Question: Does the Catholic Church teach the possibility of achieving dispassion in this life?

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟328,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Passions are normal while the lack of control of passions is abnormal, an effect of the Fall. Jesus was passionate but His passions were pure, undefiled by the influence of an impure heart. Desires can be ordered or disordered/inordinate, a result of concupiscence. A healthy appetite for food, for example, is a self-controlled appetite while gluttony is the abuse of that normal appetite- where one becomes a slave to it instead. A completely sanctified or holy person would have complete, balanced control of desires and passions-and some have probably come close to this perfection in all things. But perfect sinlessness is not expected in this life even if that's the right and proper goal for Christians. The Catholic Church teaches:

1767 In themselves passions are neither good nor evil. They are morally qualified only to the extent that they effectively engage reason and will. Passions are said to be voluntary, "either because they are commanded by the will or because the will does not place obstacles in their way."44 It belongs to the perfection of the moral or human good that the passions be governed by reason.45

Last edited:
Reactions: Nagomirov
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟770,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I suppose there are a few saints who achieved what might be called "dispassion". Francis of Assisi comes to mind along with a handful of other saints. I think they would be few and far between.

If it comes to that I think dedicated Buddhist monks could lay claim to being "dispassionate".

But for most of us mortal Catholics, i think we might need a bit of time in Purgatory to make the grade.

Upvote 0