How to humble yourself like a little child?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟95,473.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 18:

4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Children are not particularly humble. What does Jesus mean by this?

Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child,
the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus meant it as a contrast. If one lowers himself like a little child in this world, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. I am thinking about my own kids. Before a certain age, they would ask me for answers when they didn't understand something. One time, my #1 son was arguing with a neighbor kid. He brought the kid to settle the dispute and asked me to sort it out for them. Little kids are teachable. Similarly, we should be like little kids before our heavenly Father.

NIV:

Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 23:

12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

awstar

Aug 21, 2004
✟4,448.00
Faith
Methodist
Little kids are teachable. Similarly, we should be like little kids before our heavenly Father.

Being teachable is definitely a helpful quality to have. It helps us to get along better in this world. But to humble ourselves as a child is to realize that without the teaching of what is true we will become more like the world and less like Jesus. The objective of a Christian is to become less like the world. Not like those in the Laodicean church who had one foot in heaven, while keeping one foot in the world enjoying their blessings.

Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: Revelation 3:17

A Christian therefore needs to humble himself — not by reverting back to being wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked — but to know that without Christ in us ruling over us by His Word and His Spirit, that is all we can ever be by our own strength. When He gets around to judging our works we’ll see just how much of our own strength we really had. We make ourselves to be humble as a child when we realize we are dependent on God’s strength for everything. Not just for our justification, but also for our sanctification.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:8-10

Being like a child is to have little strength of our own. We don’t have to make ourselves to have little strength of our own, we’re already there. But our knowing that; we’re not so much there.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟97,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been reading the complete works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer, and he touches on this often. It also makes me think about my approach to God in prayer.

When I was a young child, I thought my parents could answer, solve, fix or repair anything. I trusted them to know. As I grew older, I " figured out the routine" in many things and felt I didn't need their help - until a bigger problem came along.

And isn't that how we become with the Lord? Prayer time becomes a strategy session for how we think it should happen; instead of saying " into thy hands I commit my spirit" , or "Lord, I don't know how to do this, but you know everything so I place this matter into your hands - I let go of it "

Allowing God to hear our concerns and dilemmas, will keep us from becoming bitter and jaded, knowing that although I may not be able; He is able.

Upvote 0