Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Your premise is somewhat flawed. It is possible that Judaism and Christianity evolved from Zoroastrianism, but that said evolution was still inspired by God. I do not endorse this thesis, but it is a possibility.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How would you argue that Judiasm/Christianity is actually inspired by God and didn't evolve from Zoroastrianism during the Babylonian Exile?
Modern Zoroastrianism as an organized religion didn’t originate until well into the Sassanid era. Even the earliest copies of the Zoroastrian scriptures the Avesta date to the Sassanid era. There was no such thing as Zoroastrianism (as it now is) during the Achaemenid empire, Persians had their own traditional gods much like the Babylonians and other pantheons albeit with more mysticism. Zoroastrianism incorporated the traditional Persian religions into a dualistic faith. With the various deities taking on the roles of semi gods subservient to Ahura Mazda. Zoroastrianism, if anything was the one that copied the idea of Monotheism (even though Zoroastrianism isn’t entirely Monotheistic) off of Judaism and Christianity and not the other way around. Zoroastrianism underwent serious evolution after its contact with Judaism and later Christianity, if Judaism and later Christianity were the ones that evolved from Zoroastrianism then you’d expect to see major changes after the two faiths had contact after the exile, however we see quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How would you argue that Judiasm/Christianity is actually inspired by God and didn't evolve from Zoroastrianism during the Babylonian Exile?

That's kind of a "chicken or the egg" type question. Abraham was a semite, and may have been a Zoroastrian, or quasi Zoroastrian, or proto Zoroastrian and then more or less became the first Jew.

There may be some Babylonian influence on Judaism but I see it as a form of rejection of Babylonian religion rather than an adoption of it. The snake in the garden of Eden walked on legs, but was an enemy of mankind. He had his legs removed as punishment.

Attachments

• 732.jpg
    732.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Well, from what I have gathered is that the surviving texts of the Avesta date centuries after Christ ascended (224-651 AD), with the oldest surviving manuscript in the Avestan language dating to 1323 AD.

It is not uncommon for other beliefs, pagan ones at that, to share similar concepts about moral living, an afterlife, and the worship of some deity. In Sumerian mythology, there are stories that resemble the ones we find in Genesis, but they are completely different with few of them actually using some similar statements (like what you may read in the Epic of Gilgamesh about a worldwide deluge). It is argued that Judaism was inspired by these Mesopotamian myths, because the written material (stone, clay, etc) precede the dating of Genesis. However, that doesn't mean anything. My history textbook was published a decade ago, but the content written therein is older than its publication. Sure, the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Hammurabi Code may have been recorded prior to Moses, but that doesn't mean that the publication of the first five books copied them when God wrote down the sacred history through Moses. It contains events preceding the Sumerian works, even though it was published after their stories.

Very likely, and most assuredly true, they copied from us. I use the Epic of Gilgamesh, among the other Sumerian and Babylonian myths, as an example. The fact that modern scholars agree that it 2100 BC is very interesting, because according to biblical date we have in Scripture the Flood would have happened somewhere around 2348 BC, just centuries before the Epic was written! This would mean that there was a deep impression of that catastrophic event still in the minds of those who lived just centuries after it. We also find similar stories of a giant deluge in other cultures (like China), why is that? And, according to the Sumerian king list, a man by the name of Jushur is believed to have ruled the land of Kish after the flood. Now, whether he was a real person or not, I don't know, but they believed that there was a chronology of rulers before and after a worldwide flood. Very interesting. When I read things like this it really strengthens my faith in God's word, showing us that we didn't invent these stories, but that we are retelling what really happened and that other cultures devoid of God circulated such stories with their own pagan distortion!

But back to the Zoroastrianism, how was Judeo-Christian beliefs influenced by a religion very distant from the Hebrews?

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I'd argue that Judaism was influenced by Zoroastrianism, just as Christianity was influenced by Judaism.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
As I see it Zoroastrianism or Mazda Yasnian complemented the Bible in at least two ways... One was through "The Anointed of the Lord" in Cyrus the Great who allowed the Jews to return to the Holy Land and rebuild the Temple of The Lord and again as Magi following a prophecy of the appearance of the Saviour/Messiah Jesus Christ... Later Saint Augustine had been a Manichaean prior to his becoming a Christian.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think it has much influence on my faith one way or the other. The exact sources of the beliefs doesn't really influence my views on the Bible's ultimate inspiration.

Upvote 0

Tony Bristow-Stagg

Sep 29, 2018
Normanton Far North West Queensland
✟21,550.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married

Personally I would see what is written as the Word of God. As I am unable to meet the Prophet, I can read reliable accounts of what He said and offered.

I see the fundamental virtues would not have changed between Messages, but maybe a few laws and observances may have change. I would also look at the recorded history of the age when the Messages was given. Were the people the Message was given to, in need of change, were virtues at an ebb?

I see the Bible reflects these ideas.

Regards Tony

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Does Zoroastrians claim that all men are sinners (i.e. just thought is enough to sin, hate= murder and lust=adultery)?
Does Zoroastrians claim that men can't save themselves but only through grace of God?

Upvote 0

RichardY

Holotheist. Whig. Monarchical Modalism.
Apr 11, 2019
Spalding
✟16,984.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Zorastarianism is a dualism between "A Good side and An Evil side". Some what akin to the Dark and the light in Star Wars, but with less credibility.

Unitarian Christianity as less credible than Islam; extreme egotist Jesus,Jesus: hey God! beam me down a last supper. God: Ok Jesus!

I think Pantheism is the outcome of Evil. I haven't looked too much into it(Youtube depth of knowledge mostly), but the Aztec Religion and Hegel. Both seem to Acknowledge a Panenthesitc view of reality, and that approaching Pantheism through blood sacrifice is a noble goal..... I thought it was interesting that Mormons had human blood letting as form of atonement. What's the current mormon/christian views on that?

Not sure where Hindu's and Buddhists stand, looks a mess.

Upvote 0

Tony Bristow-Stagg

Sep 29, 2018
Normanton Far North West Queensland
✟21,550.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married
Does Zoroastrians claim that all men are sinners (i.e. just thought is enough to sin, hate= murder and lust=adultery)?
Does Zoroastrians claim that men can't save themselves but only through grace of God?

Maybe a little study is required to answer that. For me it always helps if ones interest is pursued by ones own heart.

Zoroastrianism - Wikipedia

What you will find is a Faith in tune with what Jesus the Christ taught, albeit a lot older.

Regards Tony

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe a little study is required to answer that. For me it always helps if ones interest is pursued by ones own heart.

Zoroastrianism - Wikipedia

What you will find is a Faith in tune with what Jesus the Christ taught, albeit a lot older.

Regards Tony

Thanks for the link. I just read through, and here are some of the observations:
Similarities:
1. It claims of one God, same as Christianity and Islam.
2. Pantheism, which is definitely different than Christianity and Islam.

Differences:
1 "The religion states that active participation in life through good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay". I would definitely say it is different from Christianity, as if we don't have God, no amount of good deeds will ensure happiness. In Christianity the Grace of God ensures all, it is not good works (although good works do follow the presence of God).
2. And finally, this is more like the dividing line between Christianity and all other religion, there is no mention that men can't save themselves, which is distinct in Christianity.

And I don't think Zoroastrianisms is older, as it is founded 700BCE, Abraham lives much earlier than that.

Upvote 0