Systemic racism in the USA: Are whites "guiltier" if they had slavery in their past?

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If you have proof to support either one of these theories then wouldn’t it have just been easier to present it and prove me wrong?
Your claim was that there was no evidence for CRT. I wondered how you came to that conclusion. I'm not interested in proving anything for you. I was just asking a question.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟747,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Where’s that quote from the article? I’m white, I was never given the option of probation for first time offenses. In fact the first time I was ever arrested for possession of marijuana, which I had about $15 worth on me when I got arrested. When the judge arraigned me to set my bail the first words out of his mouth were “it’s a good thing your parents are dead”. I was confused because my parents weren’t dead so I didn’t say anything. Then he said “your parents are dead right?” I said no sir. Then he said “I bet it would kill them to know what you’re doing now”. I said yes sir. Then he gave me the maximum bail and said to me “I hope you catch aids and die”. Now this wasn’t in a courtroom, this was in a holding cell with two guards present. I was confused I didn’t know what this guy’s problem was so I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to give him any reason to make my stay any worse. I had been arrested one time previously for trespassing on school property when I was 17 years old. This was about 4 years before this incident. When I got the trespassing charge I was literally 10 feet from the street getting into a friend’s car so he could give me a ride to work. Like I wasn’t roaming around the campus I was 10 feet from the street, I had just got into my friend’s car like 10 seconds before the police rolled up behind us, pulled me out of the car and arrested me for trespassing. So this type of thing doesn’t only happen to blacks.
Ok? What does that have to do with national statistics? I think that is where you are confused. Because you were treated disrespectfully and had the book thrown at you, you may think it is not possible that others have had a different experience. I understand because personal experience IS valid as it relates to forming an opinion of what others may have experienced. I'm sure that many have. The thing with statistical data is they examine more than one person's personal experience. They expand the data to national or state statistics to see what is happening in the big picture. I think the other mistake that people make is it's all or nothing if it can't be proven that every single person of a certain demographic has been treated one one way there is NO proof. One must take a look at the wider picture and data mine all statistics available in order to see what the average is and what trends are apparent. Example, because you may not let race be a factor in your decision-making, it doesn't mean that others don't. At this stage in history, it is often a subtle prejudice based on a stereotype they believe to be true in their subconscious, it still affects their desition making often without even knowing it. That is what drives the system more than overt vengeful racism.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟902,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok? What does that have to do with national statistics? I think that is where you are confused. Because you were treated disrespectfully and had the book thrown at you, you may think it is not possible that others have had a different experience. I understand because personal experience IS valid as it relates to forming an opinion of what others may have experienced. I'm sure that many have. The thing with statistical data is they examine more than one person's personal experience. They expand the data to national or state statistics to see what is happening in the big picture. I think the other mistake that people make is it's all or nothing if it can't be proven that every single person of a certain demographic has been treated one one way there is NO proof. One must take a look at the wider picture and data mine all statistics available in order to see what the average is and what trends are apparent. Example, because you may not let race be a factor in your decision-making, it doesn't mean that others don't. At this stage in history, it is often a subtle prejudice based on a stereotype they believe to be true in their subconscious, it still affects their desition making often without even knowing it. That is what drives the system more than overt vengeful racism.
Ok this is exactly what I’ve been getting at. You just made this statement based on the articles you quoted…

Yes, and blacks in the same situation as whites for example a first offender will get more jail time, less opportunity for probation and elevated charges.
And when I ask for a quote from the articles that supports this statement you can’t quote it, because it’s not provided in the article because it came from your imagination. I read the articles that’s why I asked for the quote because I noticed that it doesn’t actually give any examples of specific cases.

Let me ask you this, why can’t the reason for more blacks being in jail than other races simply be because more of them break the law more than other races? Why is this not a plausible cause?

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Ok this is exactly what I’ve been getting at. You just made this statement based on the articles you quoted…

And when I ask for a quote from the articles that supports this statement you can’t quote it, because it’s not provided in the article because it came from your imagination. I read the articles that’s why I asked for the quote because I noticed that it doesn’t actually give any examples of specific cases.

Let me ask you this, why can’t the reason for more blacks being in jail than other races simply be because more of them break the law more than other races? Why is this not a plausible cause?
Of course it's plausible, That's why it has to be studied and factored out. What laws have been broken? Are they as rigorously enforced in white neighborhoods as in black? All those kinds of things have to be considered and taken into account.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟747,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I’m white, I was never given the option of probation for first time offenses. In fact the first time I was ever arrested for possession of marijuana, which I had about $15 worth on me when I got arrested. When the judge arraigned me to set my bail the first words out of his mouth were “it’s a good thing your parents are dead”.

