Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel like everyday I grow more and more convinced of "dead internet" theory...
In a country where we supposedly have freedom of speech, who decides what is, and isnt?

"The US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) has contracted New York-based Accrete AI to deploy software that detects “real time” disinformation threats on social media."

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I feel like everyday I grow more and more convinced of "dead internet" theory...
In a country where we supposedly have freedom of speech, who decides what is, and isnt?

"The US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) has contracted New York-based Accrete AI to deploy software that detects “real time” disinformation threats on social media."

Would you prefer we not know when something is fake?

Upvote 0

The Hour IS AT HAND

I think the AoD is on the earth
Aug 21, 2023
Phoenix
Visit site
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would you prefer we not know when something is fake?
Why cant we make that decision ourselves though?

Makes me think of...

Mat 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

I think we all need to exercise our own discernment.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Let's take the Satanic Panic of the 1980s. Daycare centers were being accused of practicing Satanism. False accusations destroyed careers and lives. All it takes is a handful of people to falsely accuse people of "Ritual Satanic Abuse" and destroy their livelihood. However, those who make the accusations suffer no penalties for those false accusations. Where would you stand on that?

Upvote 0

The Hour IS AT HAND

Aug 21, 2023
Phoenix
Visit site
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let's take the Satanic Panic of the 1980s. Daycare centers were being accused of practicing Satanism. False accusations destroyed careers and lives. All it takes is a handful of people to falsely accuse people of "Ritual Satanic Abuse" and destroy their livelihood. However, those who make the accusations suffer no penalties for those false accusations. Where would you stand on that?
Just off observing the times, look at the music industry, its filled with satanic images and open satanic worship. The state of Texas (last time I checked) was in litigation with the Church of Satan. You got that show Lucifer, where satan is supposed to be the good guy!
So what you were talking about doesnt seem to far fetched...

s-l1600001.jpg

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Your opinion has zero bearing on whether or not something is a fabrication or otherwise part of some larger disinformation. You can choose to like it or believe it or whatever, but when it comes to the source of the material, your opinions are irrelevant. Regarding the outright fakes, they fakes are (or will be) really good and you (and I) are likely too ignorant to tell the difference.

It'd be no different than owning a forged painting. You are welcome to think that something is pretty and that you'd like to hang it on your wall, but you don't get to decide whether or not it's an original Monet.

Regarding disinformation, that gets fuzzier, but I'd still rather know if the propaganda I'm receiving is truly the result of a larger swell of public sentiment, or just the result of a bot farm gaming an algorithm.

Makes me think of...

Mat 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

You're literally arguing for blindness.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟439,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
.....I think we all need to exercise our own discernment.
I'm losing my faith in many peoples capacity for that. They prefer that a certain story gets told, one that pushes the right emotional buttons, regardless of whether its true or not.

Upvote 0

The Hour IS AT HAND

Aug 21, 2023
Phoenix
Visit site
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're literally arguing for blindness.
Definitely not! All I am saying is I think we should take that responsibility on ourselves, and not just blindly trust our government, or anyone for that matter. While we are still prone to being deceived, I think we are much more prone to that if we just trust what we are told, and not look into it ourselves. I mean "the experts" are people too, they aren't perfect. Now we are supposedly going to rely on AI to make the decision for us of what is/isnt true?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Just off observing the times, look at the music industry, its filled with satanic images and open satanic worship.
No, it isn't. A couple (mostly metal) genres use occultic imagery because it's spooky, but you could probably count on your fingers the number of bands who truly participated in "satanic worship." Substance abuse and sex are things. Satanism is not. Even the drugs and sex are becoming less of a thing since the industry has gotten more professional and there's so much more money on the line.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Definitely not! All I am saying is I think we should take that responsibility on ourselves, and not just blindly trust our government, or anyone for that matter. While we are still prone to being deceived, I think we are much more prone to that if we just trust what we are told, and not look into it ourselves. I mean "the experts" are people too, they aren't perfect. Now we are supposedly going to rely on AI to make the decision for us of what is/isnt true?
Unless you're doing your own original journalism (you're not), you're already relying on others (including, but not limited to, AI) to decide for you what is and isn't true. To wit: your OP cited zerohedge, a website that peddles conspiracy theories, and you've repeated false propaganda about satanism, the music industry, and day cares. You're already outsourcing your decision-making, without even realizing it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Hour IS AT HAND

