✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Northwest.

There are a number of theological issues which the baptist fellowships hold that are different than other fellowships.

1. Baptists don't believe in young child, toddler or baby baptisms.
2. Baptists generally practice the obedience of communion once a quarter, although some do practice it once a month.
3. Baptists also hold that the communion emblems are merely representative of the blood and body of Jesus.
4. Baptist fellowships are autonomous. There is no hierarchy of control from some group outside of the fellowship itself.
5. Baptist fellowships generally hold that the Scriptures are the only authority over the practices of the fellowship.

There are others and, of course, some other fellowships do hold to some of these beliefs and understandings.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟414,406.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm Lutheran, but I may be able to help out with this, if you don't mind.

First I would say that theology and practices across Christendom are very complex, even among what can be loosely defined as Evangelical or Protestant. What I think could be helpful to consider, though, are these two things:

1. Theological systems should be understood as frameworks.
That is, when I grew up (as a Charismatic/Pentecostal), I used to think of theology as a bag of rocks, where it's possible to add one rock and take another one out without really disrupting or changing anything substantial. But this is not a good understanding, for the different theological systems that the different church bodies hold to are more like frameworks or structures.

To put it simply, it can be helpful to understand each theological system as a house consisting of many inter-connecting parts that support the whole house. And we can't easily take a part out without compromising the structure, and we can't easily put that part into a different house, as there's no room for it, or it's not compatible.

2. To understand what the different churches believe and teach, we should understand what they claim as their authority.
Understanding what people hold to be their (supreme) authority in matters of beliefs is perhaps the best starting point to understand the differences between church bodies. Because out of our authority flows many different ideas.

Here's a list of the major church bodies and what they hold as their authority in doctrine:

Eastern Orthodox Church: The Bible and Holy Tradition (Fixed)
Oriental Orthodox Church: The Bible and Holy Tradition (Fixed)

Note — "Fixed" implies that what they consider as Holy Tradition is more or less limited or fixed to the ecclesiastical deliverances of the time from 325 to 787. In other words, tradition later than 787 is increasingly not considered as Holy Tradition.

Roman Catholic: The Church (Progressive)

Note — "Progressive" here doesn't imply what we often today understand as "liberal", but that in the Roman Catholic understanding, authority belongs to God's Word, the Pope, Councils, and Holy Tradition, which is, in short, the (Roman Catholic) Church. They differ with Eastern & Oriental Orthodox's understanding of Holy Tradition in that the Pope can decree new articles of faith — that is, he can formulate new teachings by making older ideas "official" or by making known new revelations from the Holy Spirit.

Lutheran Church: The Bible.
Anglican Church: The Bible, reason, and tradition. (Not quite the same as Holy Tradition)
Reformed Church: The Bible.

And then out of the Reformed and partly the Anglican Church, we have:

Baptist Church: The Bible.
Charismatic/Pentecostal Church: The Bible and revelation by the Holy Spirit.
Non-denominational churches: In broad strokes, the same as Charismatic/Pentecostal, though many are essentially Baptist.

Two more things worth bearing in mind:

Doctrinal minimalists: Many if not most non-denominational and Evangelical churches are doctrinally minimalist. This means that they make a deliberate effort to not make clear statements of faith in order to draw more people. We can find this trend in most western churches.

Theologically liberal bodies: Most church bodies have liberal wings, and they are theologically speaking very close. In fact, all the major liberal wings have formed a large network. So, for example, a liberal Anglican is closer in doctrine to a liberal Catholic, than a liberal Catholic is to an orthodox Catholic, even though they are both Catholic. What liberal church bodies claim as their authority is good to understand. They claim that the Bible is not God's Word, but that it contains God's Word, and that the Holy Spirit speaks through (western) culture.

I'd be glad to elaborate on any of this, but this is a very top-level picture of what we can broadly consider the Christian Church. But hopefully, this can be of some help. I just think instead of diving into a whole set of ideas, it can be useful to consider the underlying assertion or belief, and in this case, what we say is our authority in doctrine. Simply, how does God speak to us? Through the Bible? Through the Bible and the Pope? Through modern-day prophets? Through culture? Here, Baptists and Lutherans are united: We confess that God speaks to us by His Holy Spirit through the Scriptures alone.

