Have You Received the Holy Ghost Since You Believed?

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟291,844.00
Faith
Christian
I've experienced powerful sensations of what the Buddhists would call "enlightenment" - where I have an awesome sense of clarity and well being, but never have I spoken in tongues or had any kind of outer body experience.

I think Christian make their own rules sometimes, when I believe that God is a very abstract being.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟328,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The witness to me of the Holy Spirit is my changed life which began immediately and continues now 40 years later. Included has been periodic signs, visions, dreams that fulfill in life. But those aren't the real signs of the Spirit, it's changes in my life that you just don't make in the flesh and stick to. You have to have a spirit life. I can look back over the 40 years and see He was always with me through it all. The proof is in living it.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟402,394.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Have you? As the Apostles did at Pentecost?

I got the manifestation of Shaking for hours..... vibrating........ (1990 or 1991)...
It really did take my whole life up to another level but I have never spoken in tongues or had many of the other manifestations.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟843,983.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Every person who receives Christ as Saviour receives the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit who comes into the person, makes their spirit alive and gives them a new heart. Being filled with the Spirit is not having sensory and bodily manifestations. It is being controlled by the Spirit. That what Paul was saying when he said that seeing that we live in the Spirit (being converted to Christ), we need to walk in the Spirit (that is walking under His leading and control). When we manifest the gifts of the Spirit, we are allowing the Holy Spirit to flow out of us in ministry to others.

Therefore, if a person does not have the Holy Spirit, it means that he is not actually converted to Christ, although he may profess to have the Christian religion.

Sensory or bodily manifestations such as shaking, jerking, falling over are unreliable indications of being filled with the Spirit, because nine of every ten of these comes from the world, flesh or the devil. But having a love for Christ, the Word of God, and the strong desire to be obedient to the commands of Christ, and a willingness to be led by the Spirit away from the works of the flesh (Galatians 5) and have his conduct moderated by the fruit of the Spirit, are definite indication of having the indwelling Spirit and being filled with Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,582.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes. As at Pentecost. The memory of the event has kept me going through many hard times. I have doubted many things but never the power of the Holy Spirit or the love of God. :amen:

Reactions: NBB
Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
acts 2v38... Repent (baby's cant !!) be baptised ( Greek word means dip immerse etc, symbol of burial of your old life ) and ask GOD (only ) for the Holy spirit (ask and keep on asking ).. and as in acts 2v4 receive Holy Ghost with the bible evidence of speaking in tongues, no other way..

Joh 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

Mr 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;etc

commandment !!!!

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟843,983.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If when the Scripture mentions "praying in the Spirit" it means praying in tongues, ie: Paul says in 1 Corinthians 14:15, "I pray with the Spirit (tongues) and I pray with the understanding (his natural language), then if a person never prays in tongues, all he can do is pray with his natural understanding, and never prays in the Spirit, so that he is never sure whether he is praying in the will of God.

Jude 1:20 says, "Building ourselves up in our most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit". If a person prays just with the understanding, he might not be building himself up as effectively as he would if he prayed in tongues.

Look at Ephesians 6:18: "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.' So, praying in tongues is part of the armour of God!

1 Corinthians 14:14
For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.

1 Corinthians 14:2
For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

Philippians 1:19
For I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance,

Zephaniah 3:9: "For then I will restore to the peoples a pure language, That they all may call on the name of the LORD, To serve Him with one accord."

• Informative
Reactions: Siddhi Koli
Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
No tongues of fire resting on my head, nor any mighty rushing wind sadly. I must be missing something.
you are not. That was for the apostles, and Pentacost was a one time event for a specific purpose. The context is obvious that's why no legitimate conservative biblical/NT scholars believe in the 2nd baptism of fire of the HS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
you are not. That was for the apostles, and Pentacost was a one time event for a specific purpose. The context is obvious that's why no legitimate conservative biblical/NT scholars believe in the 2nd baptism of fire of the HS.
Two logical fallacies in one sentence, nice!

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No tongues of fire resting on my head, nor any mighty rushing wind sadly. I must be missing something.
That didn't happen at any other time that people in Acts spoke in tongues. The apostle Paul didn't mention (1 Cor. chapts 12-14) fire on their heads or rushing wind to those in Corinth as a demonstration of the Spirit for believers to experience.

Acts does not say that fire rested on their heads, it says "Suddenly a sound like a mighty rushing wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. And there appeared to them tongues as of fire distributing themselves, and they rested on each one of them."

Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My understanding is that Acts 2 had to do with the initial indwelling of the Holy Spirit for all believers and it was accompanied by some with ministry gift of speaking in other languages and dialects that the unbelieving Jews from various places who had come in for Pentecost could understand. It is the holy spirit who gives gifts severally as he wills not as we will ourselves to obtain for the ministry.

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
acts 2v38... Repent (baby's cant !!) be baptised ( Greek word means dip immerse etc, symbol of burial of your old life ) and ask GOD (only ) for the Holy spirit (ask and keep on asking ).. and as in acts 2v4 receive Holy Ghost with the bible evidence of speaking in tongues, no other way..

Joh 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

Mr 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;etc

commandment !!!!

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

baptism is about becoming identified with someone or something.

Reactions: GaveMeJoy
Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The apostles received the INDWELLING Holy SPirit as recorded at John 20:22, and subsequently received the "enduement of POWER" (Jesus' words) at Acts 2:4.

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0