Is modern secular society headed down the path to Sodom and Gomorrah.

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟150,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everything you post is about sex; abortion, gay marriage, LGBT, feminism, no-fault divorce and on and on. Not so much about sex, but about how civilization is at risk because people aren't doing sex the way you think they should.

If you are worried about the downfall of Western Civilization, there more dangers in front of us than how a small minority of the human race conducts itself about sex.
To be such a small minority they seem to have overwhelming representation in movies television, commercials, now in cartoons and comic books and political influence and the ability to cancel people they disagree with, how did such a small minority become so powerful?

Reactions: stevevw
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟150,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be fair, that's how it was when they taught sex ed starting when I was that age, and that didn't include any discussion of homosexuality. That's just 6th graders being 6th graders.
That was my point. 6th grade is too early for the subject

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟258,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Everything you post is about sex; abortion, gay marriage, LGBT, feminism, no-fault divorce and on and on. Not so much about sex, but about how civilization is at risk because people aren't doing sex the way you think they should.
Everything I post. When I see claims like this I immediatly suspect this is not a tatment of fact but mopre motivated by unsupported assumptions and beliefs. I am not sure if you are making this claim about the entire range of topices and issues I have commented on in this forum over the years or just this thread.

Either way it doesn't matter as its a wild and unsupported claim. I know me better than you think you know me and believe me I talk about a wide range of things to great detail, sometimes too much where sex, SSM, LGBTIQ+, feminism ect don't come into it. But as this thread is about the moral status of society I guess sex and all that is going to naturally come into it.

But even when I do discuss sex and other social issues I don't just talk about them in moral terms but also try to ground them in behavioural sciences and in the reality of lived experiences.
If you are worried about the downfall of Western Civilization, there more dangers in front of us than how a small minority of the human race conducts itself about sex.
Thats why I have broadened the criteria as to what leads to the downfall of a society. Your the one who keeps bringing it back to sex. Though as I said behaviours around sex and relationships is a pretty dominate aspect of social behaviour. Afterall is is the basic drive for the continuation of the human race.

It may not even be just the downfall of western civilisation. It could also mean the downfall of the human race itsefl if you want. Look at behaviour on a more global scale and see if there are any behaviours that may be contributing to our downfall rather than cultivating a sustainable and unified world.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It is not a problem to abide by the rules of this platform.
No, and I can see why the rules might exclude coarse or obscene language, but not a neutral clinical term for a natural bodily function.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That was my point. 6th grade is too early for the subject
Why too early? If they are of an age to be taught the function and use of the various body parts involved in any detail then it's not too early. Homosexuals don't do anything with them that heterosexual couples don't do as well.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,150,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And some people were always going to resist Gods Word. As Christ said some look and do not see and listen and do not hear. I agree the Bible and God is becoming old school. old fashions and irrelevant and even seen as hateful and trouble making. You hear mainstream celebs claim they are Christians and then say people can come to God anyway they want and deny Christ as the way, truth and life.

We are heading for a showdown, a spiritual war. I think our present state is what it is, is what it has to be for Gods Kingdom to be established over evil. Evil has to run its course, Satan will always defy God and do it his way and will find a 1,000 ways to decieve so he has the world at the moment.

But as Satan is a counterfeit God he denies Gods truth and order in doing so and this can only lead to disorder and chaos as time goes by. But at the same time I think as this polarisation increases and Christians faith is tested there will be great signs of God which may save many.

Just like in times past where people mocked God and Christians testing God and asking Him to prove Himself God always will show who He is with great works and I think as we move closer to the end time there will be great signs that counter Satan and the anti Christ.

I wouldn't really classify the culture wars as "heading toward a showdown" any more than there was a "showdown" in the 1st century between the Apostles and earliest disciples and the Roman Government.

I think we need to stop using the incendiary language of warmongers in describing what we may think is the ongoing unfolding of apocalyptic notions.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
To be such a small minority they seem to have overwhelming representation in movies television, commercials, now in cartoons and comic books and political influence and the ability to cancel people they disagree with, how did such a small minority become so powerful?
The fertility of your imagination? They don't seem to have any power over me.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Thats why I have broadened the criteria as to what leads to the downfall of a society. Your the one who keeps bringing it back to sex. Though as I said behaviours around sex and relationships is a pretty dominate aspect of social behaviour. Afterall is is the basic drive for the continuation of the human race.

It may not even be just the downfall of western civilisation. It could also mean the downfall of the human race itsefl if you want. Look at behaviour on a more global scale and see if there are any behaviours that may be contributing to our downfall rather than cultivating a sustainable and unified world.

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!

Maybe Zuul will come back.

Upvote 0

Zaha Torte

Jesus Christ is the Eternal God
May 6, 2024
Not Hispanic or Latino
✟13,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Latter-Day Saint
Marital Status
Married
No, and I can see why the rules might exclude coarse or obscene language, but not a neutral clinical term for a natural bodily function.
I think it's more about how the word is used - in the general - then it's clinical use.

Some people just ruin certain things for everyone.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think it's more about how the word is used - in the general - then it's clinical use.

Some people just ruin certain things for everyone.
In normal conversation, yes, but the filtering by the software used on CF is just doing a letter for [phrase] substitution for every word on a list. Context isn't checked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
To be fair, that's how it was when they taught sex ed starting when I was that age, and that didn't include any discussion of homosexuality. That's just 6th graders being 6th graders.

We also giggled at mention of most bodily function. That doesn't mean we don't teach adolescents how the digestive system works just because farts are gross/funny. Then again, maybe we should ban "Everybody Poops".

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Zaha Torte

May 6, 2024
Not Hispanic or Latino
✟13,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Latter-Day Saint
Marital Status
Married
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!