Aug 21, 2023
Phoenix
Visit site
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, it isn't. A couple (mostly metal) genres use occultic imagery because it's spooky, but you could probably count on your fingers the number of bands who truly participated in "satanic worship." Substance abuse and sex are things. Satanism is not. Even the drugs and sex are becoming less of a thing since the industry has gotten more professional and there's so much more money on the line.
What? Look at rap...

Little Nas X... in general

Its in baseball...

It's in Target

Upvote 0

The Hour IS AT HAND

Aug 21, 2023
Phoenix
Visit site
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unless you're doing your own original journalism (you're not), you're already relying on others (including, but not limited to, AI) to decide for you what is and isn't true. To wit: your OP cited zerohedge, a website that peddles conspiracy theories, and you've repeated false propaganda about satanism, the music industry, and day cares. You're already outsourcing your decision-making, without even realizing it.
I may not be a literal journalist but I can still do my own research...

Clearly we dont see eye to eye on the matter, and that's ok. I still want to do by own digging on something before I believe it. For me that means looking at more than the headline, and more than just one site, and more than just the "echo-chamber". Ultimately though, I trust the Bible, and what does that say about satan in the world? What I see, matches up with what scripture tells me.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I may not be a literal journalist but I can still do my own research...

If you're conflating the metaphor of "she's a devil" with actual satanism, then you're doing a pretty poor job of researching things. You're latching onto an extremely shallow interpretation of the visuals and ignoring even a plain reading of the lyrics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Hour IS AT HAND

Aug 21, 2023
Phoenix
Visit site
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you're conflating the metaphor of "she's a devil" with actual satanism, then you're doing a pretty poor job of researching things. You're latching onto an extremely shallow interpretation of the visuals and ignoring even a plain reading of the lyrics.
Anything opposed to God's word, leads to destruction.
Do you need someone to say they explicitly worship satan to consider it satanism?

Mat 7:13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.
Mat 7:14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just off observing the times, look at the music industry, its filled with satanic images and open satanic worship. The state of Texas (last time I checked) was in litigation with the Church of Satan. You got that show Lucifer, where satan is supposed to be the good guy!
So what you were talking about doesnt seem to far fetched...

View attachment 335689
Uh that's from the card game Illuminati, which has nothing to do with my question. So if I accuse your church of RSA, and simply spread rumors, and cause members to leave your church and maybe even sue your church, you have no problem with that?

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,453,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm losing my faith in many peoples capacity for that. They prefer that a certain story gets told, one that pushes the right emotional buttons, regardless of whether its true or not.

Yes, the last few years have demonstrated how fallable people are at filtering information. Everyone defines their own "truth." Frankly, I think our society and country is doomed.

Upvote 0

The Hour IS AT HAND

Aug 21, 2023
Phoenix
Visit site
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Uh that's from the card game Illuminati, which has nothing to do with my question. So if I accuse your church of RSA, and simply spread rumors, and cause members to leave your church and maybe even sue your church, you have no problem with that?
I'm not sure what you mean by "RSA".
I go to church, but I don't hold any major allegiance to my Church, I am more concerned with the Bible, and having a relationship with Jesus. If my Church that I attend is straying from biblical doctrine, yes I would have a problem with that.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟923,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Makes me think of...

Because humans a very susceptible to believing what they want to be true over what is actually true.

Upvote 0

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the last few years have demonstrated how fallable people are at filtering information. Everyone defines their own "truth." Frankly, I think our society and country is doomed.
Truth will be back and everyone should be ready to meet him.

The OP is correct who decides what is or is not misinformation, we certainly cannot leave that up to the deceivers.

Upvote 0

The Hour IS AT HAND

Aug 21, 2023
Phoenix
Visit site
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just to add to the list. Do you know who Aleistar Crowley is?

But those are all just coincidences... Right?

Upvote 0