Climate Change acronym memory aid challenge - how to sum up risks to people and planet?

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟145,772.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

I was trying to cover the various extreme weather phenomenon and sea level rise etc. But then I thought of actual effects on people and ecosystems - and grouping the different climate phenomenon that way.

I had FIRES - Famines, Instability - threat multiplier (war), Refugees, Extinctions, Sea level rise (and city damage).

But if you've seen another good climate impacts memory aid or acronyms, I'd love to consider it for my blog. I'm doing a bit of a rewrite of my summary threats page.

Last edited:

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I had FIRES - Famines, Instability - threat multiplier (war), Refugees, Extinctions, Sea level rise (and city damage).

Do you mean acronyms, instead of anagrams?

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟148,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

I was trying to cover the various extreme weather phenomenon and actual permanent weather shifts - but then I thought of actual effects on people - and grouping the different climate phenomenon that way.

But if you've seen something cool - or come up with something of your own - I'd love to consider it for my blog. I'm doing a bit of a rewrite of my summary threats page.
Here is my acronym:

FREAK
Fires - Forest fires from heatwaves
Rising Temperatures - Leading to heatwaves, droughts, and melting glaciers
Endangered - Loss of biodiversity as habitats disappear and species can't adapt fast enough
Adaptation - Complex and costly for governments, communities, and individuals
Keeling Curve - CO2 levels are tracked by the Keeling curve.

Keeling curve info: https://keelingcurve.ucsd.edu/

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟148,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Got another one.

STEWARDS (Genesis 2:15)

S - Sea-level Rise: Climate change causes the polar ice caps and glaciers to melt, leading to a rise in sea levels that can result in flooding and coastal erosion.
T - Temperature: Climate change causes global temperatures to increase, leading to a range of negative impacts including melting glaciers and ice caps, more frequent extreme weather events, and negative impacts on agriculture.
E - Extreme Weather Events: Climate change can lead to an increase in the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events such as heat waves, droughts, heavy rainfall, and storms.
W - Water Cycle: Climate change can disrupt the water cycle, leading to more frequent droughts in some areas and heavy rainfall in others. This can have negative impacts on agriculture, hydropower production, and water availability for human use.
A - Acidification: Climate change can lead to ocean acidification due to increased carbon dioxide levels, which can harm marine ecosystems and the people who depend on them for food and livelihoods.
R - Rising Sea Temperature: Climate change causes sea temperatures to rise, leading to negative impacts on marine ecosystems and potentially impacting human activities such as fishing and tourism.
D - Displacement: Climate change can lead to displacement of people due to sea-level rise, more frequent extreme weather events, and other negative impacts.
S - Species Extinction: Climate change can lead to the extinction of plant and animal species due to changes in temperature, precipitation patterns, and other factors.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟145,772.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you mean acronyms, instead of anagrams?
Thank you. Some bad insomnia the last few nights. My fitbit score has been 62 then 61... getting worse!

• Prayers
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟148,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you. Some bad insomnia the last few nights. My fitbit score has been 62 then 61... getting worse!
I will pray for you, and that your insomnia goes away. Hopefully you get better, fellow friend.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I'll be praying for you.

(My wife is scheduled for a heart cath soon.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟148,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'll be praying for you.

(My wife is scheduled for a heart cath soon.)
I will pray for your wife as well. We should put these prayers on the CF prayer wall also, so that others may pray for your wife and @eclipsenow.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟145,772.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Got another one.

STEWARDS (Genesis 2:15)

S - Sea-level Rise: Climate change causes the polar ice caps and glaciers to melt, leading to a rise in sea levels that can result in flooding and coastal erosion.
T - Temperature: Climate change causes global temperatures to increase, leading to a range of negative impacts including melting glaciers and ice caps, more frequent extreme weather events, and negative impacts on agriculture.
E - Extreme Weather Events: Climate change can lead to an increase in the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events such as heat waves, droughts, heavy rainfall, and storms.
W - Water Cycle: Climate change can disrupt the water cycle, leading to more frequent droughts in some areas and heavy rainfall in others. This can have negative impacts on agriculture, hydropower production, and water availability for human use.
A - Acidification: Climate change can lead to ocean acidification due to increased carbon dioxide levels, which can harm marine ecosystems and the people who depend on them for food and livelihoods.
R - Rising Sea Temperature: Climate change causes sea temperatures to rise, leading to negative impacts on marine ecosystems and potentially impacting human activities such as fishing and tourism.
D - Displacement: Climate change can lead to displacement of people due to sea-level rise, more frequent extreme weather events, and other negative impacts.
S - Species Extinction: Climate change can lead to the extinction of plant and animal species due to changes in temperature, precipitation patterns, and other factors.
This one is nice in that it's not an alarmist word - but one full of our hope and responsibility to act. It also adds Acidification - a major problem - and the very powerful W. I'm going to include the modelled (and now observable) fact that a warmer atmosphere can carry more water vapour - increasing drying over here, and dumping great deluges over there. Famine and floods.

