Conservative or Liberal literally........

What is more important to you?

• Changing with the changing times is the best way to the best future.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Not changing with changing times to make the best future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some mix of the two.

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟747,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That is the best way to look at it - but it would require people to be informed - and they don't like doing that.

It's easier to just check the box with the letter of the party you support.
Yes. it's about batting for the home team and not so much going to bat for what one's belief system would normally find to be important.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Excellent observation. That is the main reason that I posted it the way I did. With total flip-flops by both major parties, how can we be certain what is a conservative or liberal position? Do we go by the definition of the words (label)? If not, with all of this criss-crossing of values, how are people to know what agenda they are voting for? Since it can't be deciphered by definition, is it the latest news report, the latest poll, what out neighbor, family, or friends say or what?

My solution to this (maybe not a solution but it may be helpful, I certainly don't have all the answers). We should vote on an issue-by-issue basis. Regardless of party, what individual supports the things that are most important to me? It also indicates that we must look at each individual who is running instead of just picking a party. I mean, I was raised Minnesota DFL across the board but I wish I could remember the name of a man who was pretty in step with the principles that are most important to me but he was a southern Republican. I wouldn't have been in a position to vote for him but if I was, I would regardless of party.
The two major parties are beginning to switch poles (again).
Democrats will be come the “Conservative Party”, as they defend the legacies of FDR, HST, JFK/LBJ, WJC and BHO from the onslaughts of the (then) Liberal Party of “new ideas”, the GOP (or whatever name they switch to).

Say what you want but Donald Trump took the Republicans away from (real-actual) “conservatism” and substituted right-wing-populism and many still haven’t noticed the switch.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Say what you want but Donald Trump took the Republicans away from (real-actual) “conservatism” and substituted right-wing-populism and many still haven’t noticed the switch.
A lot of "conservatives" have been right-wing populists all along. Maybe not the ones at the top of the party, but the rank and file listening to talk radio.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
A lot of "conservatives" have been right-wing populists all along. Maybe not the ones at the top of the party, but the rank and file listening to talk radio.
Populism, (no matter the “flavor”), can only exist to fight [the enemy] of “what’s standing in our way to be the society [we few elites] say you want.

It’s nothing but turtles all the way down from there.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟253,461.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think that the liberals are more concerned with individual freedom while conservative seems to lean less toward individual freedom and more toward business freedom (but it is possible that I am thinking of the progressive view and the capitalist view which advocates more for business freedom).
Well I think there are two main aspects. Social and Economic.
In USA the battleground is mostly on the Social ground, and this is reflected in Christian Forums by seeing that almost all threads in the politics sub forum are about social issues and very rarely about economic issues.

From a social aspect the Liberals want autonomy for the people, they want to allow for and to protect diversity and not allow the majority to dominate the minorities.
Where-as the Conservatives seem to want a homogenous society where everyone thinks and behaves the appropriate and approved way,
In USA that seems to be the White Christian way. Straight, married with 2 kids, a dog, a picket fence, a flag, all going to church on Sundays. They seem to be fearful of people that don't fit that mold, want to outlaw gays and trans, what to stop Mexicans and Muslims from coming in and changing the culture and hue of the country.

Reactions: BCP1928
Upvote 0