With the Democratic Party drop Joe Biden?

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Seattle area.
✟627,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, it isn’t. Fox news, for example, consistently crushes its competition. In prime time slots, it often has more viewers than CNN and MSNBC combined.
I said that because when it comes to major news media outlets that are conservative it's pretty much just Fox.

Talk radio, likewise, has been dominated by conservatives for over 30 years.

Libs win in print media because conservatives don’t read as much.

Then you haven’t been paying much attention. They might be past their peak now, but they were a big enough deal for a while that their Executive Chairman, Steve Bannon, became Trump’s chief strategist at the beginning of his term.
Outside of libs going on about Bannon and Breitbart, it's not something that's ever crossed my path as I recall. And you're right I didn't pay much attention because according to them everyone associated with Trump was fascist villain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Have they kept up with the "no really this time!" Trump’s going to jail threads?
Unlike the "Biden will be replaced" fantasists which would require a concerted effort by the big movers in the Democratic party (which hasn't been happening), Trump is actually in the middle of a criminal trial with prison as a possible sentence. Additionally, after having been found to have committed 10 acts of contempt of court, the judge has said that jail will be the consequence for a further violation. However, Trump seems to be controlling his contemptuous impulses and even if convict at this trial, as a first-time offender jail time is not a certainty.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Seattle area.
✟627,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unlike the "Biden will be replaced" fantasists which would require a concerted effort by the big movers in the Democratic party (which hasn't been happening), Trump is actually in the middle of a criminal trial with prison as a possible sentence. Additionally, after having been found to have committed 10 acts of contempt of court, the judge has said that jail will be the consequence for a further violation. However, Trump seems to be controlling his contemptuous impulses and even if convict at this trial, as a first-time offender jail time is not a certainty.
This jogged my memory and I remembered a lot of talk about Trump being replaced and or he didn't really plan on winning so he was going to resign etc. Then there was he was going to be impeached out of office, even before he assumed it. And of course Mueller was going to be his total downfall etc etc etc. So Trump has always been on the brink of either losing the presidency, or resigning, or going to jail.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Seattle area.
✟627,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually when Breitbart first came out it was pretty good. I was excited about. It was slightly rhino but always seemed to have good balance.

When Trump threw his hat into the presidential ring they were very never Trump. I'm talking hardcore never trumpism. Of course by then since all the liberal media went so far left and the readership of Breitbart right that Breitbart seemed to make a business decision to write more pro-Trump articles in response to a lot of negative feedback, which quickly became all pro Trump.

It was at that point I stopped reading them. Clearly, it's not news if the slant can be so easily changed.

They had promise but not for news I guess, just whatever opinions Breitbart thinks their readers want to hear.

It's always disappointing when you think you find something decent and it's not what you thought it could be.
I'm not sure I ever looked it up. I got the impression from the way the left talked about it, it was some kind of "alt-right" neo-nazi tabloid. But I figure that was probably because of Bannon's association with it because of his association with Trump.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I said that because when it comes to major news media outlets that are conservative it's pretty much just Fox.

That's mainly the fault of the conservative audience, though there are a couple of other historical factors in there, too.

The conservative largely audience doesn't want news. They want strident opinion and propaganda.

To illustrate that, here's a shot from the latest Media Bias Chart:

1716133828354.png

I'm not posting this to discredit any particular outlets or even to criticize them. I know folks use this chart for that purpose, but I don't, because what it really shows is, along the vertical axis, how much a given outlet leans on opinion versus factual reporting. Opinion, in itself, isn't necessarily a bad thing. Or, to be more specific, the top half sort of goes between Facts and Reasonable Opinion, while the bottom half goes between Reasonable Opinion to Nonsense.

(as an aside, I'm surprised to see the Jimmy Dore show on the left. I've never heard the podcast, but I have seen him live and he and his wife were both very Trumpy. I am not surprised at where he's positioned vertically.)

