Georgia
✟930,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Do Seventh-day Baptists and Free Will Baptists agree on the subject of "free will" and does this mean they do not hold to a Calvinist view of OSAS?

==========

So far - no one claiming to "Be" free will Baptist, or Seventh-day Baptist has posted on this thread.... 2022 02 03 (Y,M,D)

Last edited:

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,929.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The deviation from Baptist roots does not prove the rule. Baptists were Calvinistic before Free Will-ism entered the fray, this is a historical fact. Just because you can point to a poorly instructed congregation with poor leadership does not mean that is the rule. Arminian Freewill "Baptists" used pouring and sprinkling as a means for baptism, it wasn't until the Particular Calvinistic Baptists stressed full immersion that it was accepted by the Freewill'ers. Freewill Baptists were closer to Congregationalists in their practice - hence, historically speaking, Particular Baptists were the first modern Baptists. The heir to historic Baptists in North America is the SBC which uses a Calvinistic statement of faith distilled from the London Baptist Confession of Faith (1644, 1677 & 1689).

Check the historic Baptist Confessions to verity what I am posting.

Please post the website for the "Baptist" diocese please I would like to read their statement of faith.

I've pointed to historic landmarks of the faith that can easily be found online while you use anecdotals which is nothing but personal opinion based on limited observation.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟814,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ADMIN HAT ON

Let's try this again. This thread has had a thorough cleaning.

Please note that this is the Baptist forum, only Baptists should be replying to the question with answers that are consistent with being a Baptist. Also note, that not all members of a Faith Group (Baptist in this case) use the Label that is consistent.

If you attend a Baptist Church and believe the same, you should use the Baptist faith label, or at least use "Christian" or "Protestant" as Non-Denominational has different connotations, then note below your avatar or in your signature that you attend a Baptist church. If you need to change your "Faith Label" please open a Ticket HERE.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do Seventh-day Baptists and Free Will Baptists agree on the subject of "free will" and does this mean they do not hold to a Calvinist view of OSAS?

==========

So far - no one claiming to "Be" free will Baptist, or Seventh-day Baptist has posted on this thread.... 2022 02 03 (Y,M,D)

I was a Southern Baptist for many years. However, I studied at a General Baptist seminary (identical doctrine to Free Will Baptists).
I cannot speak for the Seventh Day Baptists, as their statement of faith does not address the idea of "free will" or OSAS.
As for the Free Will Baptists, as well as the similar General Baptists, they hold to a soteriological position called "Reformed Arminianism" that rejects OSAS. With regards to loss of salvation, it takes quite a long period of apostasy post-salvation to lose salvation; but once lost, it can never be regained.

Last edited:
Upvote 0