Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I hate to ask this, but is it possible that American conservatives don't like Pope Francis because he doesn't agree enough with Republican things?
I don’t know. I personally support Pope Francis as the Pope and will continue to defend him, even if I don’t agree with everything he says.

I am Republican, but a VERY moderate Republican at that. I don’t like politics in general.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know. I personally support Pope Francis as the Pope and will continue to defend him, even if I don’t agree with everything he says.

I am Republican, but a VERY moderate Republican at that. I don’t like politics in general.
I feel the same way about Pope Francis. and if I HAD to categorize myself I’d say I was a Republican, but like I said before, I don’t vote R or D. I vote for whom I think is the better person. And not just at who will be running the country but who I think is a better person, personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

IMO, all politicians are liars to some degree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟770,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This article is some years old now but it gives some background on why Pope Francis thinks the way he does.

In his later years, as archbishop of Buenos Aires, Francis saw firsthand the devastation wrought upon ordinary people by economic policies originating in Washington. During Argentina’s 2001 economic crisis, when half the population was plunged into poverty, the International Monetary Fund, World Bank and U.S. Treasury agreed to policies that imposed severe austerity on Argentina’s lower class. Six years later, Francis took the leading role in shaping the pro-poor, anti-colonial spirit of the Latin American church articulated by the region’s bishops at their seminal meeting in Aparecida, Brazil.

Pope Francis is no knee-jerk liberal. He has held the traditional Catholic line on issues like abortion, gay marriage and even contraception, yet he has radically shifted the focus of the Catholic Church away from sexual ethics onto the morality of money.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

I stand with Candice.
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟279,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the end of the day, as St Augustine said, where Peter is, there is The Church. So a Pope may have some odd personal views, we are obligated to consider but we are not obliged to follow. Pope Francis is driven by his personal experiences as we all are. But his personal experiences are his, may not ours or necessarily correct. But we never leave the Ark, because those who were not in the Ark, perished in the deluge.

Upvote 0