Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Only the first sentence, warden.

Here ... I'll go back and correct it.

You're still pretty much putting words into my mouth on saying what you think that I am saying. In fact, I'm definitely calling it you putting words into my mouth by putting "He's saying" at the beginning. Muckspreading. Very unchristian behaviour.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You're still pretty much putting words into my mouth on saying what you think that I am saying. In fact, I'm definitely calling it you putting words into my mouth by putting "He's saying" at the beginning. Muckspreading. Very unchristian behaviour.

Suit yourself.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟157,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's the whole reason "gold" was in the title of that article. Sheesh.
Ok here's a video in the article as well to explain it for you and why gold is important for neurotransmitters to work. Giving your brain the ability to function and think.

• Winner
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟157,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm appalled.
Ok sorry but what does the abbreviation mean? It's not easy figuring out what the words abbreviated is implying, unless you explain yourself. Yea "lol" is common use but I don't see ToE used often if ever.

Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,338.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

While it's a bit cruel to keep flogging a dead horse this much, it is nice that you go to so much trouble to agree with me.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟246,060.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Ok sorry but what does the abbreviation mean? It's not easy figuring out what the words abbreviated is implying, unless you explain yourself. Yea "lol" is common use but I don't see ToE used often if ever.
Theory of Evolution. It is a commonplace in discussions about evolution and I think it used equally by those who accept the theory as the current best explanation for the diversity of life on the planet and those who do not.

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟155,808.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I shall apologise, I was saying that you were incorrect in your usage of the word 'disprove' when in fact you were very much correct in using the word disprove whereas chesteron is not correct in the slightest of his use of the word proof.

I'm sorry.
No problem just don't want someone
herein unnamed getting the wrong idea. :D

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟157,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Theory of Evolution. It is a commonplace in discussions about evolution and I think it used equally by those who accept the theory as the current best explanation for the diversity of life on the planet and those who do not.
Is the universe part of that? Or just earth?

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟282,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even the next level of evolution AI is mocking this thread.

gibberish.png

Unfortunately I am not at the evolutionary level to understand the sentences which is written in the AI language of Lingubotish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟938,067.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Okay, just for the fun of it, let's use the word "designer" loosely as a metaphor. If natural selection is the "designer" then you're saying that evolution is inconsistent with itself.

Except that's a ridiculous semantic game.

We are not using designer in a loose metaphorical context, we are using designer as an alternative to an undirected process like mutation and natural selection.

I think you're confused. I said nothing about abiogenesis or creation.

Neither did I.

Darwin's book describes how the environment encourages or discourages variation in species to the point that they are no longer recognisable as the original species.

In that sense the book absolutely describes the origin of species... how exactly did it not in your opinion?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟246,060.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Is the universe part of that? Or just earth?
That is an odd question. It suggests my original post to you was itself ambiguous. I shall attempt to cover all the angles in my reply.

The Theory of Evolution was developed to explain the diversity of life on the Earth, based upon observation of life on Earth. In that sense it is only about the Earth and can - at this point in time - only be about life on Earth.

However, the theory makes use of principles thought to be universal and the probability is extremely high that if there is life elsewhere in the universe that it would governed by the same "rules" as apply to life on Earth.

I think those points cover the theory of evolution, but evolution is a word with multiple applications. To avoid equivocation we need to be sure which one we are using at any one time. In discussions around the ToE evolution implicitly means biological evolution. But evolution can also refer to changes such as those involved in the development of planetary systems, or galaxies. So in that general sense evolution can refer to the other parts of the universe, or the entire universe.

Does that answer your question?

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟346,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How could you know?
How could I know what? Whether you have extensive knowledge of comparative genetics? I've read your posts here. Whether there's genetic evidence for common descent? By having extensive knowledge of comparative genetics.
Yes of course they would.
How? How does a common designer explain the pattern shown in the linked article?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟346,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I must say, someone claiming to know what God could or couldn't do might be an unsurpassable height of arrogance.
Who are you talking about? I've made no such claim. You asked for evidence. I'm providing you with what you asked for, and so far, you seem remarkably reluctant to engage with it.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟318,547.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Theory of Evolution. The subject of this very thread. My implication here is that you being unaware of this illustrates your lack of knowledge in this area.

Which is fine if you are willing to learn. But post 231 seems to indicate that you are not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟938,067.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Yes of course they would. How would genetics look any different if there were a common designer?
Designed items don't fall into nested hierarchies.

As I suggested earlier:
A car designer doesn't have to invent a separate recipe for the tires on a truck and a car after the two lines have separated. This is not the case with life.

But the more significant factor are the non coding DNA and the genetic atavisms.

The non coding DNA is filled with remnants of viral insertions, that match up with the degrees of relatedness despite not being strongly effected by any kind of selection.

Atavisms are genetic scars left over from traits that are not active in the species. Birds have the genes for teeth and dolphins have the genes for hind legs... created species would't need this.

Now, there is the point that an omnipotent God could absolutely encode any of these traits... but it would be very bizarre and deceptive to fill life (and the Earth at large) with physical evidence for events of deep time and of evolution from a common ancestor.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟155,808.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
While it's a bit cruel to keep flogging a dead horse this much, it is nice that you go to so much trouble to agree with me.
I'd not call you a dead horse as such.

For one, the dead don't play silly games like
pretending they knew all along what they'd been
arguing against.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟155,808.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Designed items don't fall into nested hierarchies.

As I suggested earlier:
A car designer doesn't have to invent a separate recipe for the tires on a truck and a car after the two lines have separated. This is not the case with life.

But the more significant factor are the non coding DNA and the genetic atavisms.

The non coding DNA is filled with remnants of viral insertions, that match up with the degrees of relatedness despite not being strongly effected by any kind of selection.

Atavisms are genetic scars left over from traits that are not active in the species. Birds have the genes for teeth and dolphins have the genes for hind legs... created species would't need this.

Now, there is the point that an omnipotent God could absolutely encode any of these traits... but it would be very bizarre and deceptive to fill life (and the Earth at large) with physical evidence for events of deep time and of evolution from a common ancestor.
The magic hand - wave of last Thursdayism
isn't bizarre so much as simple minded.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟246,060.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Theory of Evolution. The subject of this very thread. My implication here is that you being unaware of this illustrates your lack of knowledge in this area.
I have to speak out in defence of @BeyondET on this point. I studied evolution as part of both my palaeontology and botany undergraduate studies. I had read Origin of Species, seminal works of Theodosius Dobzhansky and George Gaylord Simpson, Colbert's book on Vertebrate evolution, biographies of Darwin, scores, if not hundreds of research papers on the topic, and not once encountered the abbrevisation ToE until joining a science forum sometime around the turn of the millenium. If the premise you base your judgement of BeyondET's knowledge upon is valid, then all that study I did is clearly worthless and quarter of a century ago I lacked knowledge about evolutionary theory. I suggest such was not the case.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟318,547.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If the premise you base your judgement of BeyondET's knowledge upon is valid, then all that study I did is clearly worthless and quarter of a century ago I lacked knowledge about evolutionary theory.
I would contend that the internet shorthand of ToE was far less common back then. Today it is much more common; especially in a science thread.

Upvote 0