What will you do when the grid goes down?

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟687,703.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think your first two thoughts are the most important. Pray and help others. To make things easier if it happened, would be to reduce dependency on the "grid". The more self sufficient you are the better off you will be.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟810,046.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our area was without electricity for almost a month after a disaster. We learned many things including reliable info was difficult to come by, when we were able to get ice, it didn't last long in the cheap coolers, and it takes a lot of water. Just one example to reduce the water needed for dishes, used heavy duty plates and the flimsy ones as well as plastic utensils. Cooked with gas and made one pot meals from non-refrigerated items such as canned chicken, pasta and vegetables.(manual can openers).

There are lists available on line. Try not to get overwhelmed. Encourage you to decide what is most important to you and get those things. Organization of the items is vital especially food products. Found helpful to write expiration dates on lids. At some point, you'll want to use the oldest purchases first.

Reactions: Mr. Bultitude
Upvote 0

Mr. Bultitude

Jun 6, 2022
Midwest
✟2,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Which grid are you referring to? Every system has a related grid. Food, power, education, healthcare, etc.

Preparation is personalized. How’s your food and water supply? Can you cook? Do you have basic survival skills? Do you have emergency items at home and a first aid kit?

How do you handle adversity? Few consider that. Are you cool under pressure or antsy?

Don’t neglect your health. Building your strength while things are calm will pay dividends down the road. If you’re not exercising this is a good time to start.
That's a good context to keep in mind, it not just being one system. I have a bunch of nutritional yeast for emergencies as I don't think it expires. I have a decent storage of water bottles but I don't think they would last very long. I can cook some simple stuff according to recipe and I make scrambled eggs every day, but that is about it currently. I don't think I have basic survival skills other than maybe the class I took on CPR. I have several powerful flashlights and an actual first aid kit but nothing else I can think of.

I have struggled with anxiety for a long time which is part of what got me into learning about exercise and nutrition. I think I handle adversity very poorly currently but I truly believe I can improve by continuing to stay consistent with how I eat and when I lift. Thank you for all of the specific advice and questions, I found it to be very helpful.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,787,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I hope the first thing that I do is pray. Then I hope to help those around me. What can I do now to start preparing for this? I'm willing to learn.
I found that getting information and then starting to prepare eased my anxiety about losing the grid. It always depends on the situation you are in.

First, I would gather that information in a notebook. When electricity is down, you don't want to waste power on the computer.

Second, I would look into a back up generator of some type. Check into how long they last so that you can judge when you need to turn it off to save power.

Third, look into some food storage options. Start storing can goods, for instance. Learn how to store rice and beans.

Fourth, have fun. Learn how to grow food from seeds or scraps. Gardening is relaxing.

Five, develop and practice various outdoor cooking methods. There are videos like this one that are relaxing to watch and learn from:

or make a solar oven.

Trying various methods is fun.

Take what you learn with a grain of salt when reading websites.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟902,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hope the first thing that I do is pray. Then I hope to help those around me. What can I do now to start preparing for this? I'm willing to learn.

Stock up on canned foods and non perishable foods like rice and beans. Get a gas camping stove and a barbecue pit. And stock up on water. A solar powered power bank for charging phones is also a good idea. Machete or hatchet for cutting wood that might be needed to cook in the barbecue pit. Fishing supplies are another good idea.

Upvote 0

Mr. Bultitude

Jun 6, 2022
Midwest
✟2,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Stock up on canned foods and non perishable foods like rice and beans. Get a gas camping stove and a barbecue pit. And stock up on water. A solar powered power bank for charging phones is also a good idea. Machete or hatchet for cutting wood that might be needed to cook in the barbecue pit. Fishing supplies are another good idea.
This is some good actionable advice. Thank you.

Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟902,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is some good actionable advice. Thank you.

I acquired all this stuff back when covid hit 1 million infected in the US. Wasn’t sure how bad things might get so I wanted to be ready to get out of the city just in case things did get bad.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For cooking, we bought a solar oven. Works well on sunny days. Temp gets up to 320 or so. We have cooked beans, meat, and veggies. We have not tried baking, but it should work ok for that also.

• Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you don't mind, what type and brand did you select?
Solavore Sport Solar Oven
We bought this years ago. I do not think it is still offered.
Many people just make their own. I like this oven because it is enclosed. The interior of the oven heats up like an actual oven. Many of the home made ovens function by only heating the surface of a black pot or pan. This oven actually heats the pan and the air surrounding it.
SolavoreSport-700.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems this was a very popular solar oven at one time.

Do you have any particular pots, dishes that you recommend beginning this learning process?
We have cooked a number of things. I find the best use is to cook beans and vegetables. We have not tried to bake with it, but some say it works. You can cook meat, but don't expect to get a brown on the meat, the temp just does not get high enough. The manufacturer says not to let it get over 350 because it will damage the plastic parts. It does soup well.

Upvote 0

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟19,836.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As a believer, I've thought long and hard about this.
My initial concerns regarding potential endtimes are solely based on the idea of developing a kind of biosphere and protecting it, I can wholly ignore humanity as long as I can retain the Lord's images in bio-diversity in some kind of self-contained and well balanced environment. Temperature is key.
Be this an Apiary, or a series of carefully selected pollenating flower system that can rotate dynamically and organically between all seasons/artificial seasons alongside our underground salmon farm. With natural mineral water and life giving proteins.
We've also semi-harnessed a type of cave-lichen to allow a kind of partial nightvision over time, although due to its alkalinical nature it can cause small stomach ailments if unprepared. This can be settled with some warm water and nettle tea.

Genesis 1:26 ESV / 21 helpful votes
Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Ecclesiastes 1:7 ESV / 2 helpful votes
All streams run to the sea, but the sea is not full; to the place where the streams flow, there they flow again.

True preparation comes from the observation of micro-ecologies. And the studies of the words.

Upvote 0