Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would never have guessed comedian Russell Brand would be defending Christianity on Instagram, but here we are.

The actor’s journey to Christianity led him to share with his millions of followers that he’d chosen to be baptized. And so he was. He “took the plunge” on April 28 and was baptized in the River Thames.

Seeking stability amid chaos​

“Something occurred in the process of baptism that was incredible, overwhelming,” Brand said, reflecting on the experience in a video posted to his Instagram account. The actor expressed feelings of being “blessed, relieved, nourished” and “held.”

It doesn’t appear that Brand has become a Catholic, but he has posted videos in which he shares that he has taken up the practice of praying the Rosary.

And that’s the part I love best. Brand is clearly looking for something. He wants an anchor, an ancient practice. Something to ground him today.

In fact, in another video, he says as much. “I know a lot of people are sort of cynical about the increasing interest in Christianity and the return to God, but to me, it’s obvious,” Brand said, explaining to critics why he’s pursuing Christianity. “As meaning deteriorates in the modern world, as our value systems and institutions crumble, all of us become increasingly aware that there is this eerily familiar awakening and beckoning figure that we’ve all known all of our lives, within us and around us. And for me, it’s very exciting.” It’s about finding stability amid the chaos.

C.S. Lewis and the value of tradition​

Continued below.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,769,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anglican I assume. Interesting. Maybe he’ll cross the Tiber one day ;)
He could but nobody seems to know who performed the baptism or when he was baptized. I have to say I was a bit put off about him getting baptized in the Thames. It’s filthy!

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟257,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
He could but nobody seems to know who performed the baptism or when he was baptized. I have to say I was a bit put off about him getting baptized in the Thames. It’s filthy!
That’s true.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟111,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That’s true.
Naaman initially refused to wash himself seven times in the Jordan because the rivers of Damascus were cleaner than the Jordan. However the washing of waters in the Jordan contained a promise "“Go, wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored and you will be cleansed.” (II KIng 5)

Naaman's servants convinced him because of the promises attached to this specific washing.... to wash himself in the dirty water of the Jordan and was cured of his leprosy.

Baptism is NOT just water as many here at CF believe. Baptism contains promises whether the water is clean or dirty, recipients are young or old, or male or female.

Via Crucis has a listing of these promises.

It does exactly what the Bible says it does.

Gives new birth (John 3:3-5, Titus 3:5)
Makes disciples (Matthew 28:19)
Results in remission of sin (Acts 2:38)
Cleanses us (Ephesians 5:26)
Unites us to Jesus Christ's death, burial, and resurrection (Romans 6:3-4)
Clothes us with Jesus Himself (Galatians 3:27)
Saves us (1 Peter 3:21)

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think so. He claims to have been baptized in the Thames. :eek:
In another article you posted in April, it said he was baptized as a Roman Catholic, so I dunno. Then I read something else that says he isn’t.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,769,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In another article you posted in April, it said he was baptized as a Roman Catholic, so I dunno. Then I read something else that says he isn’t.
I don’t recall anything about him being baptized Catholic. Are you referring to this article?

Here is the latest I read about the baptism:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don’t recall anything about him being baptized Catholic. Are you referring to this article?

Here is the latest I read about the baptism:
Ok, my mistake…you didn’t post it, I think it was found during a Google search.
Russell Brand just got baptized. But what does it mean?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟494,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I don’t think so. He claims to have been baptized in the Thames. :eek:

That sounds awful, I realize, but he doesn’t say where along the Thames he was baptized; it is not like the East River in New York which is basically entirely polluted; yes, in London, it is a bit gross, although not as anywhere near as bad as it used to be, but if one goes upriver, up towards Oxford, by the time one meets the place where the Thame separates from the portion of the Thames also known as the Isis, that passes through Oxford, it is much more pleasant, with much less in terms of shipping and contamination in the water.

But even in London, water quality in the Thames, especially upriver from the Fleet, which was buried underground in Victorian times for sanitary reasons, that forms part of the drainage system of the City of London Corporation (and atop which is Fleet Street), is much better than it used to be. Since the modern sewers were implemented, and the Docklands closed, so that London ceased to be a major port city, there is much less present to contaminate the water in the Thames.

At any rate, there are Anglicans who pray the Rosary, and in Orthodoxy there is the very similar Prayer Rule of St, Seraphim of Sarov, which also consists of saying the Hail Mary in sequence (but it lacks the decades of the Rosary).

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,769,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That sounds awful, I realize, but he doesn’t say where along the Thames he was baptized; it is not like the East River in New York which is basically entirely polluted; yes, in London, it is a bit gross, although not as anywhere near as bad as it used to be, but if one goes upriver, up towards Oxford, by the time one meets the place where the Thame separates from the portion of the Thames also known as the Isis, that passes through Oxford, it is much more pleasant, with much less in terms of shipping and contamination in the water.

But even in London, water quality in the Thames, especially upriver from the Fleet, which was buried underground in Victorian times for sanitary reasons, that forms part of the drainage system of the City of London Corporation (and atop which is Fleet Street), is much better than it used to be. Since the modern sewers were implemented, and the Docklands closed, so that London ceased to be a major port city, there is much less present to contaminate the water in the Thames.

At any rate, there are Anglicans who pray the Rosary, and in Orthodoxy there is the very similar Prayer Rule of St, Seraphim of Sarov, which also consists of saying the Hail Mary in sequence (but it lacks the decades of the Rosary).
I know the Thames has a long history of pretty much being a dump. I know it is not as bad as it used to be but still not a place I’d choose to be baptized.

Brand added that he intends to get baptized in the heavily polluted River Thames, joking that he might be also getting baptized in toxoplasmosis and E. coli.

Upvote 0