Hope this helps! God bless!

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Northwest.
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟118,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Can someone explain the difference between a Baptist church and other Christian churches?

There is not one "Baptist church." Southern, American, Free Will, Fundamental, Anabaptist, Calvinist, and at least one more subgroup have some major differences their beliefs and practices. For example, women are ordained by American Baptist churches, but Southern Baptist churches only allow men to be ministers or deacons. Fundamental Baptist churches only accept the 1900 KJV as God's Word in English, even if the congregation has members who read other Bible translations at home (which they should). Free Will is an unusual group, not only ordaining women but also washing feet as one of their ordinances (which I do not like at all, personally). If not for the foot washing routine, I would be a FWB.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Northwest.

DELETED PROFILE
Mar 14, 2022
N/A
✟15,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @Northwest.

There are a number of theological issues which the baptist fellowships hold that are different than other fellowships.

1. Baptists don't believe in young child, toddler or baby baptisms.
2. Baptists generally practice the obedience of communion once a quarter, although some do practice it once a month.
3. Baptists also hold that the communion emblems are merely representative of the blood and body of Jesus.
4. Baptist fellowships are autonomous. There is no hierarchy of control from some group outside of the fellowship itself.
5. Baptist fellowships generally hold that the Scriptures are the only authority over the practices of the fellowship.

There are others and, of course, some other fellowships do hold to some of these beliefs and understandings.

God bless,
Ted

Thank you so much for your response!

Upvote 0

Northwest.

DELETED PROFILE
Mar 14, 2022
N/A
✟15,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm Lutheran, but I may be able to help out with this, if you don't mind.

First I would say that theology and practices across Christendom are very complex, even among what can be loosely defined as Evangelical or Protestant. What I think could be helpful to consider, though, are these two things:

1. Theological systems should be understood as frameworks.
That is, when I grew up (as a Charismatic/Pentecostal), I used to think of theology as a bag of rocks, where it's possible to add one rock and take another one out without really disrupting or changing anything substantial. But this is not a good understanding, for the different theological systems that the different church bodies hold to are more like frameworks or structures.

To put it simply, it can be helpful to understand each theological system as a house consisting of many inter-connecting parts that support the whole house. And we can't easily take a part out without compromising the structure, and we can't easily put that part into a different house, as there's no room for it, or it's not compatible.

2. To understand what the different churches believe and teach, we should understand what they claim as their authority.
Understanding what people hold to be their (supreme) authority in matters of beliefs is perhaps the best starting point to understand the differences between church bodies. Because out of our authority flows many different ideas.

Here's a list of the major church bodies and what they hold as their authority in doctrine:

Eastern Orthodox Church: The Bible and Holy Tradition (Fixed)
Oriental Orthodox Church: The Bible and Holy Tradition (Fixed)

Note — "Fixed" implies that what they consider as Holy Tradition is more or less limited or fixed to the ecclesiastical deliverances of the time from 325 to 787. In other words, tradition later than 787 is increasingly not considered as Holy Tradition.

Roman Catholic: The Church (Progressive)

Note — "Progressive" here doesn't imply what we often today understand as "liberal", but that in the Roman Catholic understanding, authority belongs to God's Word, the Pope, Councils, and Holy Tradition, which is, in short, the (Roman Catholic) Church. They differ with Eastern & Oriental Orthodox's understanding of Holy Tradition in that the Pope can decree new articles of faith — that is, he can formulate new teachings by making older ideas "official" or by making known new revelations from the Holy Spirit.

Lutheran Church: The Bible.
Anglican Church: The Bible, reason, and tradition. (Not quite the same as Holy Tradition)
Reformed Church: The Bible.

And then out of the Reformed and partly the Anglican Church, we have:

Baptist Church: The Bible.
Charismatic/Pentecostal Church: The Bible and revelation by the Holy Spirit.
Non-denominational churches: In broad strokes, the same as Charismatic/Pentecostal, though many are essentially Baptist.