Notice how the left-leaning outlets are distributed vertically vs the right-leaning outlets. It's a little tough to see at this zoom level with all the icons, but there's a high concentration of left-leaning outlets near the top, which is where your traditional newspapers and nightly news shows sit, with lots of fact report along with some in depth analysis and some mostly-not-strident opinions. But on the right, there's a big hole there where the arrow is pointing. You have WSJ, Christianity Today, and a couple of Fox Sunday shows and that's kind of it aside from a few smaller ones like the Dispatch and CT. The right-leaning outlets, especially the more popular ones like Fox News, NY Post, and OAN, are distributed lower on the vertical axis, because they rely more on strident opinions than fact.

Fox News started out trying to be proper "news," but eventually realized that it was more profitable to be a right-wing propaganda machine. Likewise, a lot of those conservative outlets are much younger than the mainstream/left outlets and, as such, developed on platforms where outrage was more profitable. It's hard to start a new tv station or print newspaper and compete with NBC or NYT; heck, it's hard to do original reporting of any sort, but it's fairly cheap and easy to start a website or podcast and load it with opinion.

If the conservative audience wanted reasonable news reporting, you'd have conservative outlets providing it. There's more than enough money to get that done. Rupert Murdoch alone is worth over $19 billion. Trump has another several billion, as do a bunch of his buddies and donors. Robert Mercer, the former CEO of Breitbart, has close to a billion. Limbaugh was probably pushing a billion, too.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not sure I ever looked it up. I got the impression from the way the left talked about it, it was some kind of "alt-right" neo-nazi tabloid. But I figure that was probably because of Bannon's association with it because of his association with Trump.
"Neo-nazi" might be a bit excessive, but they are garbage. It's largely a bunch of inflammatory nonsense.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟712,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

They became alt-right at one point I would say, but that's not how it started...

Jimmy Dore show on the left

Ahh... He's one that's so far right he wraps back around to the left, or so far left he wraps back around to the right.

I can see why he would metric left even though he's a Trump supporter.

My son's a Trump supporter but wants nationalized healthcare... Lol... There's weird mixes between right and left sometimes. You just have to roll your eyes and move on.. politics is often just who do you agree with more, not who do you agree with.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟712,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fox News started out trying to be proper "news," but eventually realized that it was more profitable to be a right-wing propaganda machine.

Fox has more balance than any of these metrics show though.

They have The Five which is a good panel mix, they also have their business daytime shows that are good.

They actually have a lot of libertarians for commentary like Rubin. It's not just all right or all one particular view.

As a whole they might lean to the right, but it provides plenty of balance as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ahh... He's one that's so far right he wraps back around to the left, or so far left he wraps back around to the right.

I can see why he would metric left even though he's a Trump supporter.
No, he’s an old school California liberal who’s also pretty dumb and very contrarian. He strikes me as the sort of guy who saw a bunch of the problems on the left and abandoned them, but wasn’t smart enough to realize that everything was worse on the right.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟712,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, he’s an old school California liberal who’s also pretty dumb and very contrarian. He strikes me as the sort of guy who saw a bunch of the problems on the left and abandoned them, but wasn’t smart enough to realize that everything was worse on the right.

Well... While I don't care a lot for Dore (he cusses so I don't watch him much) let's not call him dumb for supporting Trump. It's quite unnecessary.

We can disagree with other's choice in political candidate without resorting to personal insult.

I am myself a right-winger.. :)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,259,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yeah, recently, I have realized that even Biden is not good for our country, especially after what he did on Easter 2024. Trump is just as bad, or even worse, by adding to the Bible, and what he did three years ago. I might cast my vote for a 3rd party also, but we will have to prevent another Jan 6, so I have no idea what to do. Once Joe and Trump get too old, in 2028 I will definitely try a 3rd party.
January 6th is mostly the malarial dream of the left that they saved democracy from the evil Trump. As a real even it is much less significant than the left wants it to be. There are tens of millions of people like me who have sworn oaths to protect the constitution of these United States that would counter any real insurrection by a president that overstayed his term, whether that is Trump or Biden or someone else.

The time for dumping the Democrats and the Republicans is NOW. Not in 2028. It really may be too late by then. We have precious little chance of ever doing it anyway. Both parties have given us awful candidates. The proper thing to do is to say a loud 'NO!' now and not pretend it's all OK if the second worst (in your opinion or my opinion) of the two is elected.

What happens if the Biden machine can't deliver enough phony ballots to win the election? I suspect we get riots. They will make the 2020 riots look like child's play. Does anybody think that wouldn't happen? OK, maybe a milktoast riot or two if Biden gets those ballots stuffed into the ballot boxes. And more polarization and more gridlock and meanwhile the Dollar ceases to be the world's reserve currency (that's almost guaranteed to happen) and we slide into hyper-inflation and depression and the game is all up because we are gridlocked into political inaction. We either move in a depolarizing direction now or we move to advance the polarization and have no way out of a crisis. Things won't get better automagically by 2028.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
January 6th is mostly the malarial dream of the left that they saved democracy from the evil Trump. As a real even it is much less significant than the left wants it to be. There are tens of millions of people like me who have sworn oaths to protect the constitution of these United States that would counter any real insurrection by a president that overstayed his term, whether that is Trump or Biden or someone else.
So we start with minimizing Trump's failed coup;
The time for dumping the Democrats and the Republicans is NOW. Not in 2028. It really may be too late by then. We have precious little chance of ever doing it anyway. Both parties have given us awful candidates. The proper thing to do is to say a loud 'NO!' now and not pretend it's all OK if the second worst (in your opinion or my opinion) of the two is elected.
Then we proceed to move to "both parties are awful";
What happens if the Biden machine can't deliver enough phony ballots to win the election? I suspect we get riots. They will make the 2020 riots look like child's play. Does anybody think that wouldn't happen? OK, maybe a milktoast riot or two if Biden gets those ballots stuffed into the ballot boxes. And more polarization and more gridlock and meanwhile the Dollar ceases to be the world's reserve currency (that's almost guaranteed to happen) and we slide into hyper-inflation and depression and the game is all up because we are gridlocked into political inaction. We either move in a depolarizing direction now or we move to advance the polarization and have no way out of a crisis. Things won't get better automagically by 2028.

and end with some ridiculous claims about "the Biden machine" and transition to fantasizing about disasters and chaos. Cool.

I invite anyone who finds these claims plausible to smugly vote third party and enjoy your disconnected self-satisfaction at your separation from the rest of us.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,259,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So we start with minimizing Trump's failed coup;
Yup.
Then we proceed to move to "both parties are awful";
They are in 2024. They were in 2020.
and end with some ridiculous claims about "the Biden machine" and transition to fantasizing about disasters and chaos. Cool.
Yet you know there is no 'Biden machine' and will be no chaos. Cool.
I invite anyone who finds these claims plausible to smugly vote third party and enjoy your disconnected self-satisfaction at your separation from the rest of us.
That's my plan. Not going into the hog trough for Biden or Trump. Have fun with it.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yup.

They are in 2024. They were in 2020.

Yet you know there is no 'Biden machine' and will be no chaos. Cool.
I don't know about any 'Biden machine' but there certainly wasn't any ballot stuffing, nor will there be.
That's my plan. Not going into the hog trough for Biden or Trump. Have fun with it.
Others who agree should join you.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Conservative media is dwarfed by liberal media. I never would have heard of "Breitbart" if I didn't see liberals, and only liberals, mentioning it so often.
Complaints that one’s own side is under represented in the larger world (news media) could either spur one to adopt a set of more centrist positions or further fuel complaints that their unpopular ideas are unpopular.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
All that was needed was for Pence to be pushed out of the way of performing his Constitutionally mandated duties by overseeing the certification of Joe Biden’s victory over Donald Trump.
If that had been accomplished then we would have been in an extra-constitutional situation and the election would have ultimately wound up in SCOTUS.

Upvote 0