✟1,112,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Bereshit (Genesis) - Chapter 10​

22The sons of Shem were Elam and Asshur and Arpachshad and Lud and Aram.כבבְּנֵ֥י שֵׁ֖ם עֵילָ֣ם וְאַשּׁ֑וּר וְאַרְפַּכְשַׁ֖ד וְל֥וּד וַֽאֲרָֽם:
23And the sons of Aram were Uz and Hul and Gether and Mash.כגוּבְנֵ֖י אֲרָ֑ם ע֥וּץ וְח֖וּל וְגֶ֥תֶר וָמַֽשׁ:
24And Arpachshad begot Shelah, and Shelah begot Eber.כדוְאַרְפַּכְשַׁ֖ד יָלַ֣ד אֶת־שָׁ֑לַח וְשֶׁ֖לַח יָלַ֥ד אֶת־עֵֽבֶר:

Luke 3:35-36 King James Version (swKJV)
35 Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala,

36 Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,

Brenton's Septuagint (LXX)
Genesis 10:22 Commentaries & Bibles"> Sons of Shem{gr.Sem}, Elam, and Asshur{gr.Assur}, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Syria{gr.Aram}, and Cainan.

Genesis 10:23 Commentaries & Bibles"> And sons of Syria{gr.Aram}, Uz, and Ul, and Gater, and Mosoch.
Genesis 10:24 Commentaries & Bibles"> And Arphaxad begot Cainan, and Cainan begot Sala. And Sala begot Eber{gr.Heber}.

JUBILEES 8
The Earth Divided Into Three Parts For Shem And Ham And Japheth
1 In the twenty-ninth jubilee, in the first week, [1373 A.M.] in the beginning thereof Arpachshad took to himself a wife and her name was Rasu'eja, the daughter of Susan, the daughter of Elam, and she bare him a son in the third year in this week, [1375 A.M.] and he called his name Kainam.

5 And in the thirtieth jubilee, [1429 A.M.] in the second week, in the first year thereof, he took to himself a wife, and her name was Melka, the daughter of Madai, the son of Japheth, and in the fourth year [1432 A.M.] he begat a son, and called his name Shelah; for he said: 'Truly I have been sent.'

Reactions: Yahudim

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,112,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Shemot (Exodus) - Chapter 12​

40And the habitation of the children of Israel, that they dwelled in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years.מוּמוֹשַׁב֙ בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֲשֶׁ֥ר יָֽשְׁב֖וּ בְּמִצְרָ֑יִם שְׁלשִׁ֣ים שָׁנָ֔ה וְאַרְבַּ֥ע מֵא֖וֹת שָׁנָֽה:

More witnesses to the corruption:

Samaritan Pentateuch in English (SPE)​

40Now the sojourning of the children of Israel and fathers of them, who dwelt in Canaan and in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years.

Septuagint Bible​

40 And the sojourning of the children of Israel, while they sojourned in the land of Egypt and the land of Chanaan, four hundred and thirty years.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟166,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you heard the view that Cainan was not truly the son of Arphaxad?

The Curse of Canaan Exposed - Nazoraean

"CAINAN (Kainam/Canaan) was acknowledged as a son of Shem. But because CAINAN (Kainam/Canaan) was ethnically of Hamitic lineage and not of Shemitic lineage, his name has been left out of the genealogical tables of the Masoretic Text (MT) of the Holy Bible, and so, CAINAN (Kainam/Canaan) was not counted as a son of Shem or as a son of Arphaxad in it. So, CAINAN (Kainam/Canaan) was prophetically cursed by Noah because of the sin of his father HAM."

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟377,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
he has a series on the very topic, he compares all the texts and proposes a hypothesis as to why there are changes. It's a very good series. Changed my mind on the subject. I now favor the Septuagint text because of it. it is 5 or 6 videos or he give a podcast interview that is about 90 minutes long. I can give you a synopsis if you would like. or you can enjoy finding out for yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟377,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

"CAINAN (Kainam/Canaan) was acknowledged as a son of Shem. But because CAINAN (Kainam/Canaan) was ethnically of Hamitic lineage and not of Shemitic lineage, his name has been left out of the genealogical tables of the Masoretic Text (MT) of the Holy Bible, and so, CAINAN (Kainam/Canaan) was not counted as a son of Shem or as a son of Arphaxad in it. So, CAINAN (Kainam/Canaan) was prophetically cursed by Noah because of the sin of his father HAM."
Scott Stripling addresses this issue in a stand-alone video.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,112,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Well if I was willing to accept that Luke is wrong; that the Pharisees knew better than the Zadokites, who YHWH said are to settle disputes concerning scripture; and that the unadulterated Book of Jubilees, written by Moses, and rejected by the Pharisees, and embraced by the Zadokites, is wrong; then I might be willing to entertain that.

