exciting things at Church that are sought out, replace not enhance.

Emotions do not stay regular.
During Easter service, our church used drums sparingly, more so a hand drum, soft piano and acoustic guitar. It went well. But yeah, a loud snare drum would not fit well at mass, unless the vocals were loud enough, or the snare drum was hit with a soft drum brush instead.

*Disclaimer: Not a drummer

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟450,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
During Easter service, our church used drums sparingly, more so a hand drum, soft piano and acoustic guitar. It went well. But yeah, a loud snare drum would not fit well at mass, unless the vocals were loud enough, or the snare drum was hit with a soft drum brush instead.

Yeah, as a young un it was cool. But I wasn't focused on the Mass.
I do love drums, still.

But it doesn't fit... because it is about emotion and not contemplation.
I don't care if folks like it. I just thought about how unreliable emotions are and if induced by excitement it is not a contemplative communication with the Lord.

If I was attending Mass and there were drums, I would avoid being upset. But I do think it's distracting.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟765,115.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

We have a drum set but they're rarely played due to the lack of a drummer.

My wife is Baptist. They also have a drum set but they have a glass or perspex shield around it to mute the sound. The drummer can play his heart out and it's still comfortable for the other musicians, singers and congregation.

I think it works quite well, and I don't have trouble hearing the songs. I'm hard of hearing, and havng a loud drum set next to me when I play the guitar can be distracting due to a phenomenon called "recruitment".

Of course they have the words on powerpoint display and good singers which adds to the clarity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟159,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've never seen drums at Mass, only guitars. Which I really didn't like IMO.

It's too bad you don't see more organ or Gregorian chant in Mass.
I loved the praise band at the Lutheran church, complete with drums, electric guitars, keyboards. That kind of music wouldn’t work at a Catholic Mass, though.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Praying Rose

Jan 11, 2020
USA
✟49,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I attended a Mass on a reservation where a hand drum was softly used and it was quite beautiful. Although I agree in general about loud, distracting instruments.

Modern guitars at Mass are not my favorite. Too many happy-clappy memories from the past. Sort of an artificial vibe.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟159,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've never seen drums at Mass, only guitars. Which I really didn't like IMO.

It's too bad you don't see more organ or Gregorian chant in Mass.
I’d prefer no music which is what they have at the earliest Sunday Mass but it’s too early for me. I‘m a night owl. If not no music then the organ. Unfortunately they play the piano for most of our Masses and I don’t care for it.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟129,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’d prefer no music which is what they have at the earliest Sunday Mass but it’s too early for me. I‘m a night owl. If not no music then the organ. Unfortunately they play the piano for most of our Masses and I don’t care for it.
My wife and I both "like" music, but for the Holy Mass we long for silence. The Church in many ways has stressed the need for more silence in the Liturgy, but I find too many pastors are more concerned with attendance numbers (which means "what do 'the people' want?") than offering what God wants:
Jn 4:21 Jesus said to her, "Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father.
Jn 4:22 You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews.
Jn 4:23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for such the Father seeks to worship him.
Jn 4:24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth."
And for many, "spirit" equals emotion, and "truth" is often traded for opinion.

In our parish, the Saturday evening Vigil Mass for Sunday was for a while "no music" at all - but it turned out that the reason was, the Music Director couldn't find the talent to provide for the Vigil Mass. The Parish has grown quickly over the last few decades, because of retirees moving south, and now more Catholics, more contributions, more money, more liberal/progressives, more external "beautifying", less depth, less traditional Catholic ways are growing here. "The ways of the world" growing in the Church is a very hard reality to bear...

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, as a young un it was cool. But I wasn't focused on the Mass.
I do love drums, still.

But it doesn't fit... because it is about emotion and not contemplation.
I don't care if folks like it. I just thought about how unreliable emotions are and if induced by excitement it is not a contemplative communication with the Lord.

