REORGANIZED: The Protestant Forum is now divided into Major Denominational Forums

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
The previously named Protestant/ Reformed/ Evangelical forum, or P/R/E as it was known, has now been subdivided into new forums representing the major Protestant and non-Catholic denominations.

They are as follows:

Non-denominational
The forum for non-denominational Christians
(This used to be the old P/R/E forum - I've renamed it to non-denominational)

Charismatic/ Pentecostal
The forum for Pentecostal, Assembly of God and Charismatic denominations.
(This used to be the old Charismatic Movement forum - I've renamed it)

Baptist/ Anabaptist
The forum for Baptist, Mennonite, Quaker and other similar denominations.

Wesleyan
The forum for Methodist, Nazarene and similar denominations.

Reformed
The forum for Calvinist, Presbyterian, Brethren and other similar denominations.

Lutheran
The forum for ELCA, LCMS, WELS, ELC, Moravian and other similar churches.

Anglican
The forum for Anglo-Catholic churches.

Hopefully, this reorganization of the Protestant forum will promote better discussion and fellowship amongst Christians from similar denominations and churches.

This reorganization was suggested in these threads:
http://www.christianforums.com/t112783
http://www.christianforums.com/t125878

The names of these forums are NOT final - feel free to PM me new names for your new homes. :) Make a poll in the new forum and see what your fellow members want the new name of the forum to be.

II Paradox II

Oracle of the Obvious
Oct 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟860.00
Faith
Calvinist
Knight said:
Are Bretherens Reformed? I grew up in the Church of the Bretheren and I never heard any Calvinistic teachings.
Some are. I've been to a few that were pretty solidly calvinistic in their teaching. Overall, they tend to be less upfront about it, but it is certainly there in some congregations.

ken

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
II Paradox II said:
Some are. I've been to a few that were pretty solidly calvinistic in their teaching. Overall, they tend to be less upfront about it, but it is certainly there in some congregations.

ken
If you want a good clear answer to this read the life of A.W.Pink. (b.o.t.)

btw , what has happened to that question are catholics saved?

Where is the link for that.I can't find it!

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
II Paradox II said:

ken
If you want a good clear answer to this read the life of A.W.Pink. (b.o.t.)
(It may be printed online)

btw , what has happened to that question are catholics saved?

Where is the link for that.I can't find it!

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If Bretheren are Reformed then somebody had better tell my dad...... :)

I'd still like to see some kind of documentation that shows the denom as a whole is Reformed.

BTW, Bulldog.

AFAIK, Bretheren are derived from the Mennonites.

Upvote 0

Covenant Heart

Principled Iconoclast
Jul 26, 2003
At home
Visit site
✟2,172.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
This member feels remiss for being unaware that this change was coming. While having deep respect for their wonderful faith tradition, we fear that Brethern involvement will not work on this forum. This member offers that the Brethern tradition stands much closer to the Baptist/anabaptist forum and respectfully recommends that they be grafted into that part of the forum. This is not done out of any rancor for Brethern, but with a desire for what we believe will be best for all. In terms of polity (how they govern themselves), their theological perspective and also their history, the Brethern will not be "in step" on a reformed (far better than "Calvinist") forum.

This is true whether the subject of discussion is covenant (the Brethern of which this member is aware hold to multiple covenants whereas reformed generally confess covenantal unity into the eschaton), the nature of the church (one body in all ages) and the conditions of membership in it (Brethern is voluntary, reformed is not), the sacraments (including infant baptism) as means of grace, soteriology (the famed "five points"), kingdom (Brethern is strongly dispensational whereas reformed usually holds to the amillennial ending of the world), Christian spirituality (do we come apart from the world or seek to "reform" it).

While differing from Rome, anabaptists were equally at odds with the reformers. And however distasteful it may be, we must as a matter historical fact admit to our shame that more than a few anabaptists were persecuted sorely, driven from their communities and even slain by our Protestant forefathers. The Brethern might be seen as more or less as the spiritual descendents of the anabaptists. Make no mistake that this fact is not lost on some Brethern.

Blessings!

Covenant Heart

Upvote 0

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bulldog said:
But aren't Moravians Wesleyans? :scratch:
No, Moravians were Hussites that originated in Bohemia in the early 1400's. However they were almost persecuted into oblivian, yet they survive today and subscribe to the teachings of the Augsburg Confession, that is why they were placed where they were placed.

-James

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums