USA
✟311,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A nutcase of any political bent might think twice of committing a crime if there is a greater respect for general law enforcement. This is on a state, federal, & local level and this includes law enforcement departments as well as general society.
Do you understand how nutcases work? They are not rational. That's why we call them nutcases. No amount of general respect for cops is going to stop them from trying crazy things.
Like poverty, crime will always be a problem. I believe the sensible mechanisms for law enforcement have been disrupted mainly by democrats. California, to me, is the general flashpoint for this. My hope is that maybe the democrats are waking up but will always be skeptical.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with DePape's attack or the prosecution of the crime after the fact.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟768,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are you serious? You are holding democrats in some way responsible for an assault on an old man with a hammer?
No, for bad policies that lead to more crime in society in general. Yes, I am serious but not as you try to spin it.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟768,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you understand how nutcases work? They are not rational. That's why we call them nutcases. No amount of general respect for cops is going to stop them from trying crazy things.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with DePape's attack or the prosecution of the crime after the fact.
Gutting sound law enforcement in general leads to more crime in general. Instilling a reasonable fear of law breaking can only help society overall ( Romans 13:1-7). Having more social sanity would help reduce insanity in general.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Gutting sound law enforcement in general leads to more crime in general. Instilling a reasonable fear of law breaking can only help society overall ( Romans 13:1-7). Having more social sanity would help reduce insanity in general.
Having a society that paid for insane people’s care and treatment would be a great start.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟167,012.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, for bad policies that lead to more crime in society in general. Yes, I am serious but not as you try to spin it.
In general? You will have a hard time establishing that.

However, if you want to criticise the Democratic Party's policies - go ahead. Start a thread. This one is about de Pape's criminal attack with a hammer on an old man in his own home.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Gutting sound law enforcement in general leads to more crime in general.
This isn't general crime. This is nut jobs.
Instilling a reasonable fear of law breaking can only help society overall ( Romans 13:1-7).
I don't care how many Romans you call, it is irrelevant.
Having more social sanity would help reduce insanity in general.
I depends on the nature of Mr. DePape's nuttery. Since he doesn't seem to have invoked any mental deficiency, not soaking his brain in nonsense and falsity might have made a difference. I dare say the leading sources of falsity and non-reality are difficult to discuss here.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟845,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟845,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Judge will reopen sentencing hearing for Paul Pelosi’s attacker

[Judge] Corley, who was nominated to the bench in 2022 by President Biden, wrote that “it was the Court’s responsibility to personally ask” DePape whether he wanted to speak. “As the Court did not do so, it committed clear error.”

‘I’m sorry’: David DePape resentenced to 30 years for attack on Pelosi family

Judge apologizes to DePape for not allowing him a chance to speak.
DePape apologizes for his attack on Paul Pelosi.
“I’m sorry for what I did, especially what I did to Paul Pelosi,” DePape said. “I should have never hurt him.”
Judge gives him 30 years again.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟768,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Having a society that paid for insane people’s care and treatment would be a great start.
Maybe deinstitutionalizing confused people too fast & too soon was not for the better. Many institutions were bad but could something else have been done? I don’t claim to know.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟167,012.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This isn't general crime. This is nut jobs.

I don't care how many Romans you call, it is irrelevant.

I depends on the nature of Mr. DePape's nuttery. Since he doesn't seem to have invoked any mental deficiency, not soaking his brain in nonsense and falsity might have made a difference. I dare say the leading sources of falsity and non-reality are difficult to discuss here.
I have searched in vain for any evidence that DePape had a mental illness or personality disorder. So he was sentenced on the basis that he understood what he was doing and under control of his actions.

I think we understand the nature of his 'nuttery'. He was simply taken in by conspiracy theories. Why he felt he was entitled to cause grievous bodily harm to somebody who was not the object of his anger actually points to mental illness or personality disorder but the court never established either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟377,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
How would MORE police funding kept Nancy's husband safe?
Of course it wouldn't. But you know what COULD have kept him safe? Appropriate investments in mental health supports as a nation.

But sadly, folks would see that investment as "defunding police".

Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟768,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How would MORE police funding kept Nancy's husband safe?
Of course it wouldn't. But you know what COULD have kept him safe? Appropriate investments in mental health supports as a nation.

But sadly, folks would see that investment as "defunding police".
I never knew supporting a general social attitude to promote law abiding behavior had so many assumptions. It seems assumed that such an attitude must obviously oppose mental health treatment, only support creating paramilitary police with no accountability, and that I assume crime would magically disappear.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟377,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I never knew supporting a general social attitude to promote law abiding behavior had so many assumptions. It seems assumed that such an attitude must obviously oppose mental health treatment, only support creating paramilitary police with no accountability, and that I assume crime would magically disappear.
You agree we should defund the police?

Upvote 0