In addition, how would you justify the Pharisees' revision of Exodus 12? I can't; as it presents a math problem. Math doesn't lie.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,112,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
he has a series on the very topic, he compares all the texts and proposes a hypothesis as to why there are changes. It's a very good series. Changed my mind on the subject. I now favor the Septuagint text because of it. it is 5 or 6 videos or he give a podcast interview that is about 90 minutes long. I can give you a synopsis if you would like. or you can enjoy finding out for yourself.
I did a web search before I asked why. He has so much work out there, that looking for the related work would be a study unto itself. Do you have links?

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟377,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I did a web search before I asked why. He has so much work out there, that looking for the related work would be a study unto itself. Do you have links?
would you like me to post what i watched and listen to. That might help

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟377,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟377,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟377,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I will post the link to the videos below on chronology, you will have to go through them yourself. there is one on Kainan the very topic you were talking about. Enjoy.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟377,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well if I was willing to accept that Luke is wrong; that the Pharisees knew better than the Zadokites, who YHWH said are to settle disputes concerning scripture; and that the unadulterated Book of Jubilees, written by Moses, and rejected by the Pharisees, and embraced by the Zadokites, is wrong; then I might be willing to entertain that.

In addition, how would you justify the Pharisees' revision of Exodus 12? I can't; as it presents a math problem. Math doesn't lie.
Harry Smith talks about Jubilees on the podcast.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,112,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It was Harry Smith not Scott Stripling

here is the pod cast
I listened to most of this podcast. I kept getting errors; and I had to guess where I was, when I restarted the podcast.

He presents a lot of facts that I was already aware of; and he makes assertions as facts, that I was not aware of. He also presents unsupported conjecture as fact.

It seems that he picks and chooses his facts, mixed with conjecture, that support his dogma. I don't see any difference between that, and his criticisms of the Pharisees.

This hurts his credibility.

I probably won't listen to the rest of his podcasts; but he did give me some paths to explore, should they turn out to be founded in facts.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟377,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I listened to most of this podcast. I kept getting errors; and I had to guess where I was, when I restarted the podcast.

He presents a lot of facts that I was already aware of; and he makes assertions as facts, that I was not aware of. He also presents unsupported conjecture as fact.

It seems that he picks and chooses his facts, mixed with conjecture, that support his dogma. I don't see any difference between that, and his criticisms of the Pharisees.

This hurts his credibility.

I probably won't listen to the rest of his podcasts; but he did give me some paths to explore, should they turn out to be founded in facts.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.
you're welcome.

Upvote 0

be(t)et lamed resh

Feb 1, 2024
Tx
✟18,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Bereshit (Genesis) - Chapter 10​

22The sons of Shem were Elam and Asshur and Arpachshad and Lud and Aram.כבבְּנֵ֥י שֵׁ֖ם עֵילָ֣ם וְאַשּׁ֑וּר וְאַרְפַּכְשַׁ֖ד וְל֥וּד וַֽאֲרָֽם:
23And the sons of Aram were Uz and Hul and Gether and Mash.כגוּבְנֵ֖י אֲרָ֑ם ע֥וּץ וְח֖וּל וְגֶ֥תֶר וָמַֽשׁ:
24And Arpachshad begot Shelah, and Shelah begot Eber.כדוְאַרְפַּכְשַׁ֖ד יָלַ֣ד אֶת־שָׁ֑לַח וְשֶׁ֖לַח יָלַ֥ד אֶת־עֵֽבֶר:

Luke 3:35-36 King James Version (swKJV)
35 Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala,

36 Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,

Brenton's Septuagint (LXX)
Genesis 10:22 Commentaries & Bibles"> Sons of Shem{gr.Sem}, Elam, and Asshur{gr.Assur}, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Syria{gr.Aram}, and Cainan.

Genesis 10:23 Commentaries & Bibles"> And sons of Syria{gr.Aram}, Uz, and Ul, and Gater, and Mosoch.
Genesis 10:24 Commentaries & Bibles"> And Arphaxad begot Cainan, and Cainan begot Sala. And Sala begot Eber{gr.Heber}.

JUBILEES 8
The Earth Divided Into Three Parts For Shem And Ham And Japheth
1 In the twenty-ninth jubilee, in the first week, [1373 A.M.] in the beginning thereof Arpachshad took to himself a wife and her name was Rasu'eja, the daughter of Susan, the daughter of Elam, and she bare him a son in the third year in this week, [1375 A.M.] and he called his name Kainam.