Two more things worth bearing in mind:

Doctrinal minimalists: Many if not most non-denominational and Evangelical churches are doctrinally minimalist. This means that they make a deliberate effort to not make clear statements of faith in order to draw more people. We can find this trend in most western churches.

Theologically liberal bodies: Most church bodies have liberal wings, and they are theologically speaking very close. In fact, all the major liberal wings have formed a large network. So, for example, a liberal Anglican is closer in doctrine to a liberal Catholic, than a liberal Catholic is to an orthodox Catholic, even though they are both Catholic. What liberal church bodies claim as their authority is good to understand. They claim that the Bible is not God's Word, but that it contains God's Word, and that the Holy Spirit speaks through (western) culture.

I'd be glad to elaborate on any of this, but this is a very top-level picture of what we can broadly consider the Christian Church. But hopefully, this can be of some help. I just think instead of diving into a whole set of ideas, it can be useful to consider the underlying assertion or belief, and in this case, what we say is our authority in doctrine. Simply, how does God speak to us? Through the Bible? Through the Bible and the Pope? Through modern-day prophets? Through culture? Here, Baptists and Lutherans are united: We confess that God speaks to us by His Holy Spirit through the Scriptures alone.

Hope this helps! God bless!

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

Northwest.

DELETED PROFILE
Mar 14, 2022
N/A
✟15,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is not one "Baptist church." Southern, American, Free Will, Fundamental, Anabaptist, Calvinist, and at least one more subgroup have some major differences their beliefs and practices. For example, women are ordained by American Baptist churches, but Southern Baptist churches only allow men to be ministers or deacons. Fundamental Baptist churches only accept the 1900 KJV as God's Word in English, even if the congregation has members who read other Bible translations at home (which they should). Free Will is an unusual group, not only ordaining women but also washing feet as one of their ordinances (which I do not like at all, personally). If not for the foot washing routine, I would be a FWB.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can someone explain the difference between a Baptist church and other Christian churches?
The main difference, at least here in the UK, is that to become a member or take communion one must have been baptised by emersion.

Why are you asking?
Most churches now have an online presence and a statement of belief/faith, which one can check out.
If you are interested in attending any church, eith just turn up or contact the minister, they will be happy to advice you.

Upvote 0

Northwest.

DELETED PROFILE
Mar 14, 2022
N/A
✟15,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The main difference, at least here in the UK, is that to become a member or take communion one must have been baptised by emersion.

Why are you asking?
Most churches now have an online presence and a statement of belief/faith, which one can check out.
If you are interested in attending any church, eith just turn up or contact the minister, they will be happy to advice you.

I'm embarrassed to admit that, despite being born and raised in a Baptist church, I had no idea what the difference was between a Baptist church and other Christian churches because we all worship the same God. I was baptized, but I do not currently attend a church, but I still pray and worship.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
but I do not currently attend a church, but I still pray and worship.

Why?

we meet together, in person or over zoom and youtube so we may encourage others, as they encourage us.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Northwest.

DELETED PROFILE
Mar 14, 2022
N/A
✟15,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why?

we meet together, in person or over zoom and youtube so we may encourage others, as they encourage us.

I have a bit of social anxiety being around a large group of people. I do attend bible studies when I have the chance but I don't have a church I go to regularly.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a bit of social anxiety being around a large group of people. I do attend bible studies when I have the chance but I don't have a church I go to regularly.

I looked up social anxiety on our healh system here in the uk.
Social anxiety (social phobia)

In the self help section it suggested breaking down a situation into smaller tasks and evaluating ones fears.

Do you have a friend who you could go to church with and sit at the back with.

• Useful
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟219,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I attend Baptist services regularly. We view the history parts of the Bible as real history. We understand God to be unchanging, God’s commands are as relevant today as they were in Bible times. Society may change, but God’s word doesn’t. We are evangelical & believe being born again & repentance. We believe in regular Bible-study, prayer, & fellowship. We are very traditional.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,929.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The best way to learn about Baptists is to read the historic confessions. Modern Baptists have become minimalistic and deeply affected by postmodernism.

1600s
1700s
1800s
1900s
Statements of Faith by Convention/Association
Other Resources

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums