✟90,854.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is oneness in this Body, 1 Corinthians 12:

12 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.
27 Now you are Christ’s body, and individually members of it.
What is the Body of Christ in 1 Corinthians 12?

This Body of Christ is a spiritual reality. We are born of the Paraclete. Jesus sent the Paraclete to dwell in us. Every believer with the Paraclete is a member of this Body of Christ, which is not a fleshly reality but a spiritual one. It is not the visible physical church. The Body of Christ is the true church existing in the spiritual realm.

Christ is the head of this church, Colossians 1:

18a He is the head of the body, the church.
The invisible Body of Christ is expressed visibly as the church. Every believer who has the Paraclete dwelling in him is a member of this spiritual church.

Ephesians 1:

22 And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.
Metaphorically, we play different parts in the body of Christ. Some are eyes, ears, nose, hands, feet, etc. (1 Corinthians 12:12-20).

No single institutionalized earthly visible church/denomination is the true church. Everyone born of the Spirit is connected to the organic Body of Christ as a spiritual reality in oneness. The Body of Christ is the true church as a spiritual organism.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is oneness in this Body, 1 Corinthians 12:

What is the Body of Christ in 1 Corinthians 12?

This Body of Christ is a spiritual reality. We are born of the Paraclete. Jesus sent the Paraclete to dwell in us. Every believer with the Paraclete is a member of this Body of Christ, which is not a fleshly reality but a spiritual one. It is not the visible physical church. The Body of Christ is the true church existing in the spiritual realm.

Christ is the head of this church, Colossians 1:

The invisible Body of Christ is expressed visibly as the church. Every believer who has the Paraclete dwelling in him is a member of this spiritual church.

Ephesians 1:

Metaphorically, we play different parts in the body of Christ. Some are eyes, ears, nose, hands, feet, etc. (1 Corinthians 12:12-20).

No single institutionalized earthly visible church/denomination is the true church. Everyone born of the Spirit is connected to the organic Body of Christ as a spiritual reality in oneness. The Body of Christ is the true church as a spiritual organism.
Can I give a Catholic perspective? The Catholic Church's belief in the Body of Christ as the one true Church is based on both biblical teachings and theological reasoning. I will provide you, Mr. Chan, with several biblical verses and Catholic theological principles to support this claim.

Alright, here it goes.

First, let's consider some biblical verses (all in ESV):

1. Matthew 16:18-19: "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

In this passage, Jesus gives the keys of the kingdom to Peter, signifying that he will be the leader of His Church. This passage is understood by Catholics as a foundation for the papacy and the idea of an authoritative, visible Church on earth.

2. Ephesians 4:1-6: "I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all."

This passage emphasizes the unity of the Church as the body of Christ, with one Spirit, one faith, and one baptism. This unity is essential to maintaining the bond of peace among believers.

3. Colossians 1:18: "And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent."

Here, Paul refers to Christ as the head of the Church, emphasizing His role as the source and foundation of the Church.

Catholic theological reasoning:

1. The apostolic succession: Catholics believe in the continuity of the Church from its founding through an unbroken line of bishops, known as apostolic succession. This belief is based on the idea that Christ gave His apostles the power to teach and govern the Church (Matthew 28:19-20), and this authority was passed down through the laying on of hands by bishops.

2. The role of the Magisterium: Catholics believe that the Church, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, has the authority to teach infallibly on matters of faith and morals. This teaching office, known as the Magisterium, is exercised by the Pope and the bishops in union with him. This belief is grounded in Matthew 16:18-19, where Jesus gives Peter (and thus his successors) the keys to the kingdom.

3. The Eucharist as the source and summit of Church life: Catholics believe that the Eucharist is the source and summit of their faith and practice. This belief is based on Jesus' words at the Last Supper, where He institutes the sacrament of the Eucharist (Matthew 26:26-29). Catholics see the Church as the visible expression of Christ's presence in the world, and the Eucharist as the sacrament that unites them most intimately to Him.

In conclusion, Catholics believe that the Body of Christ is the one true Church because of biblical teachings, such as Jesus' establishment of Peter as the rock upon which He would build His Church (Matthew 16:18), and the unity of the body of Christ (Ephesians 4:1-6). Additionally, Catholic theological reasoning, such as apostolic succession and the role of the Magisterium, further support this belief.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟159,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 16

So many have become accustomed to the lie propagated concerning this scripture.

Peter is dead. Period.
The church did not begin with him. It is not his church,
It is the 'Church of Christ.' we all have the keys to the kingdom. That key is faith in God through Christ who said, "No one gets in, but through ME.

When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Said simply, Good on you Peter, God told you. On this foundational truth I will build my Church.
Every believer can forgive sin.
Jesus gives authority to the church to pronounce forgiveness of sins or to withhold in the case of unrepentance. To bind on earth is to make official to people the judgments of heaven as discerned by the gathered church. WE ARE THE CHURCH.
In Christ

Upvote 0