5 And in the thirtieth jubilee, [1429 A.M.] in the second week, in the first year thereof, he took to himself a wife, and her name was Melka, the daughter of Madai, the son of Japheth, and in the fourth year [1432 A.M.] he begat a son, and called his name Shelah; for he said: 'Truly I have been sent.'
Sincere question about the 2 out of 3 witnesses that you brought to attention. Are you certain that they're not apart of the 3 false witnesses called frogs in Rev 16:13

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟163,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Shemot (Exodus) - Chapter 12​

40And the habitation of the children of Israel, that they dwelled in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years.מוּמוֹשַׁב֙ בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֲשֶׁ֥ר יָֽשְׁב֖וּ בְּמִצְרָ֑יִם שְׁלשִׁ֣ים שָׁנָ֔ה וְאַרְבַּ֥ע מֵא֖וֹת שָׁנָֽה:

More witnesses to the corruption:

Samaritan Pentateuch in English (SPE)​

40Now the sojourning of the children of Israel and fathers of them, who dwelt in Canaan and in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years.

Septuagint Bible​

40 And the sojourning of the children of Israel, while they sojourned in the land of Egypt and the land of Chanaan, four hundred and thirty years.

It should be noted that the Dead Sea Scrolls (which are from the pre-Christian era) side with the Masoretic Text on this one, at least in the question of whether it lists just Egypt or lists Egypt and Canaan.

We can see what the Dead Sea Scrolls say in "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible" by Abegg/Flint/Ulrich. It's a very useful work that goes through all of the books of the Bible and includes for each chapter and verse that we have from the Dead Sea Scrolls what the DSS read. The DSS, due to their fragmentary nature, are missing a lot of verses, though; however, it mostly preserves this verse. For this portion of Exodus, it reads on page 44:

"[40 Now the time t]hat the children of Israel [dwel]t in in the land of E[gy]pt was four hundred and thirty years."

The bracketed text shows where the text was missing (this was a very fragmented manuscript), but we can see that there doesn't seem room to have a mention of Canaan there. The portion in italics shows where it's at variants with other sources, and there's a footnote that explains:

4QExodc. in Egypt MT. in the land of Canaan and in the land of Egypt SP. in the land of Egypt and in the land of Canaan LXX.

To explain the footnote: 4QEdocc is the manuscript it's from, MT is Masoretic Text, SP is Samaritan Pentateuch, and LXX is the Septuagint. So like the Masoretic Text, it only says Egypt. However, it still differs from the Masoretic Text in that it says "in the land of Egypt", rather than simply "in Egypt."

While not mentioned in The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible, I'll note the Latin Vulgate--translated from the Hebrew around 400 AD--only mentions Egypt also. It reads "Habitatio autem filiorum Israël qua manserunt in Ægypto, fuit quadringentorum triginta annorum." (the Douey Rheims, a translation of the Latin Vulgate into English, reads "And the abode of the children of Israel that they made in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years.")

There seems much variation about this verse. The DSS says "in the land of Egypt", the MT says "in Egypt", the SP says "in the land of Canaan and in the land of Egypt", the LXX says "in the land of Egypt and in the land of Canaan" (reversing the order of the SP), and the LV says "in Egypt".

Upvote 0

be(t)et lamed resh

Feb 1, 2024
Tx
✟18,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It should be noted that the Dead Sea Scrolls (which are from the pre-Christian era) side with the Masoretic Text on this one, at least in the question of whether it lists just Egypt or lists Egypt and Canaan.

We can see what the Dead Sea Scrolls say in "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible" by Abegg/Flint/Ulrich. It's a very useful work that goes through all of the books of the Bible and includes for each chapter and verse that we have from the Dead Sea Scrolls what the DSS read. The DSS, due to their fragmentary nature, are missing a lot of verses, though; however, it mostly preserves this verse. For this portion of Exodus, it reads on page 44:

"[40 Now the time t]hat the children of Israel [dwel]t in in the land of E[gy]pt was four hundred and thirty years."

The bracketed text shows where the text was missing (this was a very fragmented manuscript), but we can see that there doesn't seem room to have a mention of Canaan there. The portion in italics shows where it's at variants with other sources, and there's a footnote that explains:

4QExodc. in Egypt MT. in the land of Canaan and in the land of Egypt SP. in the land of Egypt and in the land of Canaan LXX.

To explain the footnote: 4QEdocc is the manuscript it's from, MT is Masoretic Text, SP is Samaritan Pentateuch, and LXX is the Septuagint. So like the Masoretic Text, it only says Egypt. However, it still differs from the Masoretic Text in that it says "in the land of Egypt", rather than simply "in Egypt."

While not mentioned in The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible, I'll note the Latin Vulgate--translated from the Hebrew around 400 AD--only mentions Egypt also. It reads "Habitatio autem filiorum Israël qua manserunt in Ægypto, fuit quadringentorum triginta annorum." (the Douey Rheims, a translation of the Latin Vulgate into English, reads "And the abode of the children of Israel that they made in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years.")

There seems much variation about this verse. The DSS says "in the land of Egypt", the MT says "in Egypt", the SP says "in the land of Canaan and in the land of Egypt", the LXX says "in the land of Egypt and in the land of Canaan" (reversing the order of the SP), and the LV says "in Egypt".
Good form so far..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.