Maybe Zuul will come back.
BRO! I just watched this movie with my boys today. Excellent reference.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟258,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't really classify the culture wars as "heading toward a showdown" any more than there was a "showdown" in the 1st century between the Apostles and earliest disciples and the Roman Government.

I think we need to stop using the incendiary language of warmongers in describing what we may think is the ongoing unfolding of apocalyptic notions.
I disagree. It seems identity politics is the politics of modern society. But identity was brewing as the new reality well before this. Its a perfect brew of a number of things that have all worked towards this new ideology. The long march through academia and into the institutions and wider society. Postmodernism and I think social media have all helped create this new worldview.

We seen its expression into society around the turn 2000 with PC on the fringes and then cancel culture and then the rise of identity politics.

What we have today a divided society where identity groups are pitted against each other. The end result is antisemetism rising again throughout the world. Is attacks on Christians and the west and as a result likewise reactions from extreme right groups. The rise of extreme violence including terrorism in the west where people are actually wanting to destroy their own cultures.

Any society where antisemetism and self destruction and division rule is a society not in a good situation. It represents some fundemental problems with the cultures identity and wellbeing. We see this with the growing level of mental health problems especially among young people who seem to be at the forefront of all this in many ways. We have createmonster that may consume us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zaha Torte

May 6, 2024
Not Hispanic or Latino
✟13,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Latter-Day Saint
Marital Status
Married
In normal conversation, yes, but the filtering by the software used on CF is just doing a letter for [phrase] substitution for every word on a list. Context isn't checked.
As I said - the word has been ruined. It's an easy work around though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,150,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I disagree. It seems identity politics is the politics of modern society. But identity was brewing as the new reality well before this. Its a perfect brew of a number of things that have all worked towards this new ideology. The long march through academia and into the institutions and wider society. Postmodernism and I think social media have all helped create this new worldview.

We seen its expression into society around the turn 2000 with PC on the fringes and then cancel culture and then the rise of identity politics.

What we have today a divided society where identity groups are pitted against each other. The end result is antisemetism rising again throughout the world. Is attacks on Christians and the west and as a result likewise reactions from extreme right groups. The rise of extreme violence including terrorism in the west where people are actually wanting to destroy their own cultures.

Any society where antisemetism and self destruction and division rule is a society not in a good situation. It represents some fundemental problems with the cultures identity and wellbeing. We see this with the growing level of mental health problems especially among young people who seem to be at the forefront of all this in many ways. We have createmonster that may consume us.

You've obviously misunderstood me. I wasn't implying that things aren't spiritually problematic or that identity theory goes out of bounds at times. Rather, I'm implying that we aren't to resort to the use of 'war language' to propagandize and contextualize our own Christian position.

I'm not referring to the fact that it's to be expected that non-Christians may resort to that language and use it against Christians. Why are we surprised this has been happening, and for quite some time even?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟258,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You've obviously misunderstood me. I wasn't implying that things aren't spiritually problematic or that identity theory goes out of bounds at times. Rather, I'm implying that we aren't to resort to the use of 'war language' to propagandize and contextualize our own Christian position.

I'm not referring to the fact that it's to be expected that non-Christians may resort to that language and use it against Christians. Why are we surprised this has been happening, and for quite some time even?
But what is war language. Is it the truth or Gods Word. Simply standing on that truth is war language to those opposed to God, to Christ. I think the stage was set and has been brewing for some time as you say. But that stage was set by those opposed to God. THis naturally puts Christians in conflict for simply standing on Gods Word.

Buty not just Christians but anyone who stands for truth, objective reality and our lived experience of how this kind of ideology undermines things. As Lennon said "strange days indeed".

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,150,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But what is war language. Is it the truth or Gods Word. Simply standing on that truth is war language to those opposed to God, to Christ. I think the stage was set and has been brewing for some time as you say. But that stage was set by those opposed to God. THis naturally puts Christians in conflict for simply standing on Gods Word.

Buty not just Christians but anyone who stands for truth, objective reality and our lived experience of how this kind of ideology undermines things. As Lennon said "strange days indeed".

Right. But hammering atheists with Biblical tropes isn't going to turn them away, especially when most of them are Ex-Christians who are apparently responding to dogmatic, unloving, dysfunctional "Christian churches" that can't handle really deep issues regarding both epistemology, psychological trauma, and the frayed edges of some idea we all like to call "the Truth."

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟258,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right. But hammering atheists with Biblical tropes isn't going to turn them away, especially when most of them are Ex-Christians who are apparently responding to dogmatic, unloving, dysfunctional "Christian churches" that can't handle really deep issues regarding both epistemology, psychological trauma, and the frayed edges of some idea we all like to call "the Truth."
That is why I wanted to include anthropology, sociology and psychology and not just from a theological position as to how societies are ordered, how they become disordered in practical ways.

How belief and not any specific belief but how ideology plays an important role in however we choose to see the world will inevitably lead to our downfall or thriving.

I like Petersons lectures on this. He has a way of breaking down and explaining the psychology behind how societies breakdown and then relating this to the bible and Christs teachings.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,150,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is why I wanted to include anthropology, sociology and psychology and not just from a theological position as to how societies are ordered, how they become disordered in practical ways.

How belief and not any specific belief but how ideology plays an important role in however we choose to see the world will inevitably lead to our downfall or thriving.

I like Petersons lectures on this. He has a way of breaking down and explaining the psychology behind how societies breakdown and then relating this to the bible and Christs teachings.

In that video, Peterson presents some useful points, but those points aren't the whole ball of wax and not every society (or empire) in history has clearly fallen.

Upvote 0