I'm kind of amazed that there are still climate deniers - but it seems in the USA the greatest determinant of one's respect for reality is one's political alignment. Surveys have statistically shown this to be true.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟145,772.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You mentioned wars in your OP.
Did I? Wow. I also used many other words. It's called context - which in this forum is about science. Your signature says you don't like science. So again I wonder why you are here? But I'm not asking. No need to answer. No need to post in this thread, really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟148,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This one is nice in that it's not an alarmist word - but one full of our hope and responsibility to act. It also adds Acidification - a major problem - and the very powerful W. I'm going to include the modelled (and now observable) fact that a warmer atmosphere can carry more water vapour - increasing drying over here, and dumping great deluges over there. Famine and floods.

I'm kind of amazed that there are still climate deniers - but it seems in the USA the greatest determinant of one's respect for reality is one's political alignment. Surveys have statistically shown this to be true.
I am surprised that climate deniers exist in 2024, when Gen 2:15 told us to be good stewards of the Earth. Yeah, acidification is an issue right now. It would be interesting to see an ocean pH graph*.

*Oh wait, here it is. Notice how the pH is a near vertical line, dropping from 8.2 from 1800 to 7.9 by 2050. Notice how the pH was ~8.2 for millions of years. Then the industrial revolution happened, and the pH dropped drastically down to under ~8.0 by the 21st century:
1712110706916.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟282,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did I? Wow. I also used many other words. It's called context - which in this forum is about science. Your signature says you don't like science. So again I wonder why you are here? But I'm not asking. No need to answer. No need to post in this thread, really.
Bad luck there is no thumbs down icon when you need one.

Reactions: eclipsenow
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟145,772.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
SCIENCE

S
tratospheric Cooling Infrared Energy and Neutral Carbon Environment.

AGW causes Stratospheric Cooling involves Infrared Energy and the countermeasure is to establish a Neutral Carbon Environment.
Nice - I may have to keep that as my summary big picture acronym. But right now I'm all about the impacts - the ways it hurts people and 'planet' (well - it's not going to hurt the PLANET but 'planet' seems to be shorthand for global biosphere and ecosystems these days.)

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟145,772.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,
I just cheated and used Chat GPT - and it ain't terrible! ;)
I asked Chat GPT "Develop the words in the acronym "Wasteland" where every letter of "wasteland" stands for an important effect of climate change"
I was thinking of starting with the primary way all the extra heat breaks the weather by messing primarily with our water cycles:
1. Moving weather patterns (extra heat = faster weather - rainfall missing that land and falling more out to sea, etc),
2. Wetter atmosphere (a warmer atmosphere carries 7% more water vapour per 1 degree C. This means aster drying over hear leading to drought, then carries that extra water to dump a huge deluge over there. More Famines and Floods!
So I was thinking 'What starts with W for Water - and reminds me of Mad Max?"

I might tinker with it a bit - but this is a good starting point!

W - Water Scarcity: Climate change leads to altered precipitation patterns, resulting in droughts in some regions and excessive rainfall in others. This disrupts water availability for agriculture, drinking, and sanitation, leading to water scarcity.

A - Accelerated Sea Level Rise: Rising global temperatures cause thermal expansion of seawater and the melting of polar ice caps and glaciers, resulting in accelerated sea level rise. This poses threats to coastal communities, ecosystems, and infrastructure.

S - Shifts in Ecosystems: Climate change disrupts ecosystems by altering temperature and precipitation patterns, causing shifts in species distributions, changes in phenology, and loss of biodiversity. This can lead to ecosystem collapse and loss of habitat for many species.

T - Temperature Extremes: Climate change increases the frequency and intensity of heatwaves, wildfires, and extreme weather events such as hurricanes, floods, and storms. These temperature extremes have adverse impacts on human health, agriculture, and infrastructure.

E - Economic Disruption: Climate change poses significant economic risks through impacts on agriculture, fisheries, tourism, and insurance costs. Extreme weather events and sea-level rise can cause damage to property, disrupt supply chains, and lead to loss of livelihoods.

L - Loss of Biodiversity: Climate change is a major driver of biodiversity loss through habitat destruction, altered ecosystems, and increased extinction rates. This loss of biodiversity can disrupt ecosystem services, such as pollination and nutrient cycling, with far-reaching consequences.

A - Air Pollution: Climate change exacerbates air pollution by increasing the frequency and severity of wildfires and heatwaves, which release pollutants into the atmosphere. Poor air quality affects human health, causing respiratory diseases and exacerbating existing health conditions.

N - Natural Disasters: Climate change amplifies the frequency and intensity of natural disasters, including hurricanes, floods, droughts, and wildfires. These events result in loss of life, displacement of communities, and destruction of infrastructure, exacerbating human suffering and economic losses.

D - Desertification: Climate change contributes to the expansion of arid and semi-arid regions, leading to desertification. Changes in precipitation patterns and increased temperatures reduce soil moisture, degrade land quality, and threaten agricultural productivity, exacerbating food insecurity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0