At times, these systems and structures, which are rooted in beliefs in White supremacy, operate unconsciously or unintentionally, but nevertheless effectively, to produce and sustain racial discrimination."

That is such bunk. And they produce no evidence for thier statement.

The national medicine article dies the sane thing. Brings in things from the past that are non existent today.

1. Blacks are just as free to live anywhere they want to.
2. They are free to shop anywhere they want to.
3. They are free to pursue any job they want to.
4. They are free to pursue a college education just like anyone else. In fact they have thier own black college if they want to attend it.

I tore down your lefal statistics because they are most often used to try and prove the point. And I showed you why they don't.
Actually they do and it's your worldview that won't accept it.
1. Sentencing for crimes is individually based and contains many factors.
Right, and the study looked at people of different colors being tried for the same crimes with similar backgrounds. Blacks receive harsher treatment across the board. that was one of the main points. That when people are tried for the same crime, with the same background. Blacks are treated more harshly across the board.
2. Each individual judge takes many things into account before sentencing and each individual judge has the freedom to sentence within the parameters of the law.
And they choose (on average, not all judges) to lay out harsher sentences to blacks even if it is within the parameters of the law. That;s why it;s difficult to win a case for discrimination. Judges are allowed to discriminate as long as they stay within sentencing guidelines.
3. The system cannot be racist, but an individual judge might be
Wrong, the system was built with mostly racist judges on the bench. You still seem to be confused about what a system is. You get enough indifferent judges and the system remains intact.
I guess the statistics you show must mean the judges are a bunch of racists. Is that what you are saying?
Not exactly, There don't have to be racist to be prejudiced. It's judges, police, prosecutors, public defenders, and the state's department of corrections that hold the pieces that build the big picture. We also have to stop saying that racism and prejudice is the same thing. As the article said, many are prejudiced and aren't aware of it because it is in their subconscious.

Mot people, black or white are more likely to trust someone that looks like them. It's universal and comes from the days when we formed tribes and clans. It's not evil and it doesn't mean they wish to harm people that don't look like them. However, they are more likely to give someone like them the benefit of the doubt. Seeing as there is castly a higher number of white police captains, prosecutors and judges, this is illustrated in a predudical justice system.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟747,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That's the article I posted so that's the article I quoted.
And when I ask for a quote from the articles that supports this statement you can’t quote it, because it’s not provided in the article because it came from your imagination. I
I can and I have, multiple times but you disregard it so fast that you don't even remember reading them.
It's very plausible, I don't think I said it wasn't Although paramilitary policing of black communities could be a factor along with every city has a "black neighborhood" where they can just pluck people off the street. They may commit more crime, that's not the only thing at issue. It;s the treatment of people when they are caught. Whites are more likely to get a warning only, and like I said, black receive harsher penalties for the same crime committed by people in the same situation.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
1. Blacks are just as free to live anywhere they want to.
2. They are free to shop anywhere they want to.
3. They are free to pursue any job they want to.
4. They are free to pursue a college education just like anyone else. In fact they have thier own black college if they want to attend it.

Give me a job blacks are not allowed to do. Give me a medical treatment blacks are not allowed to receive.
Yes, indeed. We abolished slavery, ended Jim Crow, outlawed discrimination, all so that black people are free to live like white people. It's not our fault that they don't want to. And they're not even grateful.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟343,328.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Actually they do and it's your worldview that won't accept it.
Sorry they don't.
Right, and the study looked at people of different colors being tried for the same crimes with similar backgrounds. Blacks receive harsher treatment across the board. that was one of the main points. That when people are tried for the same crime, with the same background. Blacks are treated more harshly across the board.
That what they say. But then they provided no proof of that.

But let's just say thats true. All that proves is we ha e a slew of racist judges. Why don't these groups go after them? Every one of these judges should be removed from.office.
And they choose (on average, not all judges) to lay out harsher sentences to blacks even if it is within the parameters of the law. That;s why it;s difficult to win a case for discrimination. Judges are allowed to discriminate as long as they stay within sentencing guidelines.
Then why aren't these groups going g after these judges? I mean if the evidence is so overwhelming to prove that they are racist it shouldn't be that hard should it? I.mean it convinced you pretty easily.
Wrong, the system was built with mostly racist judges on the bench. You still seem to be confused about what a system is. You get enough indifferent judges and the system remains intact.
Why don't you prove that. It should be easy enough. Find a judge where it can be proven he's racist by rhe sentences he hands out. They should be able to remove him from the bench.
We also have to stop saying that racism and prejudice is the same thing. As the article said, many are prejudiced and aren't aware of it because it is in their subconscious.
Rhats ridiculous. You can't prove anything is in someone's subconscious. If they don't know it there, there is no way for you to either.
Mot people, black or white are more likely to trust someone that looks like them. It's universal and comes from the days when we formed tribes and clans. It's not evil and it doesn't mean they wish to harm people that don't look like them. However, they are more likely to give someone like them the benefit of the doubt. Seeing as there is castly a higher number of white police captains, prosecutors and judges, this is illustrated in a predudical justice system.
Yes we are a tribal group. But you are talking overt racism. For a judge to continuously hand out harsher sentences for blacks it's an overt racism.