If I was attending Mass and there were drums, I would avoid being upset. But I do think it's distracting.
Yeah, it is subjective, but yes, I'd rather go to a mass without drums.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Drums seems rather odd. What about liturgical dancing in some African traditions?
That happens, as long as the African tradition does not stray from Christianity or incorporate extraneous spiritual stuff that is not Christian.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟450,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Drums seems rather odd. What about liturgical dancing in some African traditions?
I guess you mean IN Africa.
No clue if they change up for the area like that. Well I haven't been able to understand visiting priests who come from there to say if they do.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟250,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I guess you mean IN Africa.
No clue if they change up for the area like that. Well I haven't been able to understand visiting priests who come from there to say if they do.
Ive known some nuns (in habits) from Africa that took pride in liturgical dance. Their community was over 500+ strong.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟250,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That happens, as long as the African tradition does not stray from Christianity or incorporate extraneous spiritual stuff that is not Christian.
The future of the Church is mostly from Africa. Both priestly and religious vocations are booming from Africa. That's a fact. Only time will tell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The future of the Church is mostly from Africa. Both priestly and religious vocations are booming from Africa. That's a fact. Only time will tell.
Yep, as this graph shows. Europe and the Americas are experiencing a decline, while Africa is experiencing an increase as a continent.

Source: Who Owns Global Christianity? - Gordon Conwell

1714963006763.png

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟250,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
  • Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fear not! God is sovereign!
Amen to that, as Isaiah 41:10 says below.

DateMay 1, 2024
VerseMatthew 6:25-34 (ESV): "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Isaiah 41:10 (ESV): "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Psalm 46:1-2 (ESV): "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea."
ExplanationThese three passages from the Bible offer comfort and reassurance to those who are anxious or fearful. Let's examine each passage in turn:

1. Matthew 6:25-34: In this passage, Jesus is teaching his disciples not to be anxious about their basic needs, such as food, clothing, and safety. He reminds them that God takes care of even the smallest creatures, and that they are of greater value than these creatures. Jesus urges them to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and promises that all their needs will be met. This passage is relevant to our modern anxiety in several ways. We live in a world where there is an abundance of news about conflicts, natural disasters, and other sources of fear and uncertainty. We may also face everyday stressors related to work, relationships, and finances. Jesus' message is that we should trust in God's provision and focus on seeking His kingdom and righteousness, rather than being consumed by our anxieties about the future.

2. Isaiah 41:10: In this passage, God speaks to His people through the prophet Isaiah, reassuring them that He is with them and will strengthen, help, and uphold them. This passage is especially relevant for those who are facing significant challenges or fears, whether related to personal struggles or larger global events. God's promise to be a present help in trouble is a source of comfort and encouragement, reminding us that we are never alone in our struggles.

3. Psalm 46:1-2: This passage from the book of Psalms is a powerful reminder that God is our refuge and strength, and that we can find peace and security in Him, even in the midst of chaos and uncertainty. The image of God as a refuge and strength is a powerful one, and it is a reminder that we can find comfort and security in Him, no matter what is happening in the world around us.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟190,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hallelujah!

Praise God in his holy sanctuary;
give praise in the mighty dome of heaven

Give praise for his mighty deeds
praise him for his great majesty.

Give praise with blasts upon the horn,
praise him with harp and lyre.

Give praise with tambourines and dance,
praise him with strings and pipes.

Give praise with crashing cymbals,
praise him with sounding cymbals.

Let everything that has breath
give praise to the LORD!

Hallelujah!
Psalm 150

It's what comes from the heart that matters, not the instrument that is used.

Music varies according to taste. Some people say they don't like guitars or drums, forgetting
that the organ was not used in Western Europe until around 900AD.

There was a time the Pope prohibited the use of the violin, as he couldn't stand the sound of it,
being his assistant was learning to play the violin and practice which grated the sitting pope's nerves.
He died and his assistant was made pope and returned the use of the violin at Mass. I forget the names
of the two popes, but learned of it when I played and sang with a group at Mass. There was also a minor
chord which a pope banned because he claimed that minor chords were of the devil. :D

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟450,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So much of the Catholic Church forms around culture.
Yet teachings, readings, and the Eucharist is world wide.

I find it 'neat' [60s expression] that we are all ONE in the Catholic Church.
And one as humanity.

We're in this together is a real thing.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0