Zoris OS Linux

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟422,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Has anyone ever heard of this distribution for linux? I am going to install it to see how well it works with my old HP Compaq Pro 6300 desktop. Just wondering if it will be better than Windows 10.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Has anyone ever heard of this distribution for linux? I am going to install it to see how well it works with my old HP Compaq Pro 6300 desktop. Just wondering if it will be better than Windows 10.
Zorin OS is based on Ubuntu, so it should be very user friendly.

It will also be a joy to update, as when Linux updates it updates all of the installed programs you installed through the OS repositories. Which means almost everything. I find it crazy to keep everything updated with Windows, having to go program by program. In Linux it is one simple command and everything is up to date again.

Zorin OS uses considerable RAM. Minimum is 8 GB. The Ultimate is 20 GB. Check what you have now. The good thing is RAM is relatively cheap and you can max out the RAM. Check to be sure but it looks like you have 4 slots that can use up to 32 GB of RAM. An 8 GB stick will be about $32. It's the single best thing you can do to improve performance.

The other two good things you can do are to install Linux as you planned and to install a SSD if you don't already have one. Those are screaming fast, use less power, and are absolutely silent. You could buy one when you soup up your RAM.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am using the Zorin OS lite edition...does that use less RAM?
They say a minimum of 8 GB. You could probably get away with less. But more is better with RAM. And it's cheap.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well their site says the Lite edition uses only 512mb of RAM. I think I will be fine.
Zorin OS: System Requirements

The OS itself uses little but get a big program like the Chrome browser with a bunch of tabs and you will need more. A minimal Linux can run on 32 KB of RAM, or at least in the old days. Try it with what you have, but if it seems at all sluggish buy some serious RAM and see how much better it will run.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟422,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am using Zoris now and its by far the fastest OS I have used to date. It even recognized my usb wifi doggle right away! I think I found a keeper!!

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am using Zoris now and its by far the fastest OS I have used to date. It even recognized my usb wifi doggle right away! I think I found a keeper!!
Linux is pretty darn good stuff. I have not used Ubuntu or anything based off of it but I know others who really like Ubuntu. I'm glad it is a winner for you. It should be a keeper for anyone with an older computer with Windows 7 who doesn't want to shell out serious money to buy Windows 10 or a whole new computer. Installing Linux, by itself, is like a whole new computer. And it's pretty friendly even compared to Windows.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
They say a minimum of 8 GB. You could probably get away with less. But more is better with RAM. And it's cheap.

I think you may be confusing RAM requirements for Zorin OS LIte with its storage requirements.
Zorin OS: System Requirements

Zorin OS Lite

CPU 700 MHz Single Core - 64-bit or 32-bit
RAM 512 MB
Storage 8 GB
Display 640 × 480 resolution
OB

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Zorin OS is based on Ubuntu, so it should be very user friendly.

It will also be a joy to update, as when Linux updates it updates all of the installed programs you installed through the OS repositories. Which means almost everything. I find it crazy to keep everything updated with Windows, having to go program by program. In Linux it is one simple command and everything is up to date again.

Zorin OS uses considerable RAM. Minimum is 8 GB. The Ultimate is 20 GB. Check what you have now. The good thing is RAM is relatively cheap and you can max out the RAM. Check to be sure but it looks like you have 4 slots that can use up to 32 GB of RAM. An 8 GB stick will be about $32. It's the single best thing you can do to improve performance.

The other two good things you can do are to install Linux as you planned and to install a SSD if you don't already have one. Those are screaming fast, use less power, and are absolutely silent. You could buy one when you soup up your RAM.
Note my mistake about the amount of RAM required. I misread the system requirements. This one is very lean on RAM required. That said, RAM is cheap and adding more can help for people who are more to the power user side.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Zorin, I believe, is based on Ubuntu, so you will have access to the Ubuntu repositories and should have good software and hardware support.

I think they are still using Gnome Shell as the graphical desktop environment and have added their own modifications to give a familiar feel to those migrating from Windows. I'm not sure which version of Gnome they are using. Gnome is notoriously RAM intensive although in recent updates of the DE they've cleared up a lot of the code and there have been performance improvements.

I use Fedora on my laptop and desktop. Fedora uses Gnome by default, but it is a very up to date version, and the performance improvements are very noticeable, especially on my laptop.

Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hi, I am using Linux mint. It uses the Chromium web browser which says it needs to be updated. When I click on 'Update' it says "Cannot update Chromium" Anyone got any ideas? Also, what is the difference between Chromium and Chrome?

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I am using Linux mint. It uses the Chromium web browser which says it needs to be updated. When I click on 'Update' it says "Cannot update Chromium" Anyone got any ideas? Also, what is the difference between Chromium and Chrome?
I installed Linux Mint for my Dad and he absolutely loves it. Versions of this OS are getting better with every release. I was surprised that they are now using Chromium (?) as I thought they always used Firefox by default? Maybe that has changed now. If I'm correct, then Chromium is an open source project and Chrome is a proprietary browser that is based on it and branded by Google. Chrome has additional features such as codecs which are not included with Chromium.

Did you try updating Chromium in the Software Manager? If this doesn't work, you could try opening a terminal and typing: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade. This will upgrade all the packages on your system.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I love my Fedora!

picc.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gnome is notoriously RAM intensive

Zorin Lite uses the XFCE desktop enviro, which is quite light, yet still very usable. Quite close to Win7 I think. The distro I use, MX, uses it by default, and when I'm booted up I use less than 640KB of RAM, with a few small progs running in the background.

Many of the browsers do handle update notifications in Linux, but do not do the auto-updating itself, because that is best done through the system package manager, which is probably Synaptics in Mint, so dependencies can be kept under control.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Zorin Lite uses the XFCE desktop enviro, which is quite light, yet still very usable. Quite close to Win7 I think. The distro I use, MX, uses it by default, and when I'm booted up I use less than 640KB of RAM, with a few small progs running in the background.
You're right! I've just seen that the Lite version is using XFCE. I'm presuming the Ultimate version is using Gnome - I see they use the Dash-to-Dock extension for the Mac OS style customisation!

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟422,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
thanks all for the good chats on the linux platform! Its good to see others using linux too :grinning:

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
thanks all for the good chats on the linux platform! Its good to see others using linux too :grinning:
It's an great system and it makes me wonder sometimes why so many people are not using it. It does everything other OS's do, but much more securely and efficiently. I started with Mandrake, Suse, Redhat and finally settled with Fedora. I do use Boxes to take different OS's for a spin as I like to see what is going on the Linux world.
Hope you have a great time using Zorin OS!

Upvote 0