If race is rhe reason rhat racism not mere prejudice as you define it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟747,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Sorry they don't.
According to your personal worldview (which isn't backed up by any evidence I must add). Just your personal opinion. No statistics to counter just you and your brain.
That what they say. But then they provided no proof of that.
You already know I have and they have provided pages and pages of evidence. It's just your worldview can't accept it
But let's just say thats true. All that proves is we ha e a slew of racist judges. Why don't these groups go after them? Every one of these judges should be removed from.office
It will never happen and it's not a slew of judges, it's the entire justice "system."
Then why aren't these groups going g after these judges? I mean if the evidence is so overwhelming to prove that they are racist it shouldn't be that hard should it? I.mean it convinced you pretty easily.
THere are and they do get settlements. The problem is that it's hard to prove racism especially with people like you on the jury who's worldview won't allow for racism to be a real thing. That's what makes it difficult to prosecute. You won't believe it so why would a lily white judge feel any different when his profession is under scrutiny? Judges will always protect other judges because if we find a flaw in one we can find a flaw in another so they need to cut it off at the knees.
Why don't you prove that.
I have but like I said, you just ignore any proof that doesn't agree with your worldview. Do you really need me to post more national statistics on how backs get the short end of the stick in every level of the justice system? You wouldn't believe anything I posted anyway because whether the statistics come from the government, a top university, or an activist group, you just dismiss it. why? Again, because it doesn't line up with your personal opinion. That is not objectively looking at facts that is dismissing facts to suit your personal opinion. It's wasted on you.
Rhats ridiculous. You can't prove anything is in someone's subconscious. If they don't know it there, there is no way for you to either.
Maybe I'm mistaken and it's not so begnine an issue and is based on overt racism. I am willing to say it's often unintentional but if you say it's usually intentional racism, I believe you.
Yes we are a tribal group. But you are talking overt racism. For a judge to continuously hand out harsher sentences for blacks it's an overt racism.

If race is rhe reason rhat racism not mere prejudice as you define it.
Again, I never said it was overt racism, I never said racism was the same as prejudice but if you believe most judges are overtly racist, I won't argue with you. I just wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟343,328.00
Faith
Pentecostal
No statistics to counter just you and your brain.
Yes because I have one. Your world view looks at the statistics and because you think there is systemic racism you believe what the race activists tell you wga5vtfe statistics are saying. It's calked confirmation bias.

My brain tells me the statistics don't tell the whole story and say what you think they say.
You already know I have and they have provided pages and pages of evidence. It's just your worldview can't accept it
You provided statistics and things that race activists had to say. Your worldview believes whatever they tell you. You even do it in your arguments. Instead of pointing fingers at anyone specific it's always, it's everywhere. It's in the cops, in the prisecutors office , it's in the judges chair. And n9t in any one specific it all in thier heads when they don't even know it!

It's in the system because it's in all the subconscious of individuals that are in the system. And they don't even know it. What nonsense.
THere are and they do get settlements. The problem is that it's hard to prove racism especially with people like you on the jury who's worldview won't allow for racism to be a real thing.
That's completely false. I do believe racism is a real thing. Individuals can be very racist. I've met some very racist people. It's just not in the system. The system us not built to be racist.
Judges will always protect other judges because if we find a flaw in one we can find a flaw in another so they need to cut it off at the knees.
Right, because all the judges are a bunch of racists. That's a worldview.
You wouldn't believe anything I posted anyway because whether the statistics come from the government, a top university, or an activist group, you just dismiss it. why?
Because the statistics don't tell the whole story. They never do. I believe the statistics, but I don't believe the conclusions race baiters draw from the statistics. Which is everyone in the justice system is racist.
Maybe I'm mistaken and it's not so begnine an issue and is based on overt racism. I am willing to say it's often unintentional but if you say it's usually intentional racism, I believe you.
See, I do believe racism exists. It's just not built into the system. Are there racists in the justice system. I'm sure there are. Just like there are racist doctors, electricians, salesmen, pilots, psychologists, janitors and teachers. So, if there is one in the justice system you should go after them instead of blaming the whole system as having racism as it's defining factor with a purposeful design to get black oe
Again, I never said it was overt racism, I never said racism was the same as prejudice but if you believe most judges are overtly racist, I won't argue with you. I just wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.
No you don't. You are calling them racists. You are just trying to be nice about it. It's you who actually believe most are racists, not me. Some probably are. Most? No that's your world view.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It's in the system because it's in all the subconscious of individuals that are in the system. And they don't even know it. What nonsense.

