At current rates of consumption, the U.S. has at least two centuries of oil, report says

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟217,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely. We have a responsibility to take care of out planet. However, this requires accurate information and not scaremongering. The boy can only cry wolf so many times before people ignore him. Constant claims of climate cataclysm that fail to predict real world outcomes make it easier to write the wolf off as fiction. "When will this happen" is an important question. Answering that it will happen soon, and it doesn't happen soon, can hurt the cause as much as saying there's no threat to the environment.

It's one thing to show the effect of humans on climate over time. It's quite another to suggest that New York City will be underwater by the year 2000.
What year was Sandy? That was the time businesses and hospitals had to rethink having generators and air systems located in their basements.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟334,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't affect the climate. The climate is going to fo whatever the climate does. We aren't going to stop it. Like I said we could all go back to horse and buggy and the climate is still going to change. Its been warming since the ice age. Our cars are super clean. We have regulations on all.our factories. We are constantly making improvements. I think we are good. What we should be doing is looking into ways to mitigate tge effects of change. It's goingvto happen. We can't stop it. What are we going to do to mitigate it? Adapt to it. If we are smart we would be working hard to find ways to adapt to the changes instead of putting so much effort into trying to alter something we have no control over.

If your car is so super clean, put yourself and your car in your garage, close all doors, and let the car run for awhile -- then tell me how clean it runs, if you live through it. While cars exhaust is cleaner than they were a few decades ago, that does not make them clean.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟257,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
We are stewards of the earth, right?
At some point our bumble-headed way of doing this “stewarding”, there’s going to be a blight that threatens the cocoa bean plant and by shear luck, (bad), that generation would have lost our (major/only?) source for making chocolate. They’ll make “substitutes” which will taste pretty good but it won’t be “chocolate“.

I can live in the world without chocolate and I thank [Whomever] that I have the choice.
Let’s preserve chocolate!

In all seriousness, we need to keep our flora and fauna thriving so future generations can use it.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟385,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What year was Sandy? That was the time businesses and hospitals had to rethink having generators and air systems located in their basements.
The worst hurricane to hit New York was in 1938. Sandy was bad, and happened in 2012, but we're talking about hurricanes. Hurricanes have flooded NYC before and since. The prediction was that NYC would be underwater, not merely subjected to storms, by the year 2000.

Environmentalism is good when it is based on facts. For instance, human activity is proven to influence the climate, pollution poisons humans and wildlife, etc. For what it's worth, I rarely have a problem with climate science. Attention is paid to actual data, and there is incentive for competing computer models to align with reality to the extent that they are able. Climate reporting and activism, on the other hand, are another matter. They tend to play fast and loose with the facts, playing to emotion rather than logic. This is dangerous, as failed alarmist predictions give credence to those who think it's okay to pollute and waste precious resources.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

I have become comfortably numb.
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟262,574.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But yeah, it's mostly political identity coloring one's perception of science.
And it's a nonsensical position. 'It's the left trying to make political capital out of it'. Completely ignoring that every political system on the planet in any country you could name, from North Korea to Sweden, from China to the US, is saying 'Yeah, there's a problem. We need to do something about it'.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And it's a nonsensical position. 'It's the left trying to make political capital out of it'. Completely ignoring that every political system on the planet in any country you could name, from North Korea to Sweden, from China to the US, is saying 'Yeah, there's a problem. We need to do something about it'.
And it was the right who tried to make it partisan in the first place. We fixed acid rain and the ozone hole because Limbaugh’s deriding it as stupid liberal nonsense hadn’t gotten enough market share to undermine it yet.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟343,327.00
Faith
Pentecostal
There's a little bit of religious fatalism woven in there: God is going to rapture the Christians and destroy the world, so there's less incentive to keep the place nice.

But yeah, it's mostly political identity coloring one's perception of science.
See post #35. That should dispel your "Less incentive" silliness.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
See post #35. That should dispel your "Less incentive" silliness.
A lot of hyperbole that doesn't dispel anything. The climate is clearly behaving in an unusual way, but it is also clear that it is very important to some people that human activity not have anything to do with it. Exaggerations and conspiracy theories do not dispel the suspicion that there is something merely self-serving behind that denial.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Nope, science hasn't proven that we do affect the climate, especially to any degree that is significant.
What would it take (i.e. what sort of evidence would have to be provided to you) for you to abandon that belief?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟343,327.00
Faith
Pentecostal
What would it take (i.e. what sort of evidence would have to be provided to you) for you to abandon that belief?
Proof that man has caused the change. Of course that can't be proven since the climate has been changing for all time. Even when man wasnt here.

They've been predicting total disaster for sometime now.

50 years of predictions that the climate apocalypse is nigh

Climatoligists have been wrong a lot.

Some actual evidence would be nice.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Proof that man has caused the change. Of course that can't be proven since the climate has been changing for all time. Even when man wasnt here.

They've been predicting total disaster for sometime now.

50 years of predictions that the climate apocalypse is nigh

Climatoligists have been wrong a lot.

Some actual evidence would be nice.
If 50 years of folks proclaiming that the “climate apocalypse is nigh”, shows that it’s bogus, what does that portend for that other apocalypse?

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟155,793.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
This sounds like the arguments I hear from people, particularly young people, about bad habits like smoking. Basically, they are going to die anyway and the bad effects are decades in the future, and they can always quit if it becomes a problem.

Personally, I think we need to do as God commanded in the Bible, to be good stewards of His Creation, the Earth.
Unfortunately it's a mixed message, as easily taken as
essentially the opposite.

Upvote 0