Any book recommendations for being less bothered by change?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟436,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't mean change in the Church but just change in life. Like when your town grows and becomes less and less like the place you grew up, or when a workplace undergoes a transition and doesn't quite feel like the same place anymore, or maybe the McRib is taken off the menu. I don't know.

Things that in the grand scheme of things aren't important but some people, like me, have a tendency to be uncomfortable with and have difficulty adjusting to. I just feel like I want to be free of my concern about change, but I also think that sounds a little too Buddhist. The whole "detachment" concept and their general view of impermanence. But I'd be interested if there were any good contemporary Catholic writers who maybe just have good life advice backed by Catholic theology for how a person like me can grow into not letting change rub me the wrong way anymore, not let it bother me.

There's a vulgar concept that I often here from friends that I'll paraphrase as "Zero effs". I don't know if anyone has seen the 1999 film Office Space where the main character Peter is undergoing hypnotism when in the middle of the procedure the hypnotist keels over from a heart attack. Since the hypnotism is left unfinished Peter walks away in this carefree state that has managed to give him perspective on the important things in life.

I dunno but that disposition, that state of mind, has been my white whale for my entire adulthood thus far. I think in some part my aversion to change is why I can't reach that. It's not the whole reason but I'm sure it's a big part of it. It's reared it's head because of a lot of external changes happening in my world right now. I'm sensitive (not in a touchy feely way, just in that I notice things) to my environment so everything that's happening is just really bringing my issue to my own attention.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. It's late and I'm running on 3hrs sleep, but... TL;DR - if anyone knows a good Catholic book on detachment from things that are unimportant, letting go of change, etc a recommendation would be awesome.

Thanks!

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,743,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are a lot of Catholic centered courses and books out there if you research it. I have not read any of them personally but if you look it up there seems to be some choices to sift through that may help. Maybe discussing your concerns with your priest as well. Prayers for you. :praying:

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't mean change in the Church but just change in life. Like when your town grows and becomes less and less like the place you grew up, or when a workplace undergoes a transition and doesn't quite feel like the same place anymore, or maybe the McRib is taken off the menu. I don't know.

Things that in the grand scheme of things aren't important but some people, like me, have a tendency to be uncomfortable with and have difficulty adjusting to. I just feel like I want to be free of my concern about change, but I also think that sounds a little too Buddhist. The whole "detachment" concept and their general view of impermanence. But I'd be interested if there were any good contemporary Catholic writers who maybe just have good life advice backed by Catholic theology for how a person like me can grow into not letting change rub me the wrong way anymore, not let it bother me.

There's a vulgar concept that I often here from friends that I'll paraphrase as "Zero effs". I don't know if anyone has seen the 1999 film Office Space where the main character Peter is undergoing hypnotism when in the middle of the procedure the hypnotist keels over from a heart attack. Since the hypnotism is left unfinished Peter walks away in this carefree state that has managed to give him perspective on the important things in life.

I dunno but that disposition, that state of mind, has been my white whale for my entire adulthood thus far. I think in some part my aversion to change is why I can't reach that. It's not the whole reason but I'm sure it's a big part of it. It's reared it's head because of a lot of external changes happening in my world right now. I'm sensitive (not in a touchy feely way, just in that I notice things) to my environment so everything that's happening is just really bringing my issue to my own attention.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. It's late and I'm running on 3hrs sleep, but... TL;DR - if anyone knows a good Catholic book on detachment from things that are unimportant, letting go of change, etc a recommendation would be awesome.

Thanks!
I do not like change that much either for some things, but embrace change for others. Here are two verses that reflect on this. I might make a Bible study on change later today.

Joshua 1:9 (ESV): "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Isaiah 43:18 (ESV): "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past."

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟436,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do not like change that much either for some things, but embrace change for others. Here are two verses that reflect on this. I might make a Bible study on change later today.

Joshua 1:9 (ESV): "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Isaiah 43:18 (ESV): "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past."
I also like:

(Matthew 6:34 NRSV-CE) “So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟119,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I also like:

(Matthew 6:34 NRSV-CE) “So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.
Yep. While I forgot to add that one to the Bible study, it is up and ready. Do not worry about the future, one thing that I commonly did as a kid. That is why I stay away from most eschatologists.

Bible study of change: Change in our Life (Joshua 1:9 and Isaiah 43:18)

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟76,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status