That's completely false. I do believe racism is a real thing. Individuals can be very racist. I've met some very racist people. It's just not in the system. The system us not built to be racist.
Do you believe it is impossible for people to build a system which acts in ways that have a disproportionate racial effect?

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟747,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yes because I have one. Your world view looks at the statistics and because you think there is systemic racism you believe what the race activists tell you wga5vtfe statistics are saying. It's calked confirmation bias.

My brain tells me the statistics don't tell the whole story and say what you think they say.
So when there is a racial disparity show in every statistic across the board from the justice system, employment, housing conditions, education, and just about everything els plus considering this countrie's history you see no pattern? That is because you trust your opinion more that facts that you don't like
You provided statistics and things that race activists had to say.
I didn't know the government was a race activist.
The system us not built to be racist.
What was it built on racial equality and the elimination of class? You did take American history in school I assume. How about geography? Do you know that inequality exists everywhere? It can be based on race, language, class, economics. The inequality in this country is based on race and class as I am sure you have noticed, poor whites don't have it much better than blacks. Their saving grace is that they are white so the will be given the benefit of the doubt more often.
Right, because all the judges are a bunch of racists. That's a worldview.
I didn't say all judges are racist, what I said was most people have prejudices and many aren't even aware of them.
Because the statistics don't tell the whole story
What DO they tell.....perhaps what is happening? It's not just taking one statistic and developing a theory based on that one statistic but when you look at a wide range of statistics, a picture is painted. What would you trust more than a wide variety of statistical data? Perhaps a survey? That can paint a picture but is also not as accurate because people can always say what they think the survyer wants to hear. Statisitcs are raw data and one group of statistical data is not enough to paint an accurate picture of a trend but statistics collected from all areas of life showing the same trend does begin to paint a picture.

Here's one statistic from the National Bureau of Economic Research. Here is how they figured out that just having a white-sounding or black-sounding name has a huge impact on the rate of callbacks. 50% less callbacks for black resumes that had more experience and/or education on their resume
"The 50 percent gap in callback rates is statistically very significant, Bertrand and Mullainathan note in Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination (NBER Working Paper No. 9873). It indicates that a white name yields as many more callbacks as an additional eight years of experience. Race, the authors add, also affects the reward to having a better resume. Whites with higher quality resumes received 30 percent more callbacks than whites with lower quality resumes. But the positive impact of a better resume for those with Africa-American names was much smaller."

Do you see how studying statistics can paint a picture of a situation? These people deliberately send out 5,000 resumes in answer to ads in Chicago and Boston. Can you explain why this is happening?
See, I do believe racism exists. It's just not built into the system
Slavery and Jim Crow were built into not only the legal system but into the fabric of our nation. You don't change a law and simultaneously change the culture of an entire nation.
Most? No that's your world view.
Most people (like I said black and white) have some kind of prejudice and many don't know it's there.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
all so that black people are free to live like white people.
Blacks and Hispanic do not want to be white. Well maybe Michel Jackson but that is another story. I am very glad that Blacks hate racism and are diligent NOT to be racist themselves.

Reactions: BCP1928
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟747,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Blacks and Hispanic do not want to be white. Well maybe Michel Jackson but that is another story. I am very glad that Blacks hate racism and are diligent NOT to be racist themselves.
I'm glad you brought that up because the "melting pot" is basically do your best to become a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. That's why Italians had a hard time when they came here and the Irish had a hard time, not to mention Jews and Arabs. When you are a WASP or want to be a WASP you have finally melted in the pot. Nowadays people keep the culture they came with which fundamentally make us more of a tossed salad. Different colors and flavors all coming together to make a healthy delicious salad.

Reactions: BCP1928
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟343,328.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Do you believe it is impossible for people to build a system which acts in ways that have a disproportionate racial effect?

Of course, but it would have to be on purpose for that purpose. If its not meant to be racial, then it's racism. If it just happens to affect a certain race because of THEIR actions then it's not racist at all. For example, a law against robbery. If a certain race commits more robberies than anyone else it's not racism or systemic. If a judge gives harsher sentences to blacks then he's racist. But the system was not created for that.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
do your best to become a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant.
White people do not want to be white. I have a Filipino wife and they think she is the perfect skin color. NOT to dark and not to light. At least that is the story she tells about the nurses at work